Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just to let you know.

As the committee has not posted anything here, we thought that we would let the members know the current situation.

There were a number of promises made by the Founding Members, among those was the following :-

1.) The GAGB would never become commercial.
    2.) There would never be any cost involved with becoming or being a member of the GAGB (partly because we were financing it).

We have, after discussion with Founding Members, agreed to pass over control of the domain names (gagb.org.uk & gagb.org.uk) and copyright of the website to the committee on the proviso that the above two points are agreed and maintained.
    <span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'color:green\'><span style=\'font-family:Arial\'>totally brassed off </span></span></span>

Chris n Maria Guest

Well done.

Just a question does this mean the site will move from your (generously provided for free) servers or will you still be hosting ??

Kouros Guest

Thanks for clearing that up.

Just so nobody thinks that the committee were sitting on their laurels, I believe I speak for all of us (but in case I don&#39;t, I am posting under my own name) when I say that we were to include these nuggets of gloriously golden information along with the proposed constitution (of which they will be a part) once that is completed and when we present it to the members.

However, due to the fact that we all work (yes, it&#39;s true&#33 not all of us on the committee may have yet had the chance to be aware of this situation, and I know that one or two of us would like to have discussed it further before posting it. Nevermind, not the end of the world.

Originally posted by Chris n Maria@Nov 7 2003, 02:15 PM
    Well done.

Just a question does this mean the site will move from your (generously provided for free) servers or will you still be hosting ??
    Seems that the committee don&#39;t think it&#39;s too good an idea for us to host the site.

Also seems that it&#39;s time for us (T&J) to sadly close the doors on our connections with the association.

Sorry Kouros, wasn&#39;t trying to upstage the committee but we have recieved two emails asking. Thought it would be a reasonable idea to let the members know.
    <span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'color:green\'><span style=\'font-family:Arial\'>totally brassed off </span></span></span>

Chris n Maria Guest

Originally posted by Tim and June@Nov 7 2003, 06:09 PM
    Seems that the committee don&#39;t think it&#39;s too good an idea for us to host the site.
    Oh well, thanks for what you have done (here and for caching in general) and as you say damned if you do, dammned if you don&#39;t <_<

Happy Caching
    Chris

BugznElm&#39;r Guest

Three question for the committee ...

1 - Where will the new site be hosted?
    2 - When is the move expected?
    3 - How are the bills being paid when the GAGB has no cash? What controls are in place to prevent someone getting hacked off and threatening to pull the plug?

Kouros Guest

Under my name...

Oh well, thanks for what you have done (here and for caching in general) and as you say damned if you do, dammned if you don&#39;t
    Indeed - I said it privately a little earlier, and I&#39;ll say it publicly now: It&#39;s a shame.

For the benefit of members who may not be aware, the committee are concerned that their freedom to talk may be limited if non-committee members have access to the committee forums - obviously, if T&J host the site they would (in theory, even if not in practice) have access to those boards.

This isn&#39;t intended to be a dig at T&J, who have done a lot of good work for Geocaching in the UK, including being founding members of this site, and would be the same if I hosted the site (and wasn&#39;t on the committee), or if anyone else did.

But I hope you "closing the doors" will not include turning your back on the GAGB entirely - I&#39;m sure that you will agree that Geocaching needs people who are vocal in their beliefs, and as such, if the GAGB is to succeed, it needs you, even if you aren&#39;t on the committee.

BugznElm&#39;r Guest

Originally posted by Kouros@Nov 7 2003, 06:48 PM
    For the benefit of members who may not be aware, the committee are concerned that their freedom to talk may be limited if non-committee members have access to the committee forums - obviously, if T&J host the site they would (in theory, even if not in practice) have access to those boards.
    I honestly do think that this is rather a lame reason considering that seifer came on these forums only a few days ago claiming committee level access. I&#39;m not nit picking here nor do I want to cause trouble but if TnJ are being cut out of the loop because of this, I for one need assurances that this cannot happen. As far as I remeber it wasn&#39;t Team Blitz that was voted in but Paul. It this as meant to be a team vote that should have been made clear from the start.

