Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Updating to Firefox 3 - problems

Default Updating to Firefox 3 - problems

I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.20. Recently I updated to version 3, and about two thirds of my bookmarks and two thirds of my stored passwords disappeared.

I keep written records of passwords, so that was just an inconvenience, but losing two thirds of my bookmarks was a big issue, as I have a lot of them, and many are sites that I only use very infrequently but when I do they're indispensible.

My temporary fix was to reinstall v2 over v3, which brought everything back, but as v2 is no longer supported I do want to update.

I'm sure it's possible to update without losing all those passwords and bookmarks, but I've no idea how. Can anyone help with this?

Edit to add: I'm using Win XP Pro, in case that's relevant.
    Last edited by Bill D (wwh); 22nd May 2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: As above
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

It's been awhile...
    I think that your bookmarks are saved somewhere...
    Don't ask where, I can't remember!

add.
    If you can find it, copy it to your desk top, install FF3, then copy back into new folder.
    Last edited by Bear and Ragged; 22nd May 2009 at 11:58 PM. Reason: add
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

Default Firefox Forums Help

Bill

There are quite a few people experiencing similar problems according to their forums here.

There are a few tips that might work here

Good luck!
    Last edited by 11011100; 23rd May 2009 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Spelin misteak

"Finding oneself is the quest of life...”

Your bookmarks are kept in a starightforward html file, it will be somewhere like:

C:/Documents and Settings/username/Application Data/Mozilla/Firefox/???????.default/bookmarks.html

where ?????? is a random looking string and username is your user name.

Just try searching for a file named bookmarks.html but remember to search hidden and system files. you can copy it away, upgrade, and copy it back and everything should be OK.

As far as I can remember -bookmarks, organise bookmarks, export html - will save a web page with all your links.
    In FF3 it would be -bookmarks, organise bookmarks, Import and Backup,export html.

Thanks, folks, for all the suggestions! :cheers:

I got there in the end, but it took an age... My bookmarks ended up in a new folder inside my bookmarks folder, but I can move those to get them all into my huge dropdown list.

I found an Add-on to export and import passwords, and though a few seem to have got missed somehow, I've got most of them back again and things in v3 are now pretty well how they should be.

Glad you got it sorted Bill. You might want to have a look at the Firefox Add-in Xmarks. It's free and keeps a copy of your bookmarks online. If you use more than one PC it will keep the bookmarks synchronised between them. It's really useful if/when you have to reinstall stuff on a broken PC !!

Quote Originally Posted by The Hornet View Post
    Glad you got it sorted Bill. You might want to have a look at the Firefox Add-in Xmarks. It's free and keeps a copy of your bookmarks online. If you use more than one PC it will keep the bookmarks synchronised between them. It's really useful if/when you have to reinstall stuff on a broken PC !!
    Thanks for the link, Peter! I only use one pc at home, but I often use friends' computers when I'm away and that will save me a lot of searches! And as you say, it'll potentially be very useful for reinstalling, God forbid...!

Hmm, I've now gone back to v2...

V3 was sooooooo slow... Pages took an age to even begin loading, and my CPU was running at 100% pretty well all the time I was using v3. And worse, it seemed to slow down everything else on my computer too.

It seems these are common problems - Mozilla's forums are awash with posts from people who've experienced them, and Mozilla recognise that but don't seem able to help. I tried all the suggestions in their knowledgebase, and they either didn't help at all or exacerbated the problem.

Versions 1 and 2 were great, but I'm afraid version 3, for me and a substantial minority of other users, is a massive PITA. As v2 is no longer supported and is probably going to become rather dodgy security-wise I'm now looking around for another browser.