Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Profile Problem

The Bennett Family Guest

Anyone else getting this or just me?

When I try to look at a profile I get the following :-

"Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature.
    If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below."

I am logged in!...honest.

Go on tell me i'm doing something daft.

Originally posted by The Bennett Family@Jun 7 2003, 10:10 AM

Sorry, we had to disable certain features of the forum software.

The Profile info has been disabled because when people signed up we promised not to make info about members available.

Avatars and some other functions have been disabled, at least temporarily, until we can guage the load on the server. The GAGB site is hosted on a high speed production server and we are concerned that we might impair performance of all sites hosted there. Actually, I thought I had removed all mention of avatars, sorry

Hopefully, when things have settled down, we will be able to turn "stuff" on untill we start to see some degradation of service.

Perhaps some issues like the profile can be decided democratically by a poll of the members.

Feedback is always welcome.

Originally posted by The Bennett Family@Jun 7 2003, 10:10 AM

I think it's doing for everyone.

It's a permissions problem, and possibly may be activated if enough users ask for the facility to be set up.

I'm having more problems with the 'brreadcrumb' trail not showing me where I've got to when I do hit a problem.
    One day my sigline will stop changing.
    Until then, it's "Lost in the woods? Not if you remembered to waypoint the car!!".

Paul G0TLG Guest

Perhaps some issues like the profile can be decided democratically by a poll of the members.
    Perhaps when each member sets up their profile there could be an option for "Make this information publicly available" (ooh, spelling&#33.

For my part, GAGB have permission to publish my profile...

Paul G0TLG
    Another weekend, another muddy puddle...

Daisy&me Guest

It would certainly be nice to know who the members are and how many there are.

To be honest, I can't think of a reason for having a 'profile' if not to make it public. My profile on other forums is public and I only put stuff into the profile that I'm happy for people to see. It's good to be able to find out a bit about the people you're interacting with. As far as I am concerned, anything I put into my GAGB profile is there for all to see and I'm quite happy for all to see it.
    Having said all that, I don't actually think I've created much of a profile here. Best I go and look
    John
    Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

Originally posted by Pharisee@Jun 9 2003, 04:19 PM
    To be honest, I can't think of a reason for having a 'profile' if not to make it public. My profile on other forums is public and I only put stuff into the profile that I'm happy for people to see. It's good to be able to find out a bit about the people you're interacting with. As far as I am concerned, anything I put into my GAGB profile is there for all to see and I'm quite happy for all to see it.
    I agree completely.

I only show what I'm happy with others getting to see, and it does help to get to know other members of the community.

I'm all for making profiles public 'if agreeable', and permission is given.

There is, after all, nothing stopping you leaving your profile blank.

Showing email addresses is a different matter, but I'm fairly certain the forum can send emails to the 'anonymous' user as the forum has a valid address for them.

Just my £0.02p
    One day my sigline will stop changing.
    Until then, it's "Lost in the woods? Not if you remembered to waypoint the car!!".