Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: How do you choose which caches to hunt?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How do you choose which caches to hunt?

This is a spin-off from Happy Humphrey's topic regarