Thanks Thanks:  3

Thread: my first hide

forestferret Guest

Default my first hide

ok im asking for help with placing my first cache i was going to just go out to a local spot i like and hide it there ....
    but then i read a thread on here and now i think i will put a lot more thought into a location etc
    its a cliplock container contains the usuall swag a first to find key chain logbook etc

i dont want my cache to fall into the DROSS catogory
    so what advice can you give me so i can make this a great cache
    as i value the advice i get on this forum better than the american dominated forum across the pond :cheers:
    many thanks
    Darren

Hi Darren,

Sounds like you've already given this a lot of thought, and by that fact alone you're more than half way there to hidding a good first cache

I think most cachers would agree that you should hide the biggest container that you can get away with. The location is important too -all too often people hide a cache for the sake of it, but if the spot is somewhere you like to visit then then likelyhood is others will too. Decent trade items and a proper log book (rather than a bit of folded A4) will all help make a cache better.

Good luck with your first hide. Let us know how you get on

nobbynobbs Guest

I think mouse has covered it really.

The spot has to be top priority, why have you taken us there? is it the view, the history or something else... make that special and nearly all other mistakes can be forgiven
    All too often people complain that they end up in a location and find themselves saying "why?"

Then a decent container with some reasonable swaps in, proper log book and explanation sheet pref laminated explaining what the box is and who to contact in case of problems.

then you should have people wanting to recommend your cache as a must do. :cheers:

Hi Darren and welcome.
    You might find the resource website I've put together useful. It contains a lot of information about placing a cache, about permission and guidelines. You've probably read the main geocaching guidelines but there are also guidelines here on the GAGB for placing caches that relate to the UK. I've tried not to repeat any information but to provide links to useful websites and map sites where you can check your proposed location to make sure it isn't somewhere it shouldn't be or somewhere that you may need to get specific permission (like National Trust or Forestry Commission). You'll find the GAGB Landowner database invaluable for help with this. There is also a section on helping the reviewer who will review your cache when you submit it for publication.

As others have said, go for a nice size container in a spot people will enjoy coming to visit.

Chris (MrB)
    www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources

forestferret Guest

Many Thanks for all the advice guys :socool:
    hopfully my cache will be a good en while thinking about it i had a bit of a idea so i thought i would run it passed you guys first see what you think ?

my idea (prolly done before )

when i pub my cache have half dozen travel bugs and set a challange a sort of race to see which TB is first to curcumnavigate the globe and return to the cache ??
    do you think it would work ??

Don't forget to maintain the cache every so often. I only have a few caches but like to check up on them regularly. Not always possible but something I consider when I placed my caches. Hence why most around Watford Northamptonshire.
    Ho hum!

Quote Originally Posted by forestferret View Post
    Many Thanks for all the advice guys :socool:
    hopfully my cache will be a good en while thinking about it i had a bit of a idea so i thought i would run it passed you guys first see what you think ?

my idea (prolly done before )

when i pub my cache have half dozen travel bugs and set a challange a sort of race to see which TB is first to curcumnavigate the globe and return to the cache ??
    do you think it would work ??
    Travel bug races have indeed been done before, as you probably know, but I don't remember any exactly like the one you're proposing (though someone will probably correct me, lol...!).

I do think that's a good idea, and I do think it would work, but you'll need to steel yourself to the fact that some of those TBs will go missing in action - unfortunately that's the norm now.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​