Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Deja Vu

Lance Ambu Guest

Hello again,

It's been a while since I visited and, you know, nothing much seems to have changed. There is still a raging debate on who can or can't say what using whatever sign in name; who can or can't vote, what or who to vote for; how many to vote for ... ad nauseum.

Perhaps, this is all a bit easier than actually doing something. I'm not saying it is your fault.

On the positive side, there is a committee. In my view a committee is there to work on behalf of the members and within broad guidelines (that word again). Meaning that everything doesn't require approval from every member every time.
    Could the committee not publish its tasks to be completed within certain timescales and then be left to do them, reporting back at regular intervals?

The issues to be dealt with should be published and include some easily achievable objectives. I guess everyone will want a say in the formation of the LIST and whether it should be posted electronically, by Royal mail or on a board outside my house, in several languages and braille and audio cassette but please could we focus on some outcomes rather than process.
    If the committee fail to deliver in a major way then let the next man step forward at election time (set the date now, to allow advance notice for sickness, holidays and apathy).

Some issues floating around seem to be:
    where to host the web site
    vetting membership accounts
    election of chairman
    voting/polling procedures/consultation

I suggest the committee moves these forward with deadlines set. A review of any agreed outcome can take place in a year's time, in the meantime, something gets done, it can be changed a year from now if necessary - not still being talked about for a year.

My real name is Bryan
    I have Brown hair
    I have blue eyes
    Fingerprints and/or DNA samples can be provided.

BugznElm'r Guest

Originally posted by Lance Ambu@Nov 8 2003, 09:51 AM
    but please could we focus on some outcomes rather than process.
    I wholeheartedly agree ... but I don't think that this will happen. It's already been said that secrecy will be a big part of how things go and we're already seeing a committee member get into trouble over that.

I also like your ideas about the committee being accountable to the members ... however before we put them under pressure I'd say let's give them some time to get sorted.

I think I'll pass on that DNA sample, thanks! :P

Kouros Guest

Originally posted by BugznElm'r@Nov 8 2003, 10:03 AM
    I wholeheartedly agree ... but I don't think that this will happen. It's already been said that secrecy will be a big part of how things go and we're already seeing a committee member get into trouble over that.
    Now, wait just a second!

Where did anyone suggest that "secrecy will be a big part of how things go"?

And where is anyone "getting into trouble over that"?

EDIT: Slight re-wording in hope to prevent misinterpretation.
    EDIT2: Snipped redundant tosh. Apologies to anyone who had the chance to wade through that rubbish. Remainder of post still stands.

A,OG. (Anyway, Off Geocaching.)

paul.blitz Guest

Originally posted by Lance Ambu@Nov 8 2003, 09:51 AM
    Some issues floating around seem to be:
    where to host the web site
    vetting membership accounts
    election of chairman
    voting/polling procedures/consultation

where to host the web site: I suspect that various committee members have already (individually) been thinking about that... now its the weekend, we may have a few mins spare to discuss it!

vetting membership accounts: probably fairly low on the list for now I would think

election of chairman: we've already said that this will start by end of Feb. HOW it will happen will be decided (not saying by whom it will be decided) between now & then.

voting/polling procedures/consultation: are likely to be covered in "Standing orders", and nothing much will happen to THOSE until I've had a chance to work on some form of Constitution first (after all, until you have an idea what's IN the constitution, you won't know what needs to be in the SO's!!&#33

But, with a nagging back, sitting in front of the TV in slight comfort seems to be rather more appealing that sitting less comfortably in front of a PC editting a constitution! But it WILL get done......

Paul (talking for himself)

Lance Ambu Guest

Thanks for the info/update.

I picked on those topics from a cursory trawl through the forum, not because I think they're burning issues. The point I'm trying to make is, to be like Santa,
    to make a list,
    check it twice
    and then start ticking off items as they are completed.

"Perfect" is great , but won't "good enough" do in the meantime. At least it would allow things to move forward. The committee do need time to make things happen. If the result isn't entirely satisfactory then rather than criticise - just identify the areas for improvement, add them to the list, and tackle them in due course.

As members we can suggest things for the list (introduces new word = "agenda") debate the priority, agree the priority and then allow the committee a bit of space to work in.

Bryan
    All characters in this post are ficticious. Any resemblance to any person, living or dead, is purely coincidental.