Thanks Thanks:  3

Thread: Newbie Q - Do I need permission to place a cache on a footpath?

Default Newbie Q - Do I need permission to place a cache on a footpath?

Title says it all really - footpath along edge of field. Nothing sensitive there. Do I need to get permission, or is the fact its on a footpath enough?

Thanks!

Unofficially, as I'm not even a member of the GAGB, the answer is...it depends. In a way, it's harder for GAGB "officials" to answer, as they are bound to stick to the official policy rather than mentioning common practice.

Assuming the land isn't a SSSI, New Forest, historic or archaeological site or any other area that has special conditions, then strictly speaking, yes, you still need permission from the footpath manager (probably the County Council Rights of Way Officer). If the cache is placed a few feet away from the path (as is likely), then you'll need to contact the farmer or whoever manages the land (if you can obtain contact details). If you take GAGB advice, permission may well be merely a formality if you've chosen a suitable area.

In practice, if it's out in open land well away from population centres and industry, not directly on land that gets exploited for economic gain (e.g. a farmer's field), and discreetly-hidden (not too big, easy access from the path but no chance of being spotted unless specifically searched for, and utilises a natural hiding place), and you're familiar with the location, then you should get away with just placing it. Don't tell anyone I said that, though, it's strictly unofficial advice!

If it's out in typical British countryside, bear in mind that there will be a prominent trail leading to the cache after only half a dozen visits!

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Humphrey View Post
    Unofficially, as I'm not even a member of the GAGB, the answer is...it depends. In a way, it's harder for GAGB "officials" to answer, as they are bound to stick to the official policy rather than mentioning common practice.

Assuming the land isn't a SSSI, New Forest, historic or archaeological site or any other area that has special conditions, then strictly speaking, yes, you still need permission from the footpath manager (probably the County Council Rights of Way Officer). If the cache is placed a few feet away from the path (as is likely), then you'll need to contact the farmer or whoever manages the land (if you can obtain contact details). If you take GAGB advice, permission may well be merely a formality if you've chosen a suitable area.

In practice, if it's out in open land well away from population centres and industry, not directly on land that gets exploited for economic gain (e.g. a farmer's field), and discreetly-hidden (not too big, easy access from the path but no chance of being spotted unless specifically searched for, and utilises a natural hiding place), and you're familiar with the location, then you should get away with just placing it. Don't tell anyone I said that, though, it's strictly unofficial advice!

If it's out in typical British countryside, bear in mind that there will be a prominent trail leading to the cache after only half a dozen visits!
    Its actually just off the path, as you so rightly say. Actually, having posted the message, I appreciate that any members of the GAGB committee can only reply saying that I *MUST* get land owners permission, otherwise it could come back & bite them on the bottom in some future dispute.

Thank you for your unofficial advice - I do appreciate it! Its along the lines of how I was thinking, but I wondered if anyone else would think it was okay!

I wonder who *does* own the field though ....??!

I think HH has summed up common practice very well.

GAGB would always advise seeking the landowner's permission, though I do realise that sometimes it's well-nigh impossible to identify who owns the land.

If you're listing the cache on gc.com, they require that the cache has "adequate permission", which I've always felt is a poor choice of words as it's open to so many interpretations.

Do check our Landowner Agreements database in case the spot you're thinking of is covered by a blanket agreement. With some of the agreements you can just go ahead and place your cache without asking permission from the landowner provided it meets their requirements. With some you need to notify the landowner, and some require prior permission.

Note that there are also some Refusals listed, though depending on where you are in Wiltshire they probably don't apply to your intended location.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Thanks Bill,

The area isn't covered by any of the agreements, but also not by any of the restrictions (hooray!)

I'll have to see what i canfind out about the land owner...

I used to be a Groundspeak Reviewer for the UK and during my time "in office" I took the view that if a cache was accessible from a right of way, then "Adequate" permission was in place and I published the cache. The exceptions were caches placed on land covered by GAGB agreements.

I am not aware that this approach has changed

Default Thank you ...

.. All sorted :-)