Thanks Thanks:  3

Thread: GC1D38 - Chase Memorial

Unhappy GC1D38 - Chase Memorial

This cache was first hidden on Cannock Chase on 16/09/2001 and must be one of the oldest caches in Staffordshire. But the owner seems to have moved on from geocaching as he has failed to respond to maintenance requests for the last 2 years! He also seems to have failed to respond to requests to let someone else adopt his cache.

I have fixed the immediate problem by providing a new cache container, logbook and contents, but cannot of course edit the cache entry itself (my visit log will inevitably drop out of sight).

To adopt the cache, we need his written agreement let someone else take it over, yet without this, I can only keep a watch on it to help prevent it being archived.

Does anyone remember 'Stevie, Rachel, Kirsty & Stephen' from 2001? Their geocaching name is 'stevieboy378' but this now seems to be inactive.

Any ideas how we can keep this historical cache alive???

Chris Evans
    (Matthew 7:7 Too)

I've done this cache (in fact it's the oldest cache I've done), and I agree we should make an effort to maintain it. I assume that if you can get their agreement, you will adopt the cache as you have already changed the container for them.

Maybe if you can't get hold of them we collectively need to keep an eye on it (i.e. stick it on the Watchlist) and put right any problems so that GC.com don't archive it.

Unfortunately I don't know them and don't think they were very active in the community; they didn't post in the forum or attend any events.

I was one of the earliest finders of this cache and just checked the other early finders to see who else was active in the early days and therefore may know them: Lathama, JasonW and Simes are possibilities.

Good luck with the adoption.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

You could try wading through all his logs on caches he's found to see if he mentions any other teams he was caching with. It's a long shot, but if you found any then you could try contacting them to see if they can put you in touch with the cache owner.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Hi,

It may be worth dropping a line to any of the following who may know them: The Haywood Hornet, Dmsstonerambler, Browni, Steve0185 or Deego. These are all long established cachers in the area.

If that fails post a note on the cache asking for it future visitors to help keep it going. Thanks for you efforts and we really must get down to it.

There's a possibility I'll bump into Stevo185 tomorrow night, I'll ask him

Our third ever cache find !

Having read the US forums the only way to look after these historical caches is via community spirit as Mathew has allready done.

The original listing is part of that history as well with the jimminy cricket etc.

The main issue they have had in the US is needs maintainance logs that only the owner or reviewer can remove.

NB id say that MArcB is the most likely person to know them due to his prolific placing in the early years arround the area and i know he still logs in occasionally !

NB many thanks for maintaining it allready thats really good of you
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Quote Originally Posted by markandlynn View Post
    Our third ever cache find !

Having read the US forums the only way to look after these historical caches is via community spirit as Mathew has allready done.

The original listing is part of that history as well with the jimminy cricket etc.

The main issue they have had in the US is needs maintainance logs that only the owner or reviewer can remove.

NB id say that MArcB is the most likely person to know them due to his prolific placing in the early years arround the area and i know he still logs in occasionally !

NB many thanks for maintaining it allready thats really good of you
    Think I was reading the same/similar forums 'over there' and it was mentioned that a 'Friendly Reviewer' may make changes on the cache page, but only the original owner can start the adoption process...
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

Thanks for your kind comments. I had emailed Deci in the hope he could remove the maintenance tag, and to ask about the adoption process but haven't had a reply. But Groundspeak regard the cache as the owner's property, and even if he has abandoned it are unwilling/unable to transfer ownership without his permission. I've placed it on my watch list to keep tabs on it for now.

Chris (Matthew 7:7 Too)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew 7:7 Too View Post
    Thanks for your kind comments. I had emailed Deci in the hope he could remove the maintenance tag, and to ask about the adoption process but haven't had a reply. But Groundspeak regard the cache as the owner's property, and even if he has abandoned it are unwilling/unable to transfer ownership without his permission. I've placed it on my watch list to keep tabs on it for now.

Chris (Matthew 7:7 Too)
    Due to the recent extremely high workload, I prioritised reviewing caches over answering emails. So a huge email backlog built up. I've managed to catch up to Mid June up to now .

However I've not ignored the cache I've removed the needs maintenance attribute, moved the missing TB to unknow location [posting a note to the TB page explaining what's happened].

Emailed the cache owner about adopting it over, and put it on a very elite Bookmark List of caches that are being maintained by the community [this is so elite that there is only a couple of caches on that list. With a higher chance of finding a leprechaun's pot of gold, than another cache going on that list ].

I'm also doing some research .

if you prepared to act as Primary in the event of any issues with the cache, I'll add that to the bookmark.

Deci
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

'Friendly Reviewer' may make changes.
    :socool:
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas