Thanks Thanks:  22
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Caching as it used to be

Default Caching as it used to be

Several threads have sprung up recently commenting on the supposed "demise" of cache quality. I have tended to go along with the "curmugeon" side of things as I've had the feeling that "fings aint wot they used to be". There seem to be more and more dismal caches in boring locations with little or no contents of note. But that has just been a feeling.

However today it was all brought into focus when I found my first Terracache Carding Mill capers recycled (Back to basics) by Markandlynn.

All of a sudden I was transported back to the "good old days" of caching - a good location, a good cache and really worthwhile swaps. It's only when you see what you've been missing that you realise how things have truly changed. It used to be that good caches like this were common, now they are like hens' teeth.

I just wish there were more Terracaches near me so that I could gauge whether they are all up to this standard.

I've yet to find a Terracache, but I've listed a Locationless and I intend soon to place a Traditional on there - the camouflaged container's sitting beside me as I type but I never seem to find the time to get out there and hide it.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

I have noticed an over all drop in the quality of cahes over the past couple of years, and think part of this could be down to the ever increasing number of caches being placed, leaving cachers with less and less choice. However, there does seem to be a trend toward "a cache for a cache's sake", especially around events. The net result of this is poorly maintained caches and me standing at locations wondering why I'm there!

Give me a bit of history, an interesting location, and I'll show a happy cacher and a log to match

You're never happy, Jacobite.......don't kid yourself on!
    Last edited by jacobite; 11th June 2009 at 09:55 PM.
    I'm just going outside, and may be some time!

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk

I agree, there are far more poor caches these days. I have found one recently that made me think "why?" Ok, the dog got a walk I suppose! And just today, I had to go to Annan to do a delivery....had the co-ords in the GPSr....but just drove right past....it's in a muggle ridden area, overlooked by houses....AND it was a magnetic nano....no wonder I didn't wanna stop! Maybe next time when the wife's with me.....she can look, I'll sit in the car!

Maybe I SHOULD try other listing sites......oops, that's a hot potato at the moment on t'other forumsopcorn:

nobbynobbs Guest

maybe we should start a trend to rate caches in our logs. simple ?/10 at the end of every log.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbynobbs View Post
    maybe we should start a trend to rate caches in our logs. simple ?/10 at the end of every log.
    Exactly, which is why I'm now mentioning GCVote and providing a link on all my logs now.

Thank you the whole family enjoyed reading your log last night.

We try to set caches that show how it should be done hoping that people will remember them and try to at least copy them.

But with so much choice our caches show a relatively low strike rate these days while other nearby caches that went straight to our ignore list continue to rack up finds and TFTC logs.

We have a cunning plan though to plant a numbers type trail to attract people in but create a memorable experience.

Hopefully the lead by example approach may just influence the odd cache setter here and there.

I just wish there was an easy way to filter for these types of cache ?
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Default In agreement.

As a recent convert to caching, coming up to my first anniversary, I have to agree with comments posted.

I don't know what the 'good old days' were like however I was at a cache recently that made me wonder what the heck I was doing there. It was hidden beside some old garages on a council estate near a prison. I had a quick search but told the wife it wasn't worth it so left. Another was a cache container wrapped in a bag in some bushes with mountains of other detritus.

I only have 5 caches but I hope they bring the person to a lovely spot with a bit of history. I maintain them every week as they are on a route I run most weeks.
    Ho hum!

I think the sheer weight of numbers of new caches is a big part of the problem. When I began caching there were, I think, 32 caches in the whole of Wiltshire, my home county. Now there are 32 within 2.7 miles of my home co-ords, and this morning 21 new caches were approved within 5 miles of me.

When I placed my first cache it took me weeks of camouflage-painting a container, amassing carefully thought out trade items, walking the area I had in mind to find the perfect hiding place, writing and editing the listing page to give not just details of the cache itself, but a hopefully interesting summary of the history of the area and why I thought it so special, and so on.

I find it hard to believe that the same amount of preparation goes into a trail of 21 caches, and I myself have no interest at all in seeking any of them.

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D (wwh) View Post
    I think the sheer weight of numbers of new caches is a big part of the problem. When I began caching there were, I think, 32 caches in the whole of Wiltshire, my home county. Now there are 32 within 2.7 miles of my home co-ords, and this morning 21 new caches were approved within 5 miles of me.
    Sounds like you're suffering from Bradford-on-Avon-itis too... :wacko:

When I placed my first cache it took me weeks of camouflage-painting a container, amassing carefully thought out trade items, walking the area I had in mind to find the perfect hiding place, writing and editing the listing page to give not just details of the cache itself, but a hopefully interesting summary of the history of the area and why I thought it so special, and so on.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head Bill.
    Anybody starting caching within the past year or two is going to think a filmpot chucked in a random hedge with a few words of inane blurb is the norm....so they'll carry on doing the same

I find it hard to believe that the same amount of preparation goes into a trail of 21 caches, and I myself have no interest at all in seeking any of them.
    I walked a trail myself yesterday - and while it was a nice enough walk, I did have to wonder what was special enough about the pylon at the edge of the field that warranted a micro at the base of the fence post next to it.....

Quote Originally Posted by keehotee View Post
    I think you've hit the nail on the head Bill.
    Anybody starting caching within the past year or two is going to think a filmpot chucked in a random hedge with a few words of inane blurb is the norm....so they'll carry on doing the same

I walked a trail myself yesterday - and while it was a nice enough walk, I did have to wonder what was special enough about the pylon at the edge of the field that warranted a micro at the base of the fence post next to it.....
    Indeed yes. At one time a micro was a last resort in a spot that could take nothing bigger, and where an offset wasn't realistic, but the location was one that was really worth visiting. I have a few like that myself.

But I remember, some years ago when micros were becoming almost the standard in the States, and before they became the ubiquitous norm over here, a post on Groundspeak that described someone driving down a State Highway with a pile of tennis balls on the passenger seat, each marked GEOCACHE, and throwing one out of the window every three hundred yards... h34r:

But I remember, some years ago when micros were becoming almost the standard in the States, and before they became the ubiquitous norm over here, a post on Groundspeak that described someone driving down a State Highway with a pile of tennis balls on the passenger seat, each marked GEOCACHE, and throwing one out of the window every three hundred yards... h34r:
    So that's what's been going on!
    Throw cache through car window at bush, then hit mark on GPS and drive away......simples.
    I'm just going outside, and may be some time!

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by jacobite View Post
    So that's what's been going on!
    Throw cache through car window at bush, then hit mark on GPS and drive away......simples.
    Actually you need to keep a eye on where the container lands as depending on the No of bounces dictates the terrain rating :wacko: One bounce is
    is a 2* cache, 2 bounces means a 3* one. And heaven help if the container makes more than 4 and it's a 5* Cache :lol:

Dave :lol:
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

When I started in 2001, there were only 37 hidden in the whole of the UK!!

We are not too bad up here in the very north of Cumbria, around Carlisle to be precise, there are not that many caches.....unlike the Lakes. I'm not saying that's a bad thing for the Lakes, that is just what it is like.

Anyway, I tried to sign up to Terracaching last night, and my username was taken................by me!!! I had signed up in 2006!! Sheesh.....losing it, or what? Tonight I have had 2 emails wanting to sponsor me!

Watching these threads with interest, by the way!

Gaz

Quote Originally Posted by GAZ View Post
    Tonight I have had 2 emails wanting to sponsor me!

Gaz

And as we speak, another sponsor offer comes in :cheers:

I will be logging in to TC and accept, me finks

Gaz