BugznElm&#39;r Guest

I just also want to add that while Tim and I have crossed swords here in these forums over issues relating to the GAGB (despite anything that was said I don&#39;t hold any grudge at all), but I wouldn&#39;t think for one second that he would tamper with anything here.

TnJ, we met in person in the past and got on fine, I hope that we can do that again ... things go smoother when dealing face-to-face that&#39;s for sure.

My best wishes to you both and happy caching&#33;

Kouros Guest

Under my own name, and an honest, non-sarcastic or otherwise adulterated question...

Where would you draw the line, in a perfect scenario, as to whom should be granted access to committee forums?

BugznElm&#39;r Guest

Originally posted by Kouros@Nov 7 2003, 07:33 PM
    Under my own name, and an honest, non-sarcastic or otherwise adulterated question...

Where would you draw the line as to whom should be granted access to committee forums?
    I don&#39;t know ...but it sounds like one has been drawn and I guess I&#39;m trying to find out where that is&#33;

Kouros Guest

My argument would be - and again, this is my opinion, and may not reflect the rest of the committee - that only the committee should have access to the committee forums. And that priviledged access would not include family members, in case of accidental slip-ups.

At least if a committee member slips, it is that persons fault (most likely mine - watch this space) rather than someone who should not have read something and said more than they should.

BugznElm&#39;r Guest

Originally posted by Kouros@Nov 7 2003, 07:40 PM
    My argument would be - and again, this is my opinion, and may not reflect the rest of the committee - that only the committee should have access to the committee forums. And that priviledged access would not include family members, in case of accidental slip-ups.

At least if a committee member slips, it is that persons fault (most likely mine - watch this space) rather than someone who should not have read something and said more than they should.
    That would be best by far ...

Paul G0TLG Guest

Originally posted by Kouros@Nov 7 2003, 07:33 PM
    Where would you draw the line, in a perfect scenario, as to whom should be granted access to committee forums?
    This question isn&#39;t as easy as it seems: when we elected T & J to the chair, we knew we were electing both of them, and in that case we&#39;d have expected them both to have access - we agreed somewhere that we were voting for a team, not an individual.

Now we&#39;ve elected Team Tate, and although Sarah is the active one, in theory that certainly includes Bob, and technically Beckie and George as well.

So I&#39;d say...where an individual is elected, that individual only. Where a team is elected, perhaps only bona fide adult members of that team. And perhaps a rider that in future, named individuals only for election, rather than team names.

Paul

Kouros Guest

Originally posted by Paul G0TLG@Nov 7 2003, 08:21 PM
    So I&#39;d say...where an individual is elected, that individual only. Where a team is elected, perhaps only bona fide adult members of that team. And perhaps a rider that in future, named individuals only for election, rather than team names.
    That seems very sensible to me. What do the other committee members think?

Kouros.

I think that, as a committee member you should not be asking what other committee members think on a subject that effects the committee in open forum..
    Moss The Boss... Sorta

Originally posted by Moss Trooper@Nov 7 2003, 10:27 PM
    Kouros.

I think that, as a committee member you should not be asking what other committee members think on a subject that effects the committee in open forum..
    Why not??

Why is there a need for secrecy in such a small organisation?

Then again, maybe it&#39;s better to discuss things on the committee forum where the unelected Founder Memebers (& Sprog Blitz) can see what the proper committee are up to.
    Muggle - One Voice - One Vote

Kouros Guest

This being something that affects the entire membership, and does not involve outside parties (and by no means a secretive issue), I felt was something that should be discussed on an open forum. There are some matters that, in my honest opinion, should be dealt with in a closed room, and some that needn&#39;t be, where feedback from all members would be beneficial. Since this one is already out in the open, why shouldn&#39;t the opinions of the committee be too? Mine are for that very reason.

However, if any of the committee members would prefer to discuss it on the closed forum, that&#39;s fine too.

Originally posted by Muggle@Nov 8 2003, 01:12 AM
    (& Sprog Blitz)
    Muggle, that is a very offensive post and has been reported to admin 3 times.

