Thanks Thanks:  1
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Terracaching

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Dalston, near Carlisle
    Posts
    78

    Default Terracaching

    Trying to get Terracaching up and running, but summat aint right!

    It turns out I registerred in 2006, and I have had 3 emails wanting to sponsor me. On the emails it says go to Terracentral and follow the link from there to accept, or decline........but I cannot see any links, other than the Top Referrers, and the "register starter account", and "click here" for activation email. I have tried the click here, and enter my details and it says that the username has already been taken. I remember the other night being on a page where you have to log-in, but cannot find it.

    Anyone know where the accept or decline link is?

    Oh, and I have been on a page where the messages are and it says I have no new messages.

    Whats going on?

  2. #2

    Default

    I'm no expert but when you're in TerraCentral there's a panel on the left hand side, part way down that panel is a section for "My Sponsors", and I think the offers of sponsorship appear in there with a link to accept. However if your Emails are from several years ago then those offers might have been withdrawn, if so you'll need to find some new sponsors, I think there's a page on their forums to request sponsors.


    Edit to add, just had a look at your profile and you do have 3 current sponsorship offers so look down the panel on the left.
    Last edited by martybartfast; 14th June 2009 at 10:53 AM.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Dalston, near Carlisle
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martybartfast View Post
    I'm no expert but when you're in TerraCentral there's a panel on the left hand side, part way down that panel is a section for "My Sponsors", and I think the offers of sponsorship appear in there with a link to accept. However if your Emails are from several years ago then those offers might have been withdrawn, if so you'll need to find some new sponsors, I think there's a page on their forums to request sponsors.
    There isn't any panels on the left hand side, only on the right, and nowt about sponsors, unfortunately. I see what you mean about sponsors from years ago, so you may be right, but when I go to forums and click on me, "GAZ", it shows the three sponsors as "offered"

    I see that you are online with TC at the moment!

  4. #4

    Default

    I think you're on the wrong page. Click Tools at the top, then TerraCentral. You'll then get a page broken up into panels, on the left there's :-

    Leaderboards
    My Stats
    My Preferences
    Tools
    My Sponsors - the offers should appear in here.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Dalston, near Carlisle
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martybartfast View Post
    I think you're on the wrong page. Click Tools at the top, then TerraCentral. You'll then get a page broken up into panels, on the left there's :-

    Leaderboards
    My Stats
    My Preferences
    Tools
    My Sponsors - the offers should appear in here.
    Finally got to the right page Marty, but what a flippin job! I ended up back on Internet Explorer, because Google Chrome wouldn't allow some pages to load correctly. Went on IE, and there were several different options. Got there in the end, though!

    Only one thing.....the nearest caches to me look naff.....2 are post a picture with your GPS in....aren't they virtuals???? The whole site seems difficult to navigate round as well.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Near Morpeth, Northumberland
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Gaz

    Same for me, but why not put a terracache out yourself, and invite more people to join.

    I think the site can be slow at times.

    In the mean time the locationless can be fun!

    Cheers!

    David

    "Finding oneself is the quest of life...

  7. #7
    Icenians Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GAZ View Post
    Finally got to the right page Marty, but what a flippin job! I ended up back on Internet Explorer, because Google Chrome wouldn't allow some pages to load correctly. Went on IE, and there were several different options. Got there in the end, though!

    Only one thing.....the nearest caches to me look naff.....2 are post a picture with your GPS in....aren't they virtuals???? The whole site seems difficult to navigate round as well.
    Hmmm. Yet another that expects a fully loaded cache database without actually contributing to it. I guess all the cache elves have been bought up by the frog

    A lot of the virtuals are due to Americans trying to get TC started in the UK. There are also people that like virtuals and place them on TC as they are allowed.

    The site isn't that difficult to navigate once you twig that it's all done from the menus at the top.

    The TODO list will show the unfound caches within 100 miles of your location. at the bottom of that list you can change the filters.

    The terracentral tells you about your sponsors, access to your unlisted caches, and caches you need a approve.

    The map is google maps but be aware that not all caches are shown at all zoom levels so don't rely on it for a complete list. Usually better to use the map to find one in the area you're interested in then click on the nearest TC's for a complete list.

    From a cache page you can find a link for the nearest TC's, GC's and Navicaches.

    And, as I always say when folk complain about a lack of caches in TC, go place some and then there will be some more. If you are in any doubt that TC works in the UK, take a look at the TC map over Devon. There are about 3 of us trying to repeat that within our wide area between us so any help would be great from all the lurkers.

    Kev

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Dalston, near Carlisle
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Icenians View Post
    Hmmm. Yet another that expects a fully loaded cache database without actually contributing to it. I guess all the cache elves have been bought up by the frog

    Kev
    No, not true, Kev.....never expected a full database at all. As I have said, I only got this up and running in the last few days....I found it dead awkward to use, and like I have said before, Chrome wouldn't let me see all of the right pages....maybe it's me....and maybe it's not, as I got it sorted easily in IE.

