Thanks Thanks:  2

Thread: Billy Twigger - sad news

Default Billy Twigger - sad news

I'm afraid there's been a downturn in Ewan's condition. With Firth of Forth's permission I've copied her two most recent posts in the Geox forum about him below. The first post is from Monday and the second is from today.

I'm sorry to say that Ewan's (aka Billy Twigger) move from hospital to home just before Christmas was short-lived and he was back in hospital within a week or two.

In the last month, Ewan's health has deteriorated significantly, and he is not expected to survive and is receiving palliative care. He has a very strong heart that keeps him going, but the strain on his family, who visit every day, must be tremendous.

I know that those of you who had the good fortune to know Ewan, or to cache with him, or even to do any of his marvellous caches, will be very sorry to hear this. He is such a nice guy and neither he nor his family deserve what they have been through these last two and a half years. For those of you new to caching, Ewan fell from a cliff on Bute (while cache setting) and suffered very serious injuries in September 2006.
    I have received updates from Ewan's Dad. I'm afraid that the news is stark:
    "I'm very sorry to say that the hope of him carving out some satisfactory wheelchair bound lifestyle has gone and we are all braced for the only possible outcome - the end of his life."
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Thanks for that Bill. I have wondered how Ewan was doing from time to time and this is not what I was hoping to hear. I'm sure all our good wishes go out to Ewan and his family at this very difficult time.

Thanks for keeping us up to date. Sad news indeed.

I know what the family is going through. I have recently lost my dad, on the 3rd of April, a tough time for us all, as we were very close.

Our thoughts are with Ewan and his family.

I'm very sorry to have to say that Ewan died today around noon. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Very sad news indeed. My thoughts are with Ewans family.

Oh dear, that is indeed very sad news. I just hope that Ewan's family can gain a crumb of comfort from knowing that there are a lot of people who never met him but feel they knew him and who have been touched by his passing.

Simply Paul Guest

Dreadful news. There's not much more I can add, apart from wishing the best to his family and friends, and hoping Ewan's caches can continue on, as The Cat's have, as a reminded of someone who put a lot -too much perhaps, given the tragic circumstances of his accident- into caching.

Ewan's funeral will be this coming Friday, 5th June, at 1.00pm at the Linn Crematorium, Lainshaw Drive, Glasgow G45 9SP.

There will be an after-service reception at Haggs Castle Golf clubhouse, 70 Dumbreck Road G41 4SN.

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Paul View Post
    Dreadful news. There's not much more I can add, apart from wishing the best to his family and friends, and hoping Ewan's caches can continue on, as The Cat's have, as a reminded of someone who put a lot -too much perhaps, given the tragic circumstances of his accident- into caching.
    It looks as if Ewan's caches will continue. I've asked about this on GeoX, and apparently Ewan's son has a caching account, so if he continues caching no doubt he'll maintain them. If he doesn't continue it sounds as if there will be plenty of volunteers to do so.