Thanks Thanks:  22
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Caching as it used to be

Default Caching as it used to be

Several threads have sprung up recently commenting on the supposed "demise" of cache quality. I have tended to go along with the "curmugeon" side of things as I've had the feeling that "fings aint wot they used to be". There seem to be more and more dismal caches in boring locations with little or no contents of note. But that has just been a feeling.

However today it was all brought into focus when I found my first Terracache Carding Mill capers recycled (Back to basics) by Markandlynn.

All of a sudden I was transported back to the "good old days" of caching - a good location, a good cache and really worthwhile swaps. It's only when you see what you've been missing that you realise how things have truly changed. It used to be that good caches like this were common, now they are like hens' teeth.

I just wish there were more Terracaches near me so that I could gauge whether they are all up to this standard.

I've yet to find a Terracache, but I've listed a Locationless and I intend soon to place a Traditional on there - the camouflaged container's sitting beside me as I type but I never seem to find the time to get out there and hide it.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

I have noticed an over all drop in the quality of cahes over the past couple of years, and think part of this could be down to the ever increasing number of caches being placed, leaving cachers with less and less choice. However, there does seem to be a trend toward "a cache for a cache's sake", especially around events. The net result of this is poorly maintained caches and me standing at locations wondering why I'm there!

Give me a bit of history, an interesting location, and I'll show a happy cacher and a log to match

You're never happy, Jacobite.......don't kid yourself on!
    Last edited by jacobite; 11th June 2009 at 10:55 PM.
    I'm just going outside, and may be some time!

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk

I agree, there are far more poor caches these days. I have found one recently that made me think "why?" Ok, the dog got a walk I suppose! And just today, I had to go to Annan to do a delivery....had the co-ords in the GPSr....but just drove right past....it's in a muggle ridden area, overlooked by houses....AND it was a magnetic nano....no wonder I didn't wanna stop! Maybe next time when the wife's with me.....she can look, I'll sit in the car!

Maybe I SHOULD try other listing sites......oops, that's a hot potato at the moment on t'other forumsopcorn:

nobbynobbs Guest

maybe we should start a trend to rate caches in our logs. simple ?/10 at the end of every log.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbynobbs View Post
    maybe we should start a trend to rate caches in our logs. simple ?/10 at the end of every log.
    Exactly, which is why I'm now mentioning GCVote and providing a link on all my logs now.

Thank you the whole family enjoyed reading your log last night.

We try to set caches that show how it should be done hoping that people will remember them and try to at least copy them.

But with so much choice our caches show a relatively low strike rate these days while other nearby caches that went straight to our ignore list continue to rack up finds and TFTC logs.

We have a cunning plan though to plant a numbers type trail to attract people in but create a memorable experience.

Hopefully the lead by example approach may just influence the odd cache setter here and there.

I just wish there was an easy way to filter for these types of cache ?
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Default In agreement.

As a recent convert to caching, coming up to my first anniversary, I have to agree with comments posted.

I don't know what the 'good old days' were like however I was at a cache recently that made me wonder what the heck I was doing there. It was hidden beside some old garages on a council estate near a prison. I had a quick search but told the wife it wasn't worth it so left. Another was a cache container wrapped in a bag in some bushes with mountains of other detritus.

I only have 5 caches but I hope they bring the person to a lovely spot with a bit of history. I maintain them every week as they are on a route I run most weeks.
    Ho hum!

I think the sheer weight of numbers of new caches is a big part of the problem. When I began caching there were, I think, 32 caches in the whole of Wiltshire, my home county. Now there are 32 within 2.7 miles of my home co-ords, and this morning 21 new caches were approved within 5 miles of me.

When I placed my first cache it took me weeks of camouflage-painting a container, amassing carefully thought out trade items, walking the area I had in mind to find the perfect hiding place, writing and editing the listing page to give not just details of the cache itself, but a hopefully interesting summary of the history of the area and why I thought it so special, and so on.

I find it hard to believe that the same amount of preparation goes into a trail of 21 caches, and I myself have no interest at all in seeking any of them.

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D (wwh) View Post
    I think the sheer weight of numbers of new caches is a big part of the problem. When I began caching there were, I think, 32 caches in the whole of Wiltshire, my home county. Now there are 32 within 2.7 miles of my home co-ords, and this morning 21 new caches were approved within 5 miles of me.
    Sounds like you're suffering from Bradford-on-Avon-itis too... :wacko:

When I placed my first cache it took me weeks of camouflage-painting a container, amassing carefully thought out trade items, walking the area I had in mind to find the perfect hiding place, writing and editing the listing page to give not just details of the cache itself, but a hopefully interesting summary of the history of the area and why I thought it so special, and so on.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head Bill.
    Anybody starting caching within the past year or two is going to think a filmpot chucked in a random hedge with a few words of inane blurb is the norm....so they'll carry on doing the same

I find it hard to believe that the same amount of preparation goes into a trail of 21 caches, and I myself have no interest at all in seeking any of them.
    I walked a trail myself yesterday - and while it was a nice enough walk, I did have to wonder what was special enough about the pylon at the edge of the field that warranted a micro at the base of the fence post next to it.....

Quote Originally Posted by keehotee View Post
    I think you've hit the nail on the head Bill.
    Anybody starting caching within the past year or two is going to think a filmpot chucked in a random hedge with a few words of inane blurb is the norm....so they'll carry on doing the same

I walked a trail myself yesterday - and while it was a nice enough walk, I did have to wonder what was special enough about the pylon at the edge of the field that warranted a micro at the base of the fence post next to it.....
    Indeed yes. At one time a micro was a last resort in a spot that could take nothing bigger, and where an offset wasn't realistic, but the location was one that was really worth visiting. I have a few like that myself.

But I remember, some years ago when micros were becoming almost the standard in the States, and before they became the ubiquitous norm over here, a post on Groundspeak that described someone driving down a State Highway with a pile of tennis balls on the passenger seat, each marked GEOCACHE, and throwing one out of the window every three hundred yards... h34r:

But I remember, some years ago when micros were becoming almost the standard in the States, and before they became the ubiquitous norm over here, a post on Groundspeak that described someone driving down a State Highway with a pile of tennis balls on the passenger seat, each marked GEOCACHE, and throwing one out of the window every three hundred yards... h34r:
    So that's what's been going on!
    Throw cache through car window at bush, then hit mark on GPS and drive away......simples.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobite View Post
    So that's what's been going on!
    Throw cache through car window at bush, then hit mark on GPS and drive away......simples.
    Actually you need to keep a eye on where the container lands as depending on the No of bounces dictates the terrain rating :wacko: One bounce is
    is a 2* cache, 2 bounces means a 3* one. And heaven help if the container makes more than 4 and it's a 5* Cache :lol:

Dave :lol:
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

When I started in 2001, there were only 37 hidden in the whole of the UK!!

We are not too bad up here in the very north of Cumbria, around Carlisle to be precise, there are not that many caches.....unlike the Lakes. I'm not saying that's a bad thing for the Lakes, that is just what it is like.

Anyway, I tried to sign up to Terracaching last night, and my username was taken................by me!!! I had signed up in 2006!! Sheesh.....losing it, or what? Tonight I have had 2 emails wanting to sponsor me!

Watching these threads with interest, by the way!

Gaz

Quote Originally Posted by GAZ View Post
    Tonight I have had 2 emails wanting to sponsor me!

Gaz

And as we speak, another sponsor offer comes in :cheers:

I will be logging in to TC and accept, me finks

Gaz

keehotee Guest

edited coz I put the wrong map up

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian View Post
    Actually you need to keep a eye on where the container lands as depending on the No of bounces dictates the terrain rating :wacko: One bounce is
    is a 2* cache, 2 bounces means a 3* one. And heaven help if the container makes more than 4 and it's a 5* Cache :lol:

Dave :lol:
    That'll be half a dozen of mine up to a 5 then

Quote Originally Posted by GAZ View Post
    Anyway, I tried to sign up to Terracaching last night, and my username was taken................by me!!! I had signed up in 2006!! Sheesh.....losing it, or what? Tonight I have had 2 emails wanting to sponsor me!

Watching these threads with interest, by the way!

Gaz
    I signed up with Terra and Navi a while ago, threatening to list a few caches on each site and see how it go's.............I think I'll make the effort really soon..........cause let's face it...........there's a slim chance the find rate might be better than the caches listed on my own site

Two quality (as they used to be) caches on both Navi and Terra, let them run for 12 months, and see where we are at the end of that time.

keehotee Guest

There are more good caches on Geocaching.com now than ever before - they just get lost in a sea of dross..

nobbynobbs Guest

There are more good caches on Geocaching.com now than ever before - they just get lost in a sea of dross..

How very true. Trouble is you go out for a day and accidently the first few turn out to be dross... suddenly you can't be bothered to do any more.
    To be honest I do far less caching now than I used to mainly due to the hassle involved in clearing the rubbish from the potential good caches. It's just much easier to grab the camera and go for a walk.

Hello again for anyone who remembers me!

Caching has changed a great deal since I started (2002, I think). We used to think nothing of travelling 50+ miles for a cache, because you knew the hunt, the location and the swaps would all be great. And with few cachers on the scene, you'd often know the hiders and you'd recognise the finders in the log book.

Now I have dozens of caches within a few miles of me. Many of these I still haven't done. I sort of stopped caching a year or two ago - the urge just wasn't there any more. I've done a few recently, but haven't been impressed - what's the point of hiding a film canister in a tree?

I've just signed up for TC (thanks to my sponsors!) so look forward to trying a few of those soon. With so few TC caches, it does feel like the old days may be here again!

Sam (aka Wronskian)
    Seek and ye shall find (whatever was in the list in my sig on the GC forum)

I remember you, Sam, and you and I started in the same year.

I've hardly been caching for ages, mainly because of poor health, but when I look at the caches near me I find I'm swamped with ones I haven't done, and I'm afraid all too many just don't tempt me to get out there.

I'm not saying that they're all poor quality - I'm sure many aren't. But things have indeed changed a great deal.

nobbynobbs Guest

What we need is some computer pro to write a programme to rate caches.

location gets points, size and so on. anyone able to?

Quote Originally Posted by nobbynobbs View Post
    What we need is some computer pro to write a programme to rate caches.

location gets points, size and so on. anyone able to?
    Like http://dosensuche.de/GCVote/index_en.php you mean?!

I started caching in may - so i'm a newbiee I suppose.

But I completely agree some of the caches out there are rubbish. I got to one the other day and it had a couple of hair bands in, a bull dog clip and paperclips. Ugh.

I like the caches which have some history involved with them, which is why I like the fort micro and church micro series.

I myself have put out a walk of 9 caches, on the info page there is some history and things to look out for on the walk.

I don't want to put out caches without any purpose to them being there. I want people to learn something from my caches, or put in a place with an amazing view.

keehotee Guest

Unfortunately too many of any of the "micro" series' seem to have been put out solely as an excuse to drop a micro in a hedge.
    I found three church micros one day last week. The closest one to any church was 100 metres, it was a film pot under a hedge, and there was practically no info on any of the pages that made them any different from any other lame micro.
    So why, exactly, were they part of the series???
    If a church is really that interesting don't feel compelled to throw a film pot into a hedge and call it part of a series - place a unique cache nearby and have it stand on it's own merits

And most of the route march walks around here consist of trails of micros under stiles, seemingly put there just to mark a change in direction. To be completely honest, when it comes to logging them I usually can't remember one film pot from another (and the owners complain if each one has the same cut'n'paste log !!! )
    If a walk's really worth doing, put a nice, well hidden and decent sized container half way around. If people really want to find it they'll do the walk anyway - without the geomicrolitter along the way...

Default distance makes the cache grow fonder

It would be a good idea to make the distance between caches greater to reduce the number of caches on any given walk much less. I've only been caching for a couple of years and only have two caches of my own which I think are interesting walks. One is a good distance from any other caches but has recently become part of another cachers circular walk completely removing the impact of the view which was intended when we set it. I have bagged these new caches since I walk there frequently anyway as it's on my doorstep. They are some great containers and some are very well stocked. I think as the rules stand he has every right to do this but it has made me think it is all becoming about the numbers. I really enjoy the caches that are published with some interesting details about the area and preferably a decent walk and as Mr B says-didn't these used to be called multis?

zwei ormers Guest

With reference to church caches, we did this one (a multi/mystery with a micro at the final location) last week which involved visiting the inside of the church which was spectacular:-
    "Marienmunster Diessen"
    http://www.panoramio.com/photo/1511412

Caching in Germany was a new experience for us as there is not a single micro here in Guernsey. We specifically took travelbugs on holiday with us to continue their journeys and struggled to find caches big enough to put them in :-(

Unfortunately too many of any of the "micro" series' seem to have been put out solely as an excuse to drop a micro in a hedge.
    I found three church micros one day last week. The closest one to any church was 100 metres, it was a film pot under a hedge, and there was practically no info on any of the pages that made them any different from any other lame micro.
    If a church is really that interesting don't feel compelled to throw a film pot into a hedge and call it part of a series - place a unique cache nearby and have it stand on it's own merits

And most of the route march walks around here consist of trails of micros under stiles, seemingly put there just to mark a change in direction. To be completely honest, when it comes to logging them I usually can't remember one film pot from another (and the owners complain if each one has the same cut'n'paste log !!! )
    If a walk's really worth doing, put a nice, well hidden and decent sized container half way around. If people really want to find it they'll do the walk anyway - without the geomicrolitter along the way...
    Can I just second all of those remarks and comments, please?

In my area (Havant), we have so far managed to avoid the worst of the "pointless micro" route marches.
    Chichester / Arundel / Worthing areas are a different story with ring upon ring of film canisters.

If a location warrants a cache being placed, then surely it's worth taking a little time and trouble to find a hide for a decent sized container (there's usually somewhere if you look hard enough).

I'm not anti-micro per se; they do have their uses in urban areas.
    I am anti-micro in the depths of a forest or at a stile every 528 feet along a footpath. :wacko:
    Try not to let your mind wander...........
    It's too small and fragile to be out by itself

While I'm against micro trails, I am a fan of trails with proper size containers. We have a walk of 34 caches, with only about 3 micros on it (no choice) and the rest are tupperware boxes. Its not difficult to find a hiding place for a proper container in the country, and only using micros smacks of laziness and lack of imagination.

All the caches have been found over 120 times since January, with happy logs all round - so people do enjoy doing them. I would stake my mortgage on the fact that if I placed one multi that took a 3 hour walk, it would have been found less than 10 times! At the end of teh day, we place caches to get the interesting logs, and people like finding caches, not doing 6 mile walks for one cache.

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gerrie View Post
    ..... and people like finding caches, not doing 6 mile walks for one cache.
    Speak for yourself......I can think of quite a few single caches that involved looooong walks that I'd happily trade for some of the multi-find trails around here

But then I've never been a numbers cacher
    Last edited by keehotee; 17th July 2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: NOT that I'm suggesting that anybody else around here is either....

I have found this thread of great interest. I have only just found this site thanks to a link on UKGeocachers and, as a very new novice to geocaching myself with only six finds under my belt, I would like to ask what may not be a simple question.

What is a 'good' geocache?

The reason I ask is that, to me, every cache I have found and even the ones I looked for in vain, have been good caches. I can see the argument that there are too many caches which I suppose has the effect of diluting the hobby but if there were only a finite number would that mean that it would soon end as each one is found?

I accept that maybe a good cache is one that takes you way off the beaten path, sadly it will never be like going into 'the woods' USA style in the UK. But is that really a good cache or a good walk? Please accept my inexperience in all this, remember I am asking a question.

My first cache was a small magnetic hidden under the bottom rail of a fence in a local park. I had to find three locations to finally get the co-ordinates for the final location of the cache and I did it using software downloaded onto my Nokia N95 phone. Certainly not off the beaten track but I thoroughly enjoyed it and it was that first cache that made me want more. The fact that I invested in and have downloaded the nearest 250 caches to where I live to my GPS, and the radius of that circle is not that big, actually made me quite excited at the prospect of being able to find so many without having to travel the length and breadth of the country for my next one.

Now that may make it sound as though I am only interested in getting a high score, I can assure you that that is not the case. I have enjoyed trying to find the ones that, as yet, still elude me but I have not given up on them, I will be back and I will find them one day.

The argument that a cache is put out for the sake of it could, I suppose, be attributed to any but I have yet to find one that made me wonder why it was there. The reason they are all there surely is to be found.

So, after what in my innocence I think, I will return to my original question. What makes a 'good' cache? I do want to know because when I plant my first one, I would prefer it if it satisfied newcomers and old hands alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddygt View Post

What is a 'good' geocache?

My first cache was a small magnetic hidden under the bottom rail of a fence in a local park. I had to find three locations to finally get the co-ordinates for the final location of the cache and I did it using software downloaded onto my Nokia N95 phone. Certainly not off the beaten track but I thoroughly enjoyed it and it was that first cache that made me want more.
    ....then that was a good cache for you!

A good cache is one that you enjoy a lot - and of course it will not be the same for everyone.

I have done good caches which were a lovely walk; which took me to a great viewpoint. Virts that took me to places I did not know existed - or places that I knew were there but might not have visited them were it not for the virt.

The frustration of of not finding a micro on a busy yacht marina on the IOM and going "Doh" when I found another one hidden by the same cacher and realised that I had had the first cache in my hand without realising it.

Teasel's late lamented cache in Bracknell that was a hollowed out cherry branch in a pile of other branches.

