Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Woodland Trust dilemma....Should I say anything..??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Woodland Trust dilemma....Should I say anything..??

Can I have your opinions on this dilemma please..

In my area, (Leicester) there is a new cacher placing caches on Woodland Trust properties (woods), And I'm sure they have not obtained permission.

They have not mentioned any permission granted on their cache pages, now what this cacher possibly does not know is in the woods where they have so far placed two caches there is a cache which is the end of a puzzle cache, the page for this cache does mention that permission was obtained.!

My dilemma is....

Do I contact the new cacher to see if permission was obtained.?

Do I inform the new cacher that they really need to get permission in the 1st place..?

Is it any of my business... finally (the really important bit.).. Do the Woodland Trust keep an eye on Geocaching.com for Caches on their property, and what are they likely to do if they find any without permission..? Are all caches on woodland trust property at risk as a result of this type of thing happening...?

I know i'm not the caching police, but I would hate to see caches removed from areas only a short while after release because the correct procedures where not followed.

what to do.?!?! if anything...?

A number of landowners do monitor geocaching.com and indeed the forums although I don't know if the Woodland Trust do this.

In this case a polite email to the person concerned may be all that is required, particularly since they may not be aware of the agreement.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

Ask the question of the local reviewer. He/she'll have record of any permission obtained and will also have the power to retract the listing if it hasn't been.

I had a similar situation where a cache was placed on Woodland Trust land near me. I emailed the cacher as I suspected that they hadn't noticed that the Trust land extended over a road. I was right and they then retrospectively got permission.

I liaise with the Forestry Commission Dorset, and used to do so with the FC New Forest too, regarding our agreements with them. Occasionally someone would point out a new cache that had slipped through the system without permission. I always contacted the owner, and all but one of them were extremely apologetic and co-operative, and all got retrospective permission even though some had to change their containers or move the cache to a different nearby hiding place.

Just one owner was a real PITA, but I myself got retrospective permission for him anyway.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Exclamation

As the recipient of all WT Permission Forms, whether granted or denied, if you contact me with the GC No's I can do a quick check as all the emails are filed under one filter

Deceangi
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC