Thanks Thanks:  5

Thread: Rechargeable batteries

Default Rechargeable batteries

OK.

Upgraded my GPSR from a Garmin 12 to an Oregon 300. Very nice bit of kit btw.

One drawback. Due to the colour screen, it eats battery life like there is no tomorrow.

Now, this could get really expensive in good quality normal batteries, so my question is...

Can anyone recommend a make/model of recharging unit and batteries?

Many thanks

Daddy_Moose
    He who hesitates is not only lost, but miles from the next exit.

How Many Roads Must A Man Walk Down Before He Admits Hes lost?

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. - TS ELLIOT

zwei ormers Guest

Try looking on www.7dayshop.com for rechargeables. The battery life is the reason why I went for a Vista instead of the Oregon series.

I use NiMh batteries in my gps/Palm/camera and other things too. I've bought from various manufacturers, and not been disappointed with any of them.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

I have a battery extender to go with my Mio P550 and now have practically unlimited power depending on how many batteries I carry with me, they are available for other units too. I recently brought an Energizer Compact Charger with 4 x 2500 NiMh for just over £8.00 from my local B&Q, can't fault it, charges overnight. :socool:

forestferret Guest

one tip on rechargable batts that i learned from my days racing rc buggies is to look at the MAH number the bigger the better i dont know all the tecnical ins and outs but i know that the MAH relates to how long they will hold there charge so a bigger mah will last longer
    hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by forestferret View Post
    one tip on rechargable batts that i learned from my days racing rc buggies is to look at the MAH number the bigger the better i dont know all the tecnical ins and outs but i know that the MAH relates to how long they will hold there charge so a bigger mah will last longer
    hope this helps
    That's absolutely correct. mAh is an abbreviation of milliamp hours, which is a measure of the battery's capacity. The higher the figure, the greater the charge the battery will hold. As a rough rule of thumb, for AA and AAA batteries 2,500 mAh or greater is a good figure to go for.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Aldi have 4 packs of AA and AAA for sale at £1.99 and they are 2400Mah :cheers:

Default Hybrio

I use the Uniross Hybrio batteries, a hybrid NiMH battery that will hold 80% of it's charge for 6 MONTHS, and 70% of its charge for 1YEAR!!!

Have a look here.

To see why I use these batteries see here.

They are abour £5 for 4 AA's but hold their charge unlike most NiMH batteries.

They are not for everybody, they are expensive, but I love the fact I don't need to charge them just before I use them.

I'd recommend these to anybody.
    Last edited by 11011100; 30th May 2009 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Spelin Mistaek

"Finding oneself is the quest of life...”

Thanks for all the help.

Very useful. Had not realised about the MaH, and the big difference in rechargeable batteries...

Daddy_Moose
    He who hesitates is not only lost, but miles from the next exit.

How Many Roads Must A Man Walk Down Before He Admits Hes lost?

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. - TS ELLIOT