Yup, it's whatever you enjoy - others may not but you did - that's what makes it a good cache

Speak for yourself......
    I will thanks And the many finders of our caches!

Actually, I suppose the point is that people like different caches, and no cache will ever appeal to everybody, so as long as it appeals to some people, then thats fine!

The best maxim we keep to is to always place the biggest cache possible. A string of 34 ammo cans on a walk (rather expensive!) is an enjoyable day out - a string of 34 micros in trees on the same walk could be a huge disappointment...

See my GC1MY9G Sheepdog Trials - Opening Statement, and the following caches in that series.

Blatent self publicity I know, but it's intended to make other cachers stop and think.
    Try not to let your mind wander...........
    It's too small and fragile to be out by itself

...I would stake my mortgage on the fact that if I placed one multi that took a 3 hour walk, it would have been found less than 10 times! At the end of teh day, we place caches to get the interesting logs, and people like finding caches, not doing 6 mile walks for one cache.
    ... on the other hand we have a multi-cache near Tintern, through some beautiful FC land. It's 4 waypoints along the route where you have to collect a few numbers which lead you to the final which is a small (but amusing) final cache. It's about 4.5 miles in all, has been out for about 3 years and has had 29 finds. It consistently has lovely logs from those who take the time to do it - It's just "horses for courses", I guess .

I remember reading all of this on the other forum and at the end of the day it is a case of each to his/her own.
    My opinion is simple if you don't like a finding micros and nanos then the answer is simple delete them from your GPS/Database and don't go look for them.
    I don't like puzzle caches as I just delete them from my database and just don't bother to look for them, I think that counts as a HUMAN filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddygt View Post
    I accept that maybe a good cache is one that takes you way off the beaten path, sadly it will never be like going into 'the woods' USA style in the UK.
    There are some caches where you can get away from it all, just got back from Scotland and we found some great caches up there where we were miles from anywhere, as indeed there are all over the UK, you just have to look that bit harder. Oh, were both mid 50's amd really do need the exercise, so exercise mad we 'aint - LOL.

I think there seems to be the old school who get a bit jaded with run of the mill stuff and the newer cachers who enjoy every new challenge, because that is what it is, new.

We've been caching since early '06, so not exactly old hands, but not exactly newbies either - after the first go for anything phase we have become somewhat more selective in what we look for. We especially like to get out of our own area and see what other challenges are out there - caches, in our experience, on the whole tend to similar in an area, go else where and you will find different challenges.

Main thing is, enjoy what you are doing. Select and set caches that you and others, hopefully, will remember when they crop up in geoconversation, another great part of the hobby.

Thanks for the comments so far, I can see that it is very much what I thought, horses for courses.

I have no doubt that eventually I will settle on a certain type and I doubt it will be Nano size as most of the ones I have failed to find are nano types and, maybe my inexperience, I just cannot work out where the heck they could be.

If it is that small, then it has to be attached to something obvious. I have stood there constantly checking my GPS and staring at a hawthorn hedge with nothing obviously different about any part of it.

Now given that I am looking for something the size of a thimble and also given that I may be be only within 20 feet or so I just give up. Trouble is, when I get home, I keep thinking I must have missed something so I need to go back. As these are local, that isn't a problem so I suppose given that they are still on my mind and I still want them, it cannot be a bad thing.

With 253 caches within 10km of our home I'd agree that it's getting a bit overpopulated in Wiltshire.

Many of the rings that are placed now are nice walks, however they could just as well be multi's rather than 23 individual caches. Many of them could be converted to a multi that leads you to a great location.

I remember the joy of finding my 100th cache within my target (1st year of caching) as it had been a challenge. I've found my 500th cache :socool: last weekend, but the joy of that was not much really as you can now pick up 50 on a day's walk.

If you consider placing a cache, make it an interesting multi with a good story to it. :wub:
    A cache a day ..

Quote Originally Posted by esim View Post

Many of the rings that are placed now are nice walks, however they could just as well be multi's rather than 23 individual caches. Many of them could be converted to a multi that leads you to a great location.

I'm in two minds about this, I agree in principle, but the big advantage of a ring is that you can see before you set out where you're going to be going, decide whethrer it's within your capabilities and work out how long it will take you. I've had several multis which I've had to pass by because I wasn't sure of what I was letting myself in for before starting, so I think it's important to state on a multi page how far the walk is, and where it will leave you, and what sort of terrain is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDick&Vick View Post
    I remember reading all of this on the other forum and at the end of the day it is a case of each to his/her own.
    My opinion is simple if you don't like a finding micros and nanos then the answer is simple delete them from your GPS/Database and don't go look for them.
    I don't like puzzle caches as I just delete them from my database and just don't bother to look for them, I think that counts as a HUMAN filter.
    Its not as simple as ignoring all micros or all nanos its about excluding caches you dont / wont like. I like some micros and some nanos but as with many caches you dont really know until you get there that you dont like them.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Quote Originally Posted by esim View Post

I remember the joy of finding my 100th cache within my target (1st year of caching) as it had been a challenge. I've found my 500th cache :socool: last weekend, but the joy of that was not much really as you can now pick up 50 on a day's walk.

If you consider placing a cache, make it an interesting multi with a good story to it. :wub:
    Clearly, a series of caches is going to be more popular than the same caches arranged as a multi. But as you appear to support the "multicache" version, perhaps you'd be kind enough to explain why the same caches are better as a multi. Many of them could be converted to a multi, but why would you? As far as I can tell, there's no difference except that the multi has a few disadvantages.

Back on the general topic, it appears to me that there are still plenty of "caches-as-they-used-to-be" being created. Perhaps more than ever.

It's just that there are many variants of the game being played nowadays, so for every cache that appeals to the connoisseur of a particular type, there are several that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Humphrey View Post
    Clearly, a series of caches is going to be more popular than the same caches arranged as a multi. But as you appear to support the "multicache" version, perhaps you'd be kind enough to explain why the same caches are better as a multi. Many of them could be converted to a multi, but why would you? As far as I can tell, there's no difference except that the multi has a few disadvantages.

Back on the general topic, it appears to me that there are still plenty of "caches-as-they-used-to-be" being created. Perhaps more than ever.

It's just that there are many variants of the game being played nowadays, so for every cache that appeals to the connoisseur of a particular type, there are several that don't.
    agree completely!

As said above - why would you prefer a multi with 23 parts, rather than 23 seperate caches? being a multi doesn't intrinsically make it a better cache! Further, depending on how the multi is set, a missing cache / DNF could stop you finding the cache at all. Finally, like it or lump it, 23 caches on a walk is many many times more popular than a 23 stage multi, and I for one like getting logs on my caches - why would I want to cut it down from one find per day to one find per month (if I'm lucky...)

agree completely!

As said above - why would you prefer a multi with 23 parts, rather than 23 seperate caches? being a multi doesn't intrinsically make it a better cache! Further, depending on how the multi is set, a missing cache / DNF could stop you finding the cache at all. Finally, like it or lump it, 23 caches on a walk is many many times more popular than a 23 stage multi, and I for one like getting logs on my caches - why would I want to cut it down from one find per day to one find per month (if I'm lucky...)
    This is an interesting point as there is no reason why a multi should be better than a series separate caches... but in my experience they often are. The only way I can rationlise it is that people take more care (on average) in setting multis. By definition, a multi is not set just to rack up a load of finds on your caches and probably reflects a quality not quantity approach.

For the last few years, when I cache in a new area I seek out multis first ahead of the traditionals and the approach has worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by pieman View Post
    By definition, a multi is not set just to rack up a load of finds on your caches and probably reflects a quality not quantity approach.
    I appreciate the attempt, but I'm not convinced.

I suspect that the stages of a multi are often less worthwhile than the stages of a series: because the cache setter regards them as less a cache, more a staging point.

But a good series will be designed to consist of caches that are good enough to stand on their own, not just as part of a group of caches. After all, they are usually designed to be found in any order, and a cacher may only seek one or two in a day. They may have a theme (like the Curiosities of Derbyshire), and may provide a bit of entertainment on a walk (such as one of the many Canal towpath series).

keehotee Guest

Never being one to not put my money where my (quite over-worked) mouth is, I've started a new series... [blatant self promotion] Church Macro's [/blatant self promotion]

Never being one to not put my money where my (quite over-worked) mouth is, I've started a new series... [blatant self promotion] Church Macro's [/blatant self promotion]
    I noticed

I wish you'd started it a few weeks back...
    We set an off-set cache down near my 'home' church in west Cornwall - I could have made it a Church Macro. But I'll be looking out for other Church Macro possibilities... as long as the location is worth it.

sssss Guest

[blatant self promotion] Church Macro's [/blatant self promotion]
    Some of the church micro's in east kent did a nice system of a micro at the church to keep the church micro fans happy, these then contained the co-ords for a proper sized trad nearby.

That seemed to keep everyone happy.

That's fantastic! :cheers: