Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Help with a few images?

Question Help with a few images?

Hi Folks, The committee has had a request from the marketing executive of "the outdoor show" for information and images about our hobby. She's writing a dummies guide to geocaching, and needs a few images relating to geocaching for the copy. Does anyone have images of a typical cache, caching equipment, someone finding a cache, that they wouldn't mind being used for the copy?

Any help would be much appreciated.
    I'm just going outside, and may be some time!

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk

keehotee Guest

Is the booklet for marketing purposes?
    This might come in handy for anyone considering sending a pic... opcorn:

Talking

I sent some pictures in. I hope that they're acceptable.

No fee required.

After a similar request recently I created a small pool of stock photographs of caches here. I'm going to have another go soon as I'm now better equipped for it.

Quote Originally Posted by sandvika View Post
    After a similar request recently I created a small pool of stock photographs of caches here. I'm going to have another go soon as I'm now better equipped for it.
    Very nice indeed.
    "I Cache, therefore I am"

Quote Originally Posted by keehotee View Post
    I'll put you down as a maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by sandvika View Post
    Great pics, Roderick. I've PM'd you. (gmail is being a pain with my address book )

nobbynobbs Guest

Just an aside. A year or so back groundspeak contacted quite a few people, including myself, to ask for use of pictures.
    I replied that if the use for for non commercial use and they would have no direct financial gain from my images then I was happy for them to use them. But if they ever intended to use them for their own gain, in a calander or other way then I would require some form of commision.

I got the reply that I obviously wanted something different from them and as such they would not be using my images, their email was worded in a manner that suggested that I was being unreasonable and rude in my request.

just thought I'd share.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbynobbs View Post
    Just an aside. A year or so back groundspeak contacted quite a few people, including myself, to ask for use of pictures.
    I replied that if the use for for non commercial use and they would have no direct financial gain from my images then I was happy for them to use them. But if they ever intended to use them for their own gain, in a calander or other way then I would require some form of commision.

I got the reply that I obviously wanted something different from them and as such they would not be using my images, their email was worded in a manner that suggested that I was being unreasonable and rude in my request.

just thought I'd share.
    I noticed that in the recent request for pictures from GSP, they make it clear that the pictures could/would be used for..............well, as they see fit really. And if your pictures are chosen you are required to sign a consent form.

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jacobite View Post
    I noticed that in the recent request for pictures from GSP, they make it clear that the pictures could/would be used for..............well, as they see fit really. And if your pictures are chosen you are required to sign a consent form.
    Bizzarely (for me ) I'm happy for Groundspeak to use my piccys, 'coz it's a service I buy into - but the Outdoors Show not only charge a huge amount for exhibitors - but also charge a (slightly lesser) amount for us punters to get in as well....... if they really really need images to help promote their business to geocachers, I'm sure they can afford them...

Thanks for that link, Tim... I see I'm underselling myself - years ago I used to be up-to-date with rates, but I only sell the occasional pic now. The last one went to the British Library for a book they were publishing, and based on that list I could have charged three times what I did, doh...
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Bizzarely (for me ) I'm happy for Groundspeak to use my piccys, 'coz it's a service I buy into - but the Outdoors Show not only charge a huge amount for exhibitors - but also charge a (slightly lesser) amount for us punters to get in as well....... if they really really need images to help promote their business to geocachers, I'm sure they can afford them...
    Yeah, heaven forbid that the Outdoor Show might use these images in a positive light, and thereby help promote geocaching
    Pictures have been sent, copyright issues taken care of......don't worry about it.

keehotee Guest

Yeah, heaven forbid that the Outdoor Show might use these images in a positive light, and thereby help promote geocaching
    Pictures have been sent, copyright issues taken care of......don't worry about it.
    I'm all for promoting geocaching (to a certain extent), but unlike ourselves - who would promote caching for purely altruistic reasons - the Outdoor Show would not be doing this if there weren't also something in it for them.....

I'm all for promoting geocaching (to a certain extent), but unlike ourselves - who would promote caching for purely altruistic reasons - the Outdoor Show would not be doing this if there weren't also something in it for them.....
    Tim, the world is full of people out to make a buck or two, but you make it sound like we should never deal with these people unless we place unrealistic demands on them. What do you think would happen if we asked them for cash or commission on a few (almost worthless) jepgs? Here's what would happen.......the emails would stop abruptly, they spent 20 mins on the net getting the images they require, and they'd avoid us in the future (and probably tell their pals). People and businesses remember a good turn and tend to look favorably on those who have helped them in the past, so I'm not going to snub the Outdoor Show because it doesn't sit well with your moral high ground. We're in the business of building bridges, not putting up barriers. I'm not prepared to see the association struggle along with one hand tied behind it's back, and I believe that if we were to adopt your attitude, we would struggle to make ground, if at all.

BTW, you've been quoting me a lot.........people might think we're friends

keehotee Guest

Tim, the world is full of people out to make a buck or two, but you make it sound like we should never deal with these people unless we place unrealistic demands on them.
    Since when was it unrealistic to expect a commercial concern to pay for photographs?

What do you think would happen if we asked them for cash or commission on a few (almost worthless) jepgs?
    A picture is only worthless if nobody's prepared to pay for it. Ask badger what I mean.

Here's what would happen.......the emails would stop abruptly, they spent 20 mins on the net getting the images they require, and they'd avoid us in the future (and probably tell their pals).
    Every image on the net belongs to somebody. I'm sure some owners might have something to say about the matter if their images were used without permission.

People and businesses remember a good turn and tend to look favorably on those who have helped them in the past, so I'm not going to snub the Outdoor Show because it doesn't sit well with your moral high ground.
    Firstly, you know nothing about my morality.
    Secondly, I did not at any time advise anybody not to send them any pictures. I simply posted a link to what has proven in the past to be a very useful piece of advice for amateur photographers who might want to get a bit more out of their hobby...
    BTW, you've been quoting me a lot.........people might think we're friends
    I thought we were all friends on here anyway - despite occasional differences of opinion

Tim, I'm bored with it, go and find someone else to play with!

Angry

Post retracted by Jacobite.
    Last edited by jacobite; 18th June 2009 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Unfair statement.