We do not welcome this sort of behaviour on our services. Please do not behave in this manner again.

BugznElm&#39;r Guest

Trying to get back on topic ... how will the new internet presence be funded? Will the GAGB be looking for donations?

THE BRAMBLERS Guest

I am sure that when the committee have made their decisions, they will let the members know.

In the meantime let&#39;s all trust their judgement and wait.

Debbie

Originally posted by Tim and June+Nov 8 2003, 01:47 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Tim and June @ Nov 8 2003, 01:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Muggle@Nov 8 2003, 01:12 AM
    (& Sprog Blitz)
    Muggle, that is a very offensive post and has been reported to admin 3 times.

We do not welcome this sort of behaviour on our services. Please do not behave in this manner again.[/b][/quote]
    Perhaps you might like to explain what was offensive about it?

And while you are at it perhaps you could define who "WE" are in this case?

Thank you Bramblers.
    As the committee is still in its infancy, we are all aware that there are alot of things that need to be addressed. This will take some time, but be assured we will let everyone know what is happening when & where it is going to happen and as soon as anything has been arranged or decided, we won&#39;t treat you all as mushrooms, but inform everyone as soon as it is possible.
    A constitution is currently being processed which will available as soon as we have dotted the i&#39;s & crossed the t&#39;s, but as we all aren&#39;t able to communicate together on a daily basis it will take a little time.
    On another note a meeting with the FC re the New Forest is also in the process of being organised & we will inform you of that when we have some more information but it will be on a date later this month.
    Thank you all for your patience&#33;
    Sarah x

Chris n Maria Guest

Originally posted by Team Tate@Nov 8 2003, 05:43 PM
    On another note a meeting with the FC re the New Forest is also in the process of being organised & we will inform you of that when we have some more information but it will be on a date later this month.
    Glad to see someone doing something useful rather than just arguing the whys and wherefores

Chris

paul.blitz Guest

Originally posted by Tim and June@Nov 7 2003, 06:09 PM

Also seems that it&#39;s time for us (T&J) to sadly close the doors on our connections with the association.

Sorry Kouros, wasn&#39;t trying to upstage the committee but we have recieved two emails asking. Thought it would be a reasonable idea to let the members know.
    (Paul with his own hat on

I should point out that the initial "impetus" was not actually from the committee: there were several comments made in open forum that questioned the "effects" of T&J continuing to host the GAGB web site & forums: specifically, I seem to remember someone comment along the lines of "well, they&#39;ve already threatened to pull the plug twice".... another comment was something like "one person should not have the ability to ....."

I believe it was with these sort of feelings in mind that the committee felt that it needed to be able to reassure the membership that "things are ok", and that required that we secure a "safe" long-term home for the GAGB site.

Personally, I would have had NO problems leaving the site hosted by Tim & June - I trust their integrity - but I am VERY aware that if as a committee we had decided to take that route, then we would have to suffer a LOT of negative comments from some members who do not know T&J that well.

I am actually very sad that T&J have effectively been "hounded" out of GAGB by certain members putting them in a position where nothing they could do was deemed to be right. I am VERY aware of the hurt this has caused T&J too... I don&#39;t think many people realise QUITE how much effort was spent by T&J (and others of the "secret seven" too&#33 in getting GAGB started up. Most of you are blissfully unaware of all that, and some are just happy to complain when things are not going the way THEY think things should.

At the moment, I want to see GAGB moving forwards, and NOT sitting around "arguing the toss".... if that means that I have to bite my tongue occasionally, then I&#39;m gonna have to do it, and I hope others on the committee (and other members too&#33 will do the same...

Finally, can I re-iterate what Kouros has said: most of us have lives to lead. Normally I am at work (sometimes away from home) during the day, and have other things to do in the evenings too (many of us have kids) - although this week I have suffered from an extremely bad back, meaning that for several days & evenings I have been flat on my back in bed..... its not easy to do much when you&#39;re like that.

Things WILL take time, we ALL have a limited number of hours available per week, and even though I&#39;ve agreed to be on the committee, that is NOT going to stop me having a life / going caching.