    Also, I don't think anyone would blame me for not contributing right away, would they? You wouldn't go and buy a car and drive it straight out of the showroom without giving it a test drive first

    So, I get it up and running, and find 2 nearest caches are virtuals, albeit miles away.....and listed under "traditionals", which I realised after a poke about there were only "trads" and "locationless" caches available, so it had to be one of them!
    Compare this to GC.com on an enjoyment side rather than a numbers side, last night Eric from team Heather W wanted me to go with them to nab a cache that they DNF'd last year...it was bugging him...so we went out...and DNF'd it again( d'oh), but nabbed three more on the way back....and we enjyjed it very much. I don't think I would have as much enjoyment if I tried to nab one TC.

    I will be logging into TC more regularly, and yes, I WILL be setting a TC cache in the near future, once I get all the functions of TC.com worked out

    Cheers for all the info peeps....but I might be back asking for more as time goes on!!!

    Gaz

  9. #9
    Icenians Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GAZ View Post
    No, not true, Kev.....never expected a full database at all. As I have said, I only got this up and running in the last few days....I found it dead awkward to use, and like I have said before, Chrome wouldn't let me see all of the right pages....maybe it's me....and maybe it's not, as I got it sorted easily in IE.

    Also, I don't think anyone would blame me for not contributing right away, would they? You wouldn't go and buy a car and drive it straight out of the showroom without giving it a test drive first

    So, I get it up and running, and find 2 nearest caches are virtuals, albeit miles away.....and listed under "traditionals", which I realised after a poke about there were only "trads" and "locationless" caches available, so it had to be one of them!
    Compare this to GC.com on an enjoyment side rather than a numbers side, last night Eric from team Heather W wanted me to go with them to nab a cache that they DNF'd last year...it was bugging him...so we went out...and DNF'd it again( d'oh), but nabbed three more on the way back....and we enjyjed it very much. I don't think I would have as much enjoyment if I tried to nab one TC.

    I will be logging into TC more regularly, and yes, I WILL be setting a TC cache in the near future, once I get all the functions of TC.com worked out

    Cheers for all the info peeps....but I might be back asking for more as time goes on!!!

    Gaz
    It's all ground. Going out to get a TC doesn't preclude finding a TC or navicache on the way home or vice versa.

    I've heard so many times a plea for an alternative site, usually when folk are at the wrong end of a decision on GC, yet they exist.

    You'll have to excuse my sarcky comment above. TC has thousands of folk that join and expect the site to be magically full of caches they haven't found. Their next complaint is that they cannot simply relist the caches they have on other sites while they sulk. Making TC about as relevant as Navicache! I've noticed they never list them on Navicache during their sulks.

    I've found roughly 1/3rd of the tc's in the UK, and started getting some of the Dutch ones as well. There are some rubbish caches on TC, but we have the mechanisms to highlight them.

    I guess as a cache setter it's really about whether you are prepared to set a cache and wait for it to be found. I am, many are not. I'm lucky in that I have the opportunity to travel the UK and Holland, which has plenty of TC's, so it has enough to keep me amused. But just imagine what it would be like if every one of the 20000 cachers that registered had placed a couple of caches

    I find it funny that folk say caching is about finding boxes and getting out into the countryside and then go on a 5 mile walk looking for 20 soggy film pots while walking straight past a good quality cache just begging to be found.

    I cache on GC mainly as part of a mob, for me the people I'm with on those occassions is far more important than the caches I find. ON TC, I can identify good caches with ease, on GC I don't even bother as there is hardly any way to distinguish the good stuff from the dross. Navicache I rarely bother with anymore as it's a lonely place to be and most of the caches on there are available elsewhere.

    The number of caches and cachers on TC is growing and a number of cachers that signed up years ago are starting to take note again. it'll only take a few more in the stomping ground that a number of us are trying to get going, a big area, for it to tip the balance. Then folk will look, see good caches, or the dross labelled as dross, and suddenly they will start looking for them and there will be a viable alternative. It'll be an alternative site that tells you about all the caches around (regardless of listing site) and, most importantly, gives cachers an alternative list of caches rather than the same list in another form.

    Does it matter if there is only 1 TC nearby? Isn't it simply a cache waiting to be found? so what if it doesn't count towards some inane smily count that is meaningless. I've been at this for 6 years and found less than 200 GC's. Does that make me less of a cacher than someone that went on a one day walk and found 99? Of course it doesn't. At the end of the day a cache is a cache and where it's listed is irrelevant.

    TC has just about everything cachers need to cache. It lists caches, it does GPX files, it has a map of caches. It also has the things people keep asking for built in. It allows you to rate caches, and it lets you earn smileys at a rate reflecting the amount or difficultly of the cache you've found and hidden.

    Personally I think that anyone that has a beef against a site that simply does what it says on the tin and has no wish to rule the roost in caching terms is completely missing the point of it.

    @Gaz. I realise as I type this that I've quoted you at the top. Most of this rant of mine, I have a habit of doing that, is not actually aimed at yourself on any other individual. I just get carried away at times by some of the narrow views and rediculous politics that exist in a game that involves finding boxes in the woods.

