Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Times weekend article

nobbynobbs Guest

Default Times weekend article

We've been approached by a journalist from the Times wanting to meet up with some geocachers to learn about the hobby. She's happy to drive out of London into the countryside.

Is there anyone who'd like the opportunity to be mentioned in the Times? or an event happening somewhere good that she might come along to?

Quote Originally Posted by nobbynobbs View Post
    We've been approached by a journalist from the Times wanting to meet up with some geocachers to learn about the hobby. She's happy to drive out of London into the countryside.

Is there anyone who'd like the opportunity to be mentioned in the Times? or an event happening somewhere good that she might come along to?
    Not another journo looking for an easy space-filler that will bring yet another tranche of noobs. It might help keep the journo in a job, but does it actually enhance our hobby? What happened to keeping it covert? There is almost no such thing as a "muggle" now. Oh and please, not an event - there are so many new cachers now that think caching is all about kiddies entertainment- so that caches are all becoming micros 200 yards from the car park. I know we all started once - I blame Simply Paul for my initiation in 2005 - but isn't there a point where a mass influx of people looking for family-based entertainment simply drives out the creativity and challenge of caching in the old days?

Rant over.

Qichina, I do take your points. I think though that if she's decided to do an article about caching she'll probably do so anyway, with or without any input from cachers, and I think it's better that she gets the facts right. I've seen far too many articles about "buried treasure", which of course give totally the wrong impression.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

If the right person meets the journalist they could actually get some of your points across...which would help caching rather than spoil it.

I'd love to see an article where the phrase "high-tech" doesn't get a mention, where the swaps are relegated to a minor "aside" and where the accent is more on a "walk with a point" than trying to portray the game as some sort of geeks-on-the-treasure-trail or something.

After all, none of us is a geek, we take little interest in gadgets, we never spend more than a minute or two on the internet and we never rush out to a cache just because there's some treasure item in it. Do we?

Seriously, I don't think it would be so popular if it wasn't for the core attraction of short country walks with a sense of purpose, and if that can come across it should encourage the "right sort of person".

forestferret Guest

i think maybe if someone took her to a cache at the top of mount snowdon she could write about how hard the walk to the top was and that should put off any chav types