Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Meningitis Trust Coin In The Pipeline

Question Meningitis Trust Coin In The Pipeline

Hello Everyone,
    Today I went to the Meningitis Trust Family Day at Don Valley Stadium as a guest of my son who survived this illness at ten weeks old.
    Ok everyone put the tissues away, he is now a nine year old terror! with lots of problems but gets on with what life can chuck at him (he puts up with me, his dad so thats a start).
    In a part of the seminar the speaker asked for any fundraising ideas other than the fun runs etc. and then the bulb above my head flickered into action.
    The reason I have started this thread is to get the feelers out and see what everyone thought about the idea of the introduction of a coin for this worthy charity and how to get them passed out to cachers in a more direct manner than the middleman taking a cut.
    After the initial outlay anything above that would go straight to the charity, I have mailed Landsharkz my outline design idea to see what quote they come up with and will then mail the powers that be at MT HQ to see if they would partake in this field of fundraising. I hope something comes of all this so it is over to you guys to give me hints and tips.

I wish you all the best with this!

I've no experience of coin production or marketing so I can't help you myself, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

I have already got a ballpark estimate I have just got to get the permission from the charity to use their logo before ideas go into design but by the sound of the way the manufacturer's mind is working it should be a very shiney object of desire once completed.

Quote Originally Posted by M3ZPY View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    Today I went to the Meningitis Trust Family Day at Don Valley Stadium as a guest of my son who survived this illness at ten weeks old.
    Ok everyone put the tissues away, he is now a nine year old terror! with lots of problems but gets on with what life can chuck at him (he puts up with me, his dad so thats a start).
    In a part of the seminar the speaker asked for any fundraising ideas other than the fun runs etc. and then the bulb above my head flickered into action.
    The reason I have started this thread is to get the feelers out and see what everyone thought about the idea of the introduction of a coin for this worthy charity and how to get them passed out to cachers in a more direct manner than the middleman taking a cut.
    After the initial outlay anything above that would go straight to the charity, I have mailed Landsharkz my outline design idea to see what quote they come up with and will then mail the powers that be at MT HQ to see if they would partake in this field of fundraising. I hope something comes of all this so it is over to you guys to give me hints and tips.
    Once you have produced the coin you have several ways of selling them to cut out middlemen, some will require fees other won't:

You could sell them on e-bay or create a website selling them. Be aware though that if you sell through e-bay you will have to take their fees into account when you work out the pricing structure. Don't forget to take into account postage fees and packaging materials. If you accept online payments via paypal, nochex or any of the others then again you will need to factor in their fees (paypal is £0.20 + 3.4% of the sale or something along those lines)

By far the cheapest method of selling them would be at events taking cash for them (no processing or listing fees), but this would reach the smallest target audience.

When you speak to MT HQ don't forget to mention that several charities have already produced geocoins that have helped raise funds for them.

Regards,

Ian
    "I Cache, therefore I am"

sukisuix Guest

When you start to sell the coin, let us know. For I for one would like one.