Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Best cache disguise?

zwei ormers Guest

Default Best cache disguise?

We found our first disguised cache the other day - a 15" square log split and hollowed out for the cache box. All other caches here are lock'n'locks with the exception of one pelican case, and the disguised one has got me thinking - what're the best disguised caches you've seen?

A number immediately come to mind. One was rather like the one you've described, except that the log hadn't been split, so the only giveaway was the circular cut in one end.

Another type is the fake stones that are sold as key holders, etc. In the right surroundings they can be very effective, provided the stone looks natural for the area it's in.

And another was a micro in the inside end of a "false" branch on a tree - the branch could be pulled out from a natural hole in the tree trunk.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

A couple of split logs, several fake rocks, a couple of real rocks drilled out to take a 35mm film can inside.

A blanking plate for a domestic light switch box, painted black and attached to a black roadside cabinet by magnets, in full view of everyone but it just looked like part of the cabinet.

A real "Danger High Voltage" sign attached to an electricity cabinet by magnets and in full view of everyone, which had the cache log attached to the back.

keehotee Guest

Poo! :wacko:

zwei ormers Guest

OK, so should disguised caches be noted as such in the descriptions? I for one don't intend to spend ages sifting though a load of gravel to find the cache one!!

Quote Originally Posted by zwei ormers View Post
    OK, so should disguised caches be noted as such in the descriptions? I for one don't intend to spend ages sifting though a load of gravel to find the cache one!!
    No, that's the whole point. The container size will often be selected as "Other" so as not to give too much away, and perhaps there should be a hint that what you're looking for is not the norm, e.g. several I've found have a hint along the lines of "Hidden in full view"

zwei ormers Guest

Quote Originally Posted by martybartfast View Post
    several I've found have a hint along the lines of "Hidden in full view"
    I like that description, will use that one :-)

uk89camaro Guest

Default Meet Dave.....

zwei ormers - you might like to try this one: https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cach...d-c136e80365b5 it is there honestly....

H

Talking

Tuppenny Bun

I'm not saying any more, go and find it!

One of the cache finds that we have had to deal with in the short time of doing this pastime has been a nut and bolt, but the bolt has been drilled out to contain the log....very elusive!!!

Daddy_Moose has missed a "fake rock"...... another one that family_Moose has come across in their short time geo-caching has been false foliage!

All very "genius" and has cogs whirring on what we could try for our first cache in the future!
    He who hesitates is not only lost, but miles from the next exit.

How Many Roads Must A Man Walk Down Before He Admits Hes lost?

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. - TS ELLIOT