Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Is it me?

Is anyone else having problems with the GC.COM site and UK forum. It seems to take ages to connect and no postings appear to have been made yesterday. I tried to post a new topic and received the reply that the page was not available.
    Enjoy your caching!

Chris n Maria Guest

Nope its not just you,

If you try to go to the forums you get page not found. Seems to be a major malfunction. A load of people have mentioned it on the GC:UK forums as well.

Chris

Lance Ambu Guest

I eventually got to the forum page via the home page, but it wouldn't accept a new topic - I was trying to send a get well soon card.

Normally Sunday mornings means a fast response from the site - maybe they put their clocks back this weekend? <_<

The Groundspeak forums have been getting slower and slower lately. Apparently the server is running at very close to capacity. It looks as if it&#39;s been over capacity this weekend.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

The gc.com forums at Infopop are now officially closed, as they&#39;ve physically outgrown their server and gc.com can&#39;t afford the new hosting arrangement which would be required for the current amount of traffic. As a result Infopop has terminated the contract.

Gc.com are looking at forum software with a view to hosting new forums on their own servers, but this may take a while. As a side issue, gc.com have thirty days to move the last three years worth of postings to their own servers.

You can find more information here.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

NattyBooshka Guest

now that&#39;s a sad day for caching... lets hope they get something sorted soon&#33;

seifer Guest

They are looking to migrate to an Invision Board (like this one). That would take a hell of a lot of effort and coding, and I&#39;m not sure if it would be worth it. Yes, Invision is a good piece of software, but it&#39;s also available for free on the web, and my motto is "don&#39;t trust nothing that&#39;s free"

BugznElm&#39;r Guest

Originally posted by seifer@Nov 11 2003, 11:26 PM
    and my motto is "don&#39;t trust nothing that&#39;s free"
    Yes ... "you get what you pay for" and "buy cheap, buy twice" do spring to mind with that. They&#39;ve got a lot of work ahead of them to migrate. Sad day indeed.

Although perhaps a lesson we here should heed?

MCL Guest

Originally posted by NattyBooshka@Nov 11 2003, 10:41 PM
    now that&#39;s a sad day for caching... lets hope they get something sorted soon&#33;
    Well only so much as its a sad day for the GC forum community. Caching itself, many would argue, is nothing to do with the forum, and those people just get out there and find caches, and log them on the main site (or even other people&#39;s sites)

So it is not necessarily *so* terrible and sad for *caching* per se....

It also deprives a whole bunch of trolls and sockpuppets the arena they have come to abuse so much. ASo maybe the cloud has a bit of a lining after all. It might also encourage us to spend more time actually caching. (I&#39;m a prime candidate here&#33

Here&#39;s the latest update from GC.COM regarding the forums.

11/12 8:50pm PST We&#39;re moving ahead with the installation of Invision Power Board. We are currently running three boards in our office. One is running with a Microsoft SQL back-end, and the other two are running mySQL (databases). Elias was successfully able to download all the historical posts from the old forum, which is great news, but I don&#39;t expect the posts to be up on the new board near-term. Our inital goal is to get the forum running and active, and bring in the historical posts afterwards. Worst case we&#39;ll put them in a web archive for reference purposes.

Tomorrow we start work on integrating the accounts with the Geocaching web site and the forums. Because the forums run on a different platform there have been some challenges exporting the account data to the new database. We spent most of today tearing our hair out on one or two sticky issues.

Over the last two days there has been a surge in the number of geocachers finding caches. Coincidence?

Notice the last line. Dave Palmer
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Chris n Maria Guest

Originally posted by Mancunian@Nov 13 2003, 09:25 AM
    Over the last two days there has been a surge in the number of geocachers finding caches. Coincidence?

Notice the last line. Dave Palmer
    Not sure about more caching but certainly getting more work done

Teasel Guest

Not sure about more work, but certainly getting more coding done

Thanks to A-Z, we&#39;ve now got a better map of the fox&#39;s last known location, (complete with the cache icons from your tube map&#33 B) Probably time I did some real work though... :unsure:

NattyBooshka Guest

Originally posted by Teasel@Nov 13 2003, 02:20 PM
    Probably time I did some real work though... :unsure:
    Surely there&#39;s no need for that