Paul

paul.blitz Guest

Originally posted by Muggle@Nov 8 2003, 01:12 AM

Why is there a need for secrecy in such a small organisation?

Alex

Have you ever actually SERVED on a committee?

If you have, then you will KNOW that there are times when things need to be discussed discretely.

Let&#39;s take a hypothetical example (which is actually very relevant): should GAGB move the website & forum away from T&J&#39;s servers, and if so, where to? (and, just as importantly, where NOT to). Various options will need to be discussed, but to discuss them IN PUBLIC would NOT be very useful: people (including YOU, I have no doubt) would very quickly get all uptight because maybe they manage to read something into our messages which was never there.

Another example: what should we, the committee, do about sockpuppets? Who ARE the sock-puppets? Wow, people would go BALLISTIC if we had an open & honest discussion on THAT in public.

So, Alex, get real, and understand that there IS a reason for a certain amount of "confidentiality".

Now, before you say ANYTHING about my son, Michael, being able to read the committee forum:

(i) before Michael was allowed to read anything, I asked if any other committee members had any objections. I think most, if not all, of the committee have met Michael, so they were able to make "an informed decision". There were no objections - if there had been, I would NOT have allowed Michael to read the forum;

(ii) Michael is a very intelligent 14 year old, and as such, has actually a lot to contribute to GAGB. However, he is also very aware that he has to keep the confidentiality of committee discussions. His posting saying that he was able to see the committee forum was not a good thing to have done (as has been demonstrated by the subsequent postings);

(iii) I, too, do not like my son being called a "sprog"...... it is NOT the sort of phrase that one should use unless one is DELIBERATELY trying to stir things up. I would have said nothing, but it seems that 3 others have already voiced their "displeasure" at that phrase.

(iv) if at any time, any of the committee feel that they no longer want Michael to read the forum, then I will ensure that is the case. If that happens, I may well then question about other&#39;s partners access.

(v) In any case, I feel that, in the same way I might talk (on a personal level) to other non-committee members about what the committee are doing, then I would still discuss things with Michael. I don&#39;t discuss them with my wife, as she doesn&#39;t really have much interest in caching.

Well, my back is hurting again, so the TV is about to win again&#33;

Paul Blitz (speaking his OWN mind)

BugznElm&#39;r Guest

Originally posted by paul.blitz@Nov 8 2003, 07:38 PM
    I seem to remember someone comment along the lines of "well, they&#39;ve already threatened to pull the plug twice".... another comment was something like "one person should not have the ability to ....."
    So Tim actually making a post on this forum on at least two separate occasions saying that he was ready to pull the plug on it didn&#39;t come into it at all ... it was that that someone bought it up again afterwards.

Originally posted by Muggle@Nov 8 2003, 05:35 PM

Perhaps you might like to explain what was offensive about it?

Personally I&#39;d have thought the fact that three people found it offensive is enough. Just because you don&#39;t find it offensive doesn&#39;t mean other people don&#39;t. Please have some respect for other people&#39;s feelings.
    Rich

Originally posted by paul.blitz@Nov 8 2003, 08:08 PM
    (iii) I, too, do not like my son being called a "sprog"...... it is NOT the sort of phrase that one should use unless one is DELIBERATELY trying to stir things up. I would have said nothing, but it seems that 3 others have already voiced their "displeasure" at that phrase.

In this neck of the woods the term "sprog" isn&#39;t offensive. I certainly did not use that term to "DELIBERATELY trying to stir things up". If you see it as that way, then I am more than happy to withdraw the remark.

I wonder why the same people who voiced their displeasure did not do the same over the barrage of vitriol, whispers and untruths that I have been subjected to on this forum over the past couple of weeks. Fortunately I have a thicker skin.

I suppose I should have been happy that Michael wanted to investigate the identity of Piggly. Had he succeeded where the others had previously failed, at least it would have perhaps convinced the doubters that it wasn&#39;t me.