    Kev

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    5,520

    Default

    GAZ wrote:
    Chrome wouldn't let me see all of the right pages....maybe it's me....and maybe it's not, as I got it sorted easily in IE.
    No, it's not you... Chrome can't cope with the dropdown links on TC - it uses the rendering engine Webkit, and I believe other browsers which use Webkit have the same problem.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​


  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warfield, Berkshire
    Posts
    436

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by GAZ View Post
    Finally got to the right page Marty, but what a flippin job! I ended up back on Internet Explorer, because Google Chrome wouldn't allow some pages to load correctly. Went on IE, and there were several different options. Got there in the end, though!

    Only one thing.....the nearest caches to me look naff.....2 are post a picture with your GPS in....aren't they virtuals???? The whole site seems difficult to navigate round as well.
    Yes, Chrome is FUBAR in its JavaScript support. Don't even think of trying TC.com with it - you will get nowhere, but then so many other sites don't work properly with Chrome either. Firefox and IE work fine.

    I'd also recommend going on the site in the morning / early afternoon. When the US is awake it can report "Internal Server Errors" which is basically the front end timing out on the back-end servers due to overload. If you've posted data, the odds are it has been received and actioned, so better to check than to repost.

    Also, do treat the emptier areas on the map as your chance to bag prime cache locations with really good caches. Make it a nicely stocked ammo box at the end of a nice walk and it'll be caching the way people really like it

    Cheers, Roderick

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Dalston, near Carlisle
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Kev, I didn't take it as a personal rant towards me, I know you're just trying to get your points across, to everyone. I fully understand where you are coming from, and agree that there must be "placers" so that there can be "finders". Like I have said, I will be placing a cache soon on TC.com........but that will be using IE, as you are right Bill and Sandvika.....Chrome doesn't allow the drop downs.....not that I know much about computers , well, how they ACTUALLY work, that is

    Gaz

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    261

    Default

    I've already placed my first Terracache, which actually replaces an old Geocache that I've removed from GC. Over the coming days/weeks I have decided to move all my Geocaches over to Terracaching. This will of course mean archiving them on GC. Hopefully people will find them better than the increasingly usual dross over there.

    While I still look for geocaches, and I'm planning a hunt today, I really feel that I prefer the ethos of Terracaching these days. I recognise that TC needs to reach a "critical mass" which is why I'm converting all my caches to create a "hotspot" in this area. I did the same with GC when I moved here as there was nothing for miles around. I no longer need to keep them on GC as it has an increasing number here.

    One thing that srikes me is the stash note that goes in the caches. I've not found a Terracaching version so I'll create my own unless someone knows differently. Maybe GAGB could start a repository for all such notes.

  14. #14
    Icenians Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hornet View Post
    I've already placed my first Terracache, which actually replaces an old Geocache that I've removed from GC. Over the coming days/weeks I have decided to move all my Geocaches over to Terracaching. This will of course mean archiving them on GC. Hopefully people will find them better than the increasingly usual dross over there.

    While I still look for geocaches, and I'm planning a hunt today, I really feel that I prefer the ethos of Terracaching these days. I recognise that TC needs to reach a "critical mass" which is why I'm converting all my caches to create a "hotspot" in this area. I did the same with GC when I moved here as there was nothing for miles around. I no longer need to keep them on GC as it has an increasing number here.

    One thing that srikes me is the stash note that goes in the caches. I've not found a Terracaching version so I'll create my own unless someone knows differently. Maybe GAGB could start a repository for all such notes.
    I'm going to have to find an excuse to head over your way sometime soon

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warfield, Berkshire
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hornet View Post
    I've already placed my first Terracache, which actually replaces an old Geocache that I've removed from GC. Over the coming days/weeks I have decided to move all my Geocaches over to Terracaching. This will of course mean archiving them on GC. Hopefully people will find them better than the increasingly usual dross over there.

    While I still look for geocaches, and I'm planning a hunt today, I really feel that I prefer the ethos of Terracaching these days. I recognise that TC needs to reach a "critical mass" which is why I'm converting all my caches to create a "hotspot" in this area. I did the same with GC when I moved here as there was nothing for miles around. I no longer need to keep them on GC as it has an increasing number here.

    One thing that srikes me is the stash note that goes in the caches. I've not found a Terracaching version so I'll create my own unless someone knows differently. Maybe GAGB could start a repository for all such notes.
    Yes, the radius of my 500 nearest unfound trad/multi/unknown/all other PQs on GC.com is shrinking all the time. In fact, my GSAK database now contains close on 4000 caches I've not looked for. I won't be missed if I don't post new caches on GC.com whereas my contribution of new caches to TC.com will make a significant difference.

    I use GAGB branded stash notes rather than that of the listing site: my personalised one and a vanilla one to leave in anyone else's cache I find that does not have a stash note.

    I think that things like this will definitely have their place once we have a content management system underpinning the GAGB website

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •