Thanks Thanks:  2

Thread: Taking it to extremes... again! June 2010 trip to Jersey- and beyond?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Simply Paul Guest

Exclamation Taking it to extremes... again! June 2010 trip to Jersey- and beyond?

It's that time again!

Having recovered from my amazing trip to the UK's most northerly point at the far end of Shetland* in June, I'm now planning my next extreme cache event for June 2010. I'm running out of unexplored corners of Britain (Lowestoft really is going to have to wait) but a look at the map shows me there's a tidal island off the south coast of Jersey that's just about the most southerly point in Britain - It's certainly home to what claims to be Britain's most southerly cache. The only place beyond that is the Minquiers islands, which at low tide is 100 square miles of exposed rocks and high tide a small island (0.1 squ miles?) with some fishermen's shelters on it. Jersey Kayak Adventures have sea kayak trips out to it; not cheap though, and 12 miles from Jersey, not an easy paddle either.

I'll look into cheaper/easier ways to get to the more remote island, but if nothing suitable is found, the event may be on (just off!) Jersey towards the end of June next year instead. I'll list the event when I can, and post news here as and when I have it.

A hint of what the Minquiers have to offer...

*For how amazing, have a look at my gallery. In 2008 it was St Agnes in the Isles of Scilly (UK's south point) and in 2007 it was St Kilda (UK/Britain's west point- bar Rockall!)

That first pic is truly stunning - I wanna be there...!
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

zwei ormers Guest

The Minkies (as locals call it) is difficult to get to unless you own your own sea transport, and even then it's not straightforward due to a) lots of poorly charted drying/shallow areas and b) strong tides. Local charterboats might take you out there, and if you give me enough fuel money and good weather I could take you down in my boat from Guernsey.

Simply Paul Guest

That's a very tempting offer. I'll be in touch closer to the time if I get some reasonable numbers, to make it practical to do it that way. How many folks would it be safe for you to transport?

zwei ormers Guest

Only me plus three others - it'a a 21foot fast fisher, so would need perfect weather too. Realistically you should get in touch with Jersey cachers for a more sensible option.

Simply Paul Guest

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll see if I can find anyone on Jersey with a bigger boat. Failing that, I've seen a nice RIB on eBay, some rope and tractor inner-tubes...