Originally posted by el10t@Nov 8 2003, 08:27 PM
    Personally I&#39;d have thought the fact that three people found it offensive is enough. Just because you don&#39;t find it offensive doesn&#39;t mean other people don&#39;t. Please have some respect for other people&#39;s feelings.
    Just like the author of this post had respect for my feelings??

we all know yer a puppet, troll, pain in the ass.. so are you man/woman (sorry ladies) enough to come clean.. if not then shut up.. and get out.. you are not wanted or welcome.

Sorry Alex - I didn&#39;t realise you were tit-for-tatting.
    Carry on.
    Rich

Originally posted by Muggle+Nov 8 2003, 09:38 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Muggle @ Nov 8 2003, 09:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--el10t@Nov 8 2003, 08:27 PM
    Just like the author of this post had respect for my feelings??

we all know yer a puppet, troll, pain in the ass.. so are you man/woman (sorry ladies) enough to come clean.. if not then shut up.. and get out.. you are not wanted or welcome. [/b][/quote]
    Alex? Who said my name was Alex? "comment on being accused of being Muggle"

That IS your name though, isn&#39;t it Alex.

I like the Slytherin/Muggle connection - very clever.

(I also thought your "Norfolk and Goode" pseudonym was an amusing, if somewhat crude, pun. It was a shame it was changed it to "The Goode Guys".)

Was my Put up or Shut up that done it.. sorry to put a spanner in yer works Alex..

Did flush out a Sock puppet/troll though didn&#39;t it..

Apart from the fact that you were not invited into the secret seven.. Is there any other reason that you just seem to do nothing else but try and wreck everything that GAGB is trying to do?

BY the way.. the little contact I&#39;ve had with Master Blitz.. he&#39;s a canny lad.. and prolly more sence than you an me put together..
    Moss The Boss... Sorta

Originally posted by Moss Trooper@Nov 8 2003, 11:05 PM
    Did flush out a Sock puppet/troll though didn&#39;t it..
    Well actually you didn&#39;t.

The only sock puppet who has been exposed on these forums was in fact Devils Advocate who turned out to be none other than.... Moss Trooper. Well who would have thought that&#33;&#33;&#33;

I have stated this before, but you choose to ignore the facts.

a ) I have never posted on GAGB or GC.COM on any matter to do with GAGB using a sock puppet.

b ) I have never voted more than once in any GAGB election.

You have no evidence whatsoever that I have done anything that you accuse me of.

Quite frankly I&#39;m tiring of this but I&#39;m not going away. Not as long as you keep spouting lies. Your choice.

Give it a rest and let the new committee get on and get things going. If you have anything else to say, i suggest you take it to email as I am not prepared to discuss your foundless accusastions any further on this forum.

BugznElm&#39;r Guest

Seeing Moss&#39;s post above and I just realized that he is posting under the group "Founder Member/Committee" ... is this group on this forum now outdated as the GAGB have an elected committee?

For clarity might I suggest that this be changed.

BugznElm&#39;r Guest

I&#39;m amazed that three people thought that the word "sprog" was offensive while nobody seemed to think that the following post by Moss Trooper, laced with abuse and threats:

"If your a sock puppet .. sod off.. your not wanted or welcome and I&#39;ll do as suggested in another thread and pull yer plug.

If yer a troll.. hope it&#39;s under a bridge in the Cheviots.. cos yer will be part of the foundation.. thats what happens to stiffs."

Teasel Guest

Oh dear, oh dear, things are rather volatile round here at the moment&#33; How come every discussion seems to end up talking about sock puppets? Meanwhile, back on topic...

Three question for the committee ...

1 - Where will the new site be hosted?
    2 - When is the move expected?
    3 - How are the bills being paid when the GAGB has no cash? What controls are in place to prevent someone getting hacked off and threatening to pull the plug?
    Unsurprisingly enough, the committee has been discussing the future of the website, both amongst ourselves and with T&J. When I met T&J about 3 weeks ago, they expressed a desire that a new home be found at some point, but said they were happy for it to remain on their server in the meantime. Whilst I have argued strongly that the website should be controlled by the committee as a whole, rather than by any individual, I appreciate equally strongly their generous provision of top-notch web hosting, without which GAGB would have not got off the ground&#33;

For technical reasons, the present committee cannot have all the administrative access we&#39;d ideally like on Tim&#39;s server, for the simple reason that it is a production server he uses for his business clients. Politically, having any individual single-handedly controlling the GAGB server is not ideal. That goes for anyone: me, T&J, Mark, Peter, whoever.

Speaking personally, I&#39;d like to see the following
    - The website should be controllable by any and all members of the committee
    - The website innards should be inaccessible to anyone not on the committee
    - Nobody should be seen to have undue influence on GAGB through their provision of a website
    - The website should be as immune to having the plug pulled as possible

As for the "where, when and how" questions, the answer has to be that we&#39;re discussing it and that we&#39;ll let you know as soon as we&#39;ve decided&#33; Patience, puleeeeze&#33;

Teasel Guest

Originally posted by paul.blitz@Nov 8 2003, 08:08 PM
    (iv) if at any time, any of the committee feel that they no longer want Michael to read the forum, then I will ensure that is the case.
    Can&#39;t speak for the others but I myself have no problems at all with Michael reading the committee forums, being present at committee meetings etc. I hope and expect that Jayne, Bob, Debbie, Nicky etc will be afforded the same courtesy without all these mutterings in the forums&#33;

BugznElm&#39;r Guest

Originally posted by Teasel+Nov 9 2003, 04:47 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Teasel @ Nov 9 2003, 04:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--paul.blitz@Nov 8 2003, 08:08 PM
    (iv) if at any time, any of the committee feel that they no longer want Michael to read the forum, then I will ensure that is the case.
    Can&#39;t speak for the others but I myself have no problems at all with Michael reading the committee forums, being present at committee meetings etc. I hope and expect that Jayne, Bob, Debbie, Nicky etc will be afforded the same courtesy without all these mutterings in the forums&#33; [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;m not saying that there&#39;s anything wrong with this but I would urge the committee not to do something that could result in confidence being lost in the current committee. Things still seem touchy and it might be wise to play things carefully for the next few months ... just in case&#33;

Seasider Guest

Originally posted by Teasel+Nov 9 2003, 04:47 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Teasel @ Nov 9 2003, 04:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--paul.blitz@Nov 8 2003, 08:08 PM
    Can&#39;t speak for the others but I myself have no problems at all with Michael reading the committee forums, being present at committee meetings etc. I hope and expect that Jayne, Bob, Debbie, Nicky etc will be afforded the same courtesy without all these mutterings in the forums&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Surely this is clear cut?

Paul Blitz & Teasel stood for election not Team Blitz & Team Teasel.

Therefore, other family members should not have access to committee forums etc.

It is unacceptable for unelected cachers to have anything to do with an elected committee.

Seasider

THE BRAMBLERS Guest

The committee are not deciding the fate of the world here.

It&#39;s geocaching - FAMILY FUN&#33;&#33;&#33;

Debbie

NattyBooshka Guest

Originally posted by Seasider+Nov 9 2003, 06:23 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Seasider @ Nov 9 2003, 06:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Teasel@Nov 9 2003, 04:47 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--paul.blitz
    @Nov 8 2003, 08:08 PM

Can&#39;t speak for the others but I myself have no problems at all with Michael reading the committee forums, being present at committee meetings etc. I hope and expect that Jayne, Bob, Debbie, Nicky etc will be afforded the same courtesy without all these mutterings in the forums&#33;
    Surely this is clear cut?

Paul Blitz & Teasel stood for election not Team Blitz & Team Teasel.

Therefore, other family members should not have access to committee forums etc.

It is unacceptable for unelected cachers to have anything to do with an elected committee.

Seasider [/b][/quote]
    We agree totally... where do we draw the line? Can we look at them if we have a friends friends uncles grandsons aunt on the committee? :P

We do think it should be ONLY the ELECTED committee who have admin access of any type. We assume that all data we provided when signing up is protected from ALL eyes that should not be seeing it (including those of family members of committee) in accordance with data protection regulations. It would not be acceptable for our bank manager to allow her son access to our account details, and we fail to see the difference here.

Chris n Maria Guest

Originally posted by THE BRAMBLERS@Nov 9 2003, 06:34 PM

Debbie
    Ahh, A sane voice amongst the madness.

I bet it gets drowned out
    Chris

[QUOTE=THE BRAMBLERS The committee are not deciding the fate of the world here.

It Used to be until we started reading this forum

Inch by Inch Life&#39;s a Cinch
    Yard by yard it&#39;s Very hard

So why not give PEACE a Chance

Mel
    Geocachers do it by Degrees

Seasider Guest

Originally posted by THE BRAMBLERS@Nov 9 2003, 06:34 PM

Debbie
    No, but to have credibility as an organisation it is necessary to follow an accepted framework.

If we are to elect a committee and adopt rules & procedures then &#39;legal technicalities&#39; such as only elected representatives having certain privileges must be followed.

I can see how this is of little interest to the average cacher but it is an important issue.

Seasider

Ashandes Guest

Originally posted by paul.blitz@Nov 8 2003, 07:38 PM
    I am actually very sad that T&J have effectively been "hounded" out of GAGB by certain members putting them in a position where nothing they could do was deemed to be right.
    Is there any chance you could let this drop at some point? As many people have pointed out (yourself included) a full committee has been elected (at last&#33 and it&#39;s time to move forward. Continual vague accusations at unnamed members of an organisation that has elected you is just plain terrible for morale. Just as a member continually making vague accusations of vote rigging would not be a good for morale and a way of moving on.

If we need to let some "issues" of the past drop and remain in the past then this needs to go for everyone. If you have specific evidence or accusations you should present it or perhaps take it up with the person in question. But these sorts of blanket accusations really do no one any good.

Omally Guest

Originally posted by Chris n Maria+Nov 9 2003, 07:02 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chris n Maria @ Nov 9 2003, 07:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--THE BRAMBLERS@Nov 9 2003, 06:34 PM

Debbie

Chris [/b][/quote]
    Maybe not if enough of us say it loud enough:

The committee are not deciding the fate of the world here. It&#39;s geocaching - FAMILY FUN&#33;&#33;&#33;

BugznElm&#39;r Guest

Originally posted by Omally+Nov 9 2003, 09:20 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Omally @ Nov 9 2003, 09:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Chris n Maria@Nov 9 2003, 07:02 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--THE BRAMBLERS
    @Nov 9 2003, 06:34 PM

Debbie

Chris
    Maybe not if enough of us say it loud enough:

The committee are not deciding the fate of the world here. It&#39;s geocaching - FAMILY FUN&#33;&#33;&#33;

[/b][/quote]
    Why does "fun" need a commitee? An association?

Originally posted by BugznElm&#39;r@Nov 9 2003, 09:32 PM
    I think the reasons and aims of GAGB are easy to find on this site. I&#39;m surprised you haven&#39;t seen them.
    Rich

I am sorry that elected members of the committee, have stated that it&#39;s ok for non members of the committee to be allowed to read what is supposed to be a private forum for the committees eyes only&#33; If its private, only the committee should read it, if it&#39;s not it should be posted on the public forums. Otherwise you are creating what is a privileged group of members who have not been elected by the membership&#33; Also how can the committee enter into confidential negotiations with landowners, when the details of those negotiations can be accessed by non elected members of this Association. As all ready has been seen negotiations can come to a halt thru comments made on forums. As for geocaching being family fun, yes it is&#33; But this association was set up to provide support and give a stable base for geocaching in the UK, as such it has to be serious, and act in a credible manner at all times if its going to represent geocaching in the UK. Dave Palmer
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Chris n Maria Guest

Originally posted by BugznElm&#39;r@Nov 9 2003, 09:32 PM
    Fun dosn&#39;t - the pursuit of fun via negotiation with landowners etc does. That is really the main point/thrust of GAGB and (even to the untrained eye) it appears that events in the New forest (if nowhere else) prove that official representation might help us all.

<just wondering> If you don&#39;t see the need for the association then why are you here? </just wondering>
    Chris