Thanks Thanks:  0

View Poll Results: Would you log this?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... and I'll claim FTF rights!

2 1.71%
  • Yes... but only after a few others have found it first.

62 52.99%
  • Yes... but only as a "Note" explaining the situation.

6 5.13%
  • No... I don't think so... It just wouldn't feel "right".

14 11.97%
  • No, definitely not! How can I "find" it if I already know exactly where it is?

30 25.64%
  • Some other cunning idea that I haven't thought of? Please explain :-)

3 2.56%

Thread: Would you log this?

Question Would you log this?

Here's a poll, based on a bit of angst currently being discussed elsewhere...

Scenario: Your 10 year old child has their own geocaching account and you help them set up their first cache. You go with them and help choose the spot, help with getting the container OK, help them do the listing.

It then gets published! :socool:

But... do you log it?

Never tried setting a Poll before, it seems to have worked. Sorry about the spelling mistake but I can't seem to edit the actually poll options to correct it.
    Last edited by Mrs Blorenge; 16th May 2009 at 12:49 PM.

I voted for "Some other cunning idea that I haven't thought of? Please explain :-)".

This is exactly the situation I had with my daughters cache "Conkers Bonkers" . I waited until I went there with the missus (we often cache together but logged the caches together under my name.), I let her find the cache with no help from me and then logged it as a find and noted the situation in my log at https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log....d-53acabde3e85

At the end of the day, who cares? the only person who can delete the log is the cache owner, who presumably won't do so for fear of having sweet/tv/computer rations cut . If anyone else gets uptight about it then they need to get a life I do think it would be completely out of order to grab FTF on it though!

Wait until the first DNF, then go and find it!
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bear and Ragged View Post
    Ditto - or give it a few weeks

keehotee Guest

No, definitely not! How can I "find" it if I already know exactly where it is?
    So presumably the 3 who ticked this box also wouldn't dare log a find on all those traditional caches hidden under the only tree/rock/gorse bush within 50 metres of the co-ords either. ????? lol

nobbynobbs Guest

like others, after a period of time, maybe on the first maintenance trip.

I've been out with arock&ahardplace when she was setting a cache. I have no problem logging her caches, but I do have two personal rules which I never break.

1, I never claim FTF on her caches (in fact I never go for FTF on any caches these days, as it would mess up GC.com member stats).
    2, I never sign the log while it is being place, and only claim the cache after I re-visit it and sign the log.
    I'm just going outside, and may be some time!

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    Never tried setting a Poll before, it seems to have worked. Sorry about the spelling mistake but I can't seem to edit the actually poll options to correct it.
    Oops, sorry Mrs B, I've only just noticed that bit. I've now corrected the mistake. Better late than never...
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Quote Originally Posted by Bear and Ragged View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by keehotee View Post
    Ditto - or give it a few weeks
    Double ditto thats exactly what I did with my daughters first cache , mind you there were a lot of DNF's because of muggles at a nearby bus stop that was always empty whenever we visited

Triple ditto - I logged my 10 year old son's cache on the first maintenance visit.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

Mr.Coffee and the Coffee Clan Guest

If you did log it you may be the one standing alone at the next Event get together. Bad caching Karma leads to many DNF's.

I would log it but only after it had had a good number of finds. I'd probably visit it to do something like drop a trackable and explain the circumstances in my log.

Can't help thinking that if my kids did set up a cache, they'd never tell me the co-ords, they'd make me find it fair and square!

Not much difference to a "group" find on an Event walk, for example, and there must have been hundreds of those over the years....

Smurf and I have both logged each others first hides just to get them off the list. We could have ignored them but there's no need to do that unless the cache is hatefull. For some reason we haven't logged each others 2nd or 3rd hides and he hasn't logged my 4th. We both logged my 5th though since it was an event.

The way I see it is if you only go with someone setting a cache to get the smiley then you're only cheating yourself. If you are a caching team with separate accounts then I see no problem with logging it after a few finds.

Cool

I'd log but I'd wait a while before I did though

nope, I wouldn't log it.
    In effect the way you described it makes it exactly the same as logging your own hides.

ignore list all the way.

There are more than enough caches not to need that extra one.

Naah, I think it'd be a bit like loging your own cache.
    A cache a day ..

I would log it a few months after the cache had been placed, probably on a maintenance trip.

Bradford or where ever ive parked the geotruck

I would log it but I'd wait until the local FTF hounds have had a go.

If I set the log with my children (which I don't have BTW), I would not log it. I have, however, logged a find placed by a friend when I was there when he placed it. But I did wait until there was some questions raised about the co-ordinates so I went to find it as an independant co-ordinate tester. I didn't check how much it varied from the published, just advised my friend the co-ordinates of where I found the cache.

I would not log it, I like my find number and trackable count to be accurate and not log a find just because I can.

Probably not - it would probably go straight on the 'ignore' list. It just wouldn't feel right.

searchjaunt Guest

I would consider it as a being the tester of a caches who's also allowed to log the cache after the podium is 'taken'

I have seen this happen many times -
    Also where husbands and wives with separate accounts go out and one helps the other place a trail using one caching ID and then the other goes out when they are published and tries to get FTFs on them all

Its not a treasure hunt !! - they know where they are !! - what is the point !!
    Tim - ddm

Slightly different, my son and I both placed caches and sent off for review and they came out the same day. As he doesn't drive he asked if I'd take him to find one of mine, not knowing someone was already out there doing my loop, we went for the first, but this was already signed, so we worked backwards and he found that with a clean log sheet, so signed and claimed FTF, afterwards finding out that this was a DNF for the two who were trying to bag all the FTF's before someone else in our area got there.............lol then I drove over to his hide and I found that and claimed FTF.