Thanks Thanks:  3
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Geocaching.com down?

Unhappy Geocaching.com down?

Is anyone else having problems connecting to Geocaching.com. I keep getting a DNS 'Cannot find Server' error. Don't know if its this end or elsewhere. But it seems to be the only site I'm having trouble with.

Me to and I'm on for three FTF this afternoon
    Ho hum!

The Forums are down too, and they are on a different server.....strange

yep

I'd guess at a power cut or something similar.

Maybe they've forgotten to feed the Hamsters.

Hope its only temporary - we're hoping to go to Morecambe tomorrow (That's living the high life!) and I've not got the details of the caches there yet.

Same here - got a DNS error !!
    Happy Caching

Gazooks

- Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age.

Mr.Coffee and the Coffee Clan Guest

Default [Check4SPAM] RE: URL Attempt

gc.com is down in Australia and New Zealand as well. It appears to be world wide. I have sent a message via the iPhone tester group to see just how wide this is.
    Regards Mr.Coffee and the "withdrawl symptons" Coffee Clan.
    Melbourne, Australia
    Last edited by studlyone; 3rd July 2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Approving after the system over zealously flagged the post as spam

andyh3930 Guest

I think it more than a powercut at their site. The DNS record has gone. This means that when you type in the webaddress it doesn't know what IP Address to convert it too.
    Also googling geocaching.com and IP Address returns an IP Address that at some point was used by geocaching.com and that is timing-out and not loading. They may be moving servers or hosting companies.

Default All of Groundspeak is down

Everything related to Groundspeak is down - geocaching.com, waymarking.com, whereigo.com, groundspeak.com, forums.geocaching.com... I would imagine they have some catastrophic failure somewhere on their hosting net.

What concerns me is that, as it's July 4th tomorrow - which I believe is some small local holiday for those colonials across the pond - they may have radically reduced resources looking at the problem. :wacko:

On the other hand, I would imagine it would be a peak time for American geocachers to be out doing their thing? So the pressure must be on to ensure the site is back up to support them. (Or I suppose it could have been crashed by the number of users trying to access it? The GC forums were so slow last night that I gave up trying to access threads.

Chris

Yup no access, just when I can skip out of work early [}]

Posted: 3 July 09 8:25 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
    Message from Groundspeak: We are currently experiencing technical problems. We are working hard to fix it. Please accept our apologies groundspeak.com

Talking

At times like this, aren't you really glad that you keep your GSAK database of all the UK caches fully updated
    John
    Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharisee View Post
    At times like this, aren't you really glad that you keep your GSAK database of all the UK caches fully updated
    I sometimes wonder why I have so many PQ's running for areas I seldom visit...now I know why!

Hail GSAK!

Quote Originally Posted by Pharisee View Post
    GSAK No1, iPhone gc app saved offline caches Excellent!.
    All this does pose two questions:, Does gc.com backup their databases off shore and does gc.com have a backup plan/system

Looks like I'll have to cut the grass now
    Ho hum!

Quote Originally Posted by Watford Wobble View Post
    Looks like I'll have to cut the grass now

Its just started raining here - no chance of thet either
    Happy Caching

Gazooks

- Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age.

wizardsmum Guest

Default Geocaching.com down

Great, just when we had planned to go out after work. Hope it comes back on soon. Does any one have saved the co-ords and hints they could give me for Nos 1 - 7 of the devil dyke ones by 'sad exploration ' ? (DDC 08 Fork left )

I think the hint was 'ivy'.
    Ho hum!

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsmum View Post
    Great, just when we had planned to go out after work. Hope it comes back on soon. Does any one have saved the co-ords and hints they could give me for Nos 1 - 7 of the devil dyke ones by 'sad exploration ' ? (DDC 08 Fork left )
    Yes... email sent
    John
    Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

There is a rumor going around a few forums that the gc.com website was hacked...Only a rumor though.

Apparently...
    Elias had 'tweaked' the forums to 'run faster...'

I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

keehotee Guest

I can't get on today - and have had problems with the forums for the past week or so

wizardsmum Guest

Smile

Thanks Praisee.

I've just had it officially confirmed that there is a power outage affecting the whole building where the servers are located. So it's not a Groundspeak equipment issue, but one involving multiple companies. The problem is being worked on at the moment.

It's a case of No Power, means No Servers, which means No Site.

Deceangi
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Yup problems problems & problems. Got a great phone and software (GCz) just got a cr@p website that has problems to often. Wanted to check a cache, got the details on the PDA & the Garmin but wanted to check and what do I get Zilch and I pay to be a premium member for this service.
    Oh well just read Deceangi's post but then again it is not the first time I have had problems accessing the site and it won't be the last, maybe it is time to change the hamsters for cheetahs.
    Last edited by DrDick&Vick; 3rd July 2009 at 01:55 PM.

Question PQ help?

We've got some friends who are going away this weekend;

Does anyone have a PQ covering the M5 from Bristol to Exeter?

Does anyone have a PQ covering Exeter andthe surrounding area?

Many thanks in advance for any help,

Mike

keehotee Guest

Yes - I've got an Exeter to Bristol PQ...... pm me and I'll email it on.

PM sent - many thanks!

Mike

keehotee Guest

Email sent - glad to help

Guess who's feeling quite smug sitting in the car on top of Watership Down having just found and logged a great Terracache!
    Last edited by The Hornet; 3rd July 2009 at 03:30 PM.

Dakar4x4 Guest

Just followed that Terrorcaching link...

"An internal server error occurred. Please try again later."

So much for Terrorcaching?

Jon.

sTeamTraen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee and the Coffee Clan View Post
    There is a rumor going around a few forums that the gc.com website was hacked...Only a rumor though.
    Well, that could have been quickly eliminated as a cause by noting that neither the geocaching.com nor groundspeak.com domain names are resolving to an address. So the problem is at a level well beyond "a web site being hacked".

My information (as unreliable as anyone else's) is that there was a fire which has affected the electrical supply of the building in which Groundspeak's servers are just one of many, many companies which are "colocated". So the building has no power (but apparently the server rooms were not affected). You can bet that a lot of people who are way more influential than Groundspeak will be "encouraging" the local utility people to get this fixed very quickly.

It would be interesting to see (not that I imagine we will ever find out) whether anybody's insurance pays for resulting financial losses. Groundspeak's will probably be fairly minimal, but if you're selling stuff online, a few hours of downtime can be big bucks in lost revenue.

Not the greatest time for it to happen, though: any Friday is bad enough as people plan their weekend, but also it's the Fourth of July holiday tomorrow. I suppose it could have been even worse if that had fallen on a Monday.
    Last edited by sTeamTraen; 3rd July 2009 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear and Ragged View Post
    Apparently...
    Elias had 'tweaked' the forums to 'run faster...'

After Elias's tweaking sometime during our Wednesday night / Thursday wee small hours I found that the whole forum was running much better through yesterday, so I'm glad it wasn't him who broke it by fiddling too much

Anyway, if it's just a localised power outage we'll just have to sit back and wait...

Community sing-song anyone?

Jeremy Irish is "twittering" if anyone is interested....

http://twitter.com/locuslingua
    Last edited by Stokesy; 3rd July 2009 at 04:17 PM.

Of course, this is just typical as we are off to Wales early tomorrow for a week's holiday!

I don't suppose anyone has a PQ for the areas around Shell Island?

Thanks,

Marcus

Quote Originally Posted by jacksomd View Post
    Of course, this is just typical as we are off to Wales early tomorrow for a week's holiday!

I don't suppose anyone has a PQ for the areas around Shell Island?

Thanks,

Marcus
    Where's Shell Island?
    I have a PQ for North Wales that's recent

Quote Originally Posted by von-horst View Post
    We've got some friends who are going away this weekend;

Does anyone have a PQ covering the M5 from Bristol to Exeter?

Does anyone have a PQ covering Exeter andthe surrounding area?

Many thanks in advance for any help,

Mike
    I've got one that covers from Exeter to Okehampton PM me

It's on the coast (obviously) south of Porthmadog. The nearest town is Llanbedr.

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!

Marcus

Simply Paul Guest

Glad it's not just me. Annoying though, as I have a lot of TBs and coins to log, and caches too. Oh well, I'll find something else for my evening's entertainment and hope years of logs and photos haven't been lost forever... h34r:

Quote Originally Posted by jacksomd View Post
    It's on the coast (obviously) south of Porthmadog. The nearest town is Llanbedr.

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!

Marcus
    PM me with an e-mail address and I'll send you what I've got, hopefully it will help

Saddlesore1000 Guest

Unhappy Puzzled - Poor planning ????

So what disaster recovery planning was done by Groundspeak for this eventuality? None it would seem.

We are going to North Wales this weekend, luckily we have PQs for the area we are visiting - we planned ahead - Groundspeak take note, smarten your act up please!

Oh for Frak sake! Just returned fromwork to start planning the weekend caching......
    He who hesitates is not only lost, but miles from the next exit.

How Many Roads Must A Man Walk Down Before He Admits Hes lost?

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. - TS ELLIOT

sTeamTraen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Saddlesore1000 View Post
    So what disaster recovery planning was done by Groundspeak for this eventuality? None it would seem.

We are going to North Wales this weekend, luckily we have PQs for the area we are visiting - we planned ahead - Groundspeak take note, smarten your act up please!
    A lot of companies with a lot more to lose will have done a lot less. Groundspeak's hosting company has off-site backups in case the whole server farm burns down. But duplicating the entire server setup is an awful lot of money - you'd have to mirror the database in real time across a pretty big distance (not much point rolling back 24 hours and telling people to log on that version for a day or two until you get the live version back, because someone's going to lose their logs and recently published caches however you do it).

There are techniques to cope with all this, but they tend to be mostly used by banks, who take more than $30 a year off their customers. I think that the day when geocaching has to be high-availability is some way off yet.

A quick search has produced details of the extent of the damage, which has knocked out larger companies than Groundspeak

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/a...e-data-center/

Deci
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Saddlesore1000 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sTeamTraen View Post
    A lot of companies with a lot more to lose will have done a lot less. Groundspeak's hosting company has off-site backups in case the whole server farm burns down. But duplicating the entire server setup is an awful lot of money - you'd have to mirror the database in real time across a pretty big distance (not much point rolling back 24 hours and telling people to log on that version for a day or two until you get the live version back, because someone's going to lose their logs and recently published caches however you do it).

There are techniques to cope with all this, but they tend to be mostly used by banks, who take more than $30 a year off their customers. I think that the day when geocaching has to be high-availability is some way off yet.
    Sounds like they need to change to a better prepared hosting company. DR sites are set up for this situation, I'd be prepared to pay a little more for Groundspeak to be better prepared in the future.

Found this report on the net

Major Outage at Seattle Data Center July 3rd, 2009 : Rich Miller

Many sites hosted at Seattles Fisher Plaza are offline amid widespread reports of a significant power event at the facility. The largest impact has been downtime at the payment portal Authorize.net, which has been
    offline for hours, meaning that its merchants have been unable to process credit card payments through their web sites. We are down due to a fire at our primary data center in Seattle, Authorize.net reports on its Twitter account. We are working to restore services, but no ETA at this time. AdHost chief technical officer Michael Smith has posted a status report on the home page of the hosting provider, whose data center is at Fisher Plaza. Beginning at approximately 11:18 PM on July 2nd and continuing through the present time Fisher Plaza experienced a significant power event that required all power systems including street power, UPS, and Generator power to be completely shut down in Plaza East, Smith reports. The event is ongoing and, at this point, we do not have a ETA for service restoration. Other tenants at the facility say they now expect their sites to be down all day. NANOG mailing list reports that the incident triggered the sprinkler system in an
    electrical equipment room. As noted in the NANOG report, water damage could complicate recovery efforts. This is the second major outage at Fisher Plaza in the past year. Last June many sites at the building were offline after an electrical event at the building. Fisher Plaza previously had a major outage in 2006 (more details here on that incident). The owner of the building, which also houses the operations of Seattle TV and radio stations, has been attempting to sell Fisher Plaza.

sTeamTraen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Saddlesore1000 View Post
    Sounds like they need to change to a better prepared hosting company. DR sites are set up for this situation, I'd be prepared to pay a little more for Groundspeak to be better prepared in the future.
    We looked at DR for my work some time ago. Most of the SLAs are expressed in days, not hours, and the prices are expressed in hundreds of thousands. You're paying for them to keep a hot spare of any server which you might have. And even then you are rolling back to a previous version of your data.

It's possible to run a cluster with immediate, redundant failover across multiple cities, but your cost per transaction goes up by a factor considerably greater than 2, and it isn't worth doing unless your business model needs reliability with a lot more 9s after the decimal point than Groundspeak's does.

The reliability of the site's software has always been the major source of downtime, so spending money on making it (literally) bombproof probably isn't the most rational choice.

Default Updates via Twitter

you can follow @locuslingua for updates on Groundspeak status regarding the current outage