Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: Caches going missing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Caches going missing

Just wondered if anyone else has had a cache go missing.....I set one a couple of weeks ago, has been found three times, and the last cachers DNF'd. Ok, it was next to the road, but on a road miles from anywhere, except a village a mile away, and not on a busy road either. There was absolutely no chance of it being accidentally found, or been disturbed by animals. I can only think it has been stolen

Anyway, rant over

Cache in question is GC1T87V

There have been a number of threads on Groundspeak in the last month or so about caches being stolen, and some at least appear to have been deliberately targeted by people using gc.com to get the co-ords.

Some cachers have responded by making their caches members' only, but as anyone can become a premium member by signing up to pay monthly by PayPal, make one payment of around two quid, get all the info they want and then cancel the payments, I don't really see the point of that.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Premium member only caches allow the owner to see which accounts have visited the cache page and allow them to see patterns emerging.

One cache despoiler in the the North West has recently had an nice chat with the boys in blue and has been banned from GC.com .

There may be more on the way, so if the cache spoilers are reading this, take note the police in some areas are taking it seriously and eventually you will get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose39uk View Post
    Premium member only caches allow the owner to see which accounts have visited the cache page and allow them to see patterns emerging.
    Ah, yes, I'd forgotten that aspect of it...!

I suppose being a Premium Member won't stop it, though it might reduce the odds. Ah well, I have replaced it now with only a logbook in.....we'll see if this one lasts!

Failing that, there is Terracaching.............

Gaz

Quote Originally Posted by GAZ View Post

Failing that, there is Terracaching.............

Gaz
    Don't mention that word "over there" or you might end up in serious trouble h34r:

Re caches going missing.

I can understand the whole why would anyone other than a geo cacher of found it.

Dont forget we are not the only people who search for stuff in the country side.

Photographers, wild food, mushroom hunters, birdwatchers, dog walkers etc etc all have very legitimate reasons to be in the same place as geo cachers and may regards an abondened lunchbox as rubbish or just discovered treasure.

Add to this that a badger can quite easily root an ammobox out of hiding in its search for foods and there are numerous non conspiracy theories for caches going missing.

Still does not stop it being annoying though.

As a though have you checked at the local police station for lost property being handed in ? one of our caches was handed in once and i am reliably informed that many lost property offices are full of ammo boxes ? in fact we are trying to get in to have a look at about 20 in local office at present the main issue is proving they might be ours and not someone elses !
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Quote Originally Posted by markandlynn View Post
    Re caches going missing.

<snip>Dont forget we are not the only people who search for stuff in the country side.

<snip>As a though have you checked at the local police station for lost property being handed in ? one of our caches was handed in once and i am reliably informed that many lost property offices are full of ammo boxes ? in fact we are trying to get in to have a look at about 20 in local office at present the main issue is proving they might be ours and not someone elses !
    Nope, we're certainly not the only people who search for stuff in the countryside, and a lot of them are not at all legitimate... h34r:

Checking with your local police station is certainly a good idea though - there are a lot of honest people out there, believe it or not. One cache of mine disappeared under a felled plantation - a muggle couple who'd sussed it was there waded through the cut-down trees and retrieved it and returned it to me!

Surely ALL caches contain a cache note telling "finders", (Police?), how to contact the owner, via GC.com?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in Space View Post
    Surely ALL caches contain a cache note telling "finders", (Police?), how to contact the owner, via GC.com?
    yes they do but that means opening your private property apparently and most caches just contain the usual contact details not the owners.

All our caches have an email adress in them after we were told this.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in Space View Post
    Is there a way of contacting owner via GC.com without creating an account first ?

All our caches have our own email address in them because we don't think there is a way .
    We like Greens

Quote Originally Posted by t.a.folk View Post
    Is there a way of contacting owner via GC.com without creating an account first ?

All our caches have our own email address in them because we don't think there is a way .
    As far as I know you're right that it's not possible to contact the cache owner directly through gc.com without creating an account, but it is of course possible for someone to send the cache details to contact@geocaching.com. I think you're right to include your own contact details, though, as that's probably the best way of establishing contact.

Just as an aside, anyone who doesn't want to include personal information in a cache can use the GAGB contact phone number in a cache - details here.

Quote Originally Posted by t.a.folk View Post

Correct we found out after someone had to create an account to contact us (2003 if i remember correctly)

We are currently in discussion with a local lost property manager about 20ish ammo boxes they have in storage. Hopefully at some point this year we will be allowed to examine them.

Nb
    We cant examine them now because we will need to say where it was found to prove we have knowledge of them kind of a catch 22!