Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Winchester Late Xmas Bash

paul.blitz Guest

As mentioned elsewhere, I'm planning to repeat the successful "Winchester cachers & friends late Xmas bash" again in January.

With a preliminary date of 25th Jan 2004, it will hopefully be at the same place as last time (N 51° 06.005 W 001° 24.025).

We will repeat the "Secret Santa" again, but instead of buying for a named person, just buy a gift (between 2 and 5 pounds) and bring it along. All the gifts will go into a big box, and everyone can then take one out the box. So keep an eye open whilst you do the Xmas shopping, or in the New Year sales!

(It's my wife's birthday on the 25th Jan, and I just said to her "I have some good news and bad news.... the good news is I'm taking you out to lunch on your birthday..... the bad news is that the place will be full of cachers!!").

There will, of course, be a cache, but this time it will be a bit more challenging, and you'll probably want to drive the mile to the village where it will be (the road to it isn't really safe to walk).

Paul

Omally Guest

Originally posted by paul.blitz@Nov 15 2003, 05:42 PM
    (It's my wife's birthday on the 25th Jan, and I just said to her "I have some good news and bad news.... the good news is I'm taking you out to lunch on your birthday..... the bad news is that the place will be full of cachers!!").
    You old smoothie...

Kouros Guest

Originally posted by paul.blitz@Nov 15 2003, 05:42 PM
    There will, of course, be a cache, but this time it will be a bit more challenging, and you'll probably want to drive the mile to the village where it will be (the road to it isn't really safe to walk).
    And having said that...

Back when we were writing our manifestos, I promised to promote more environmentally aware campaigns, so...

Paul has agreed to do something a little different, and as such the GAGB Committee (at our own expense) will also be presenting a prize to the cacher, or team of cachers who journey to the bash in the most environmentally aware manner. Points will be awarded for distance covered/people in party/most usable/most original alternative, as well as more obvious factors such as fuel used/most economical etc.

A quick (yet do-able) idea would be the old car-share scheme, picking up cachers en route. But you could try and be a little creative!

Details of the prize, and more info on the competition, will be revealed at a later date.

paul.blitz Guest

OK, I can now confirm that the Winchester Late Xmas Cache Bash will be on Sunday 25th Jan, 2004, at the "Rack & Manger Country Pub & Restaurant" (ie same as in Jan 2003&#33

The proprietor came up with a good suggestion: rather than trying to serve us during the normal Sunday-lunch peried (ie 12 to 2-ish), he could keep the kitchen open later than normal, and then serve us all after 2-00 or 2-30.

Thst seems like a reasonable suggestion.... it makes it less of a rush for people to arrive, and lets people chat & have a drink or three first. It would also let the early-arrivers go out to do the event cache before lunch if they wish to.

Of course, if you feel you can't wait that late for food, you could always book for lunch in the restaurant side.

Could I have some feedback on this idea please?

Michael has started on the event's cache page, so that should be available shortly.

Paul

MCL Guest

I like the idea of the late lunch. I'm always doing it.

watermillers Guest

hello to you all. we have only been geocaching for a few months and my wife and myself would like to take part in the late christmas bash, are children allowed to attend.If so we look forward to seeing you all there.

paul.blitz Guest

Originally posted by watermillers@Dec 20 2003, 07:35 PM
    .... are children allowed to attend? If so we look forward to seeing you all there.
    Children are most welcome to join in. My 2, Callum (8) and Michael (14), will be there I am sure.

Paul

MCL Guest

Originally posted by watermillers@Dec 20 2003, 08:35 PM
    are children allowed to attend.If so we look forward to seeing you all there.
    I jolly well hope so, otherwise this thirty-something kid is gonna have to scweam and scweam and scweam until he's sick!

paul.blitz Guest

The GC.com forum thread has more info watermillers:

https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...showtopic=58946