Thanks Thanks:  3

Thread: Pocket Queries: am I doing something wrong?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pocket Queries: am I doing something wrong?

When I got the bug, I registered with GC.com in November 2003 but various circumstances (helping run our family’s pub until late 2006 – holding a part-time working from home job as a website manager and steadily worsening back problems – no apathy or laziness involved at all, oh no) subsequently conspired to curtail my geocaching activities.

The mobility difficulties stemming from a couple of naff spinal nerves and discs have been significantly alleviated by surgery a few months ago and (having flipped up the lethargy switch as well) I have recently recommenced my geocaching efforts. However, I often find it quite difficult to walk more than moderate distances to find a cache – at the moment, 2 to 3 km over flattish terrain is about my limit, and that’s usually with a walking stick (varying degrees of necessity for this), although I am starting to think I might be able to use my mountain bike again which would open up somewhat greater distances (as long as there was some way I could get on the bloody thing without a mounting block and off it without falling over sideways).

So, although it’s not anywhere near as bad as it might be, I need to establish which caches I’d be able to do fairly easily. I’ve just submitted a PQ to list up to 200 caches near my home location with difficulty and terrain ratings of 1 or less (are there any rated a half, I wonder?). On submitting the query, the automated message says that it currently returns 0 results. Am I doing something wrong? I’ve set the following criteria for the PQ: Days to generate: Friday; Run this query every week on the days checked; Show me 100 caches of any type; Any container; That I haven’t found; And terrain is less than or equal to 1; Within United Kingdom; From My Home Co-ordinates; Within radius of 100 miles; Placed: None Selected; Output to my account’s e-mail address; In .GPX format (compressed). When I got the zero message, I tried different terrain and difficulty ratings and still got zilch!

I’d be grateful for any advice/suggestions. Maybe I could get those jolly nice folk at GC.com to add the search criteria “decrepit old codger with a stick/with a bike/without a bike”!
    It only takes one drink to get me drunk, but I can never remember if it was the thirteenth or fourteenth.

Copy one of these but dont use the date ranges just make sure everything else matches.

http://markandlynn.croaghan.com/Pape...hing_guide.PDF

Id recomend asking for 500 caches and up your terrain to at least 1.5.

Make sure no other boxes have inadbertently got ticked as well.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Thanks so much for your help, it's much appreciated. Actually, I do keep GSAK up to date with UK caches but, as I hadn't used the program's filtering facility to any great extent before, I didn't even think to look at it! Another old codger moment!
    It only takes one drink to get me drunk, but I can never remember if it was the thirteenth or fourteenth.

Also.
    Don't check "Day to Run" until you've run the PQ.

If you've set things 'right' you should get a page saying "This has *** caches, view on nearest search page" or similar.

If it's what you're after, now edit and select "Day to Run" -saves using actual PQ's until you're ready.
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

nobbynobbs Guest

i'd set the terrain at 2. green fordv go is rated as a 2 but the terrain isn't that bad unless it's been really wet.

it'll give you a starting point.

FuzzyBears Guest

Having similar problems to the OP I have found the best tool for sorting caches is Memory map (or the streetmaps map on GC).. We get our nearest 450 caches that we haven't done in a PQ transfer these to MM via GSAK /Lord Elf's wonderful icons.... You can then see how far from parking and a rough idea of terrain... what type of cache and if you set the export right the T/D setting for the cache...
    I have seen T1 caches with a 5 mile hike and T2 caches which are just up a short banking from a lay-by
    Then with a quick click you can go to the cache page and check the details

Having the same set up on a PDA allows for drive by caching if you have time to spare on a journey .. We picked up 5 on the way homeon Saturday all within 1k from the road. and have done 15 in a day without going more than 1.5k
    Not a cheap solution but a good one IMO
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by LoisInTheForest View Post
    Thanks so much for your help, it's much appreciated. Actually, I do keep GSAK up to date with UK caches but, as I hadn't used the program's filtering facility to any great extent before, I didn't even think to look at it! Another old codger moment!
    if you need a hand with some GSAK filters, feel free to give me a shout - I may even be able to rustle up something appropriate for you and e-mail it over.

Dave
    purple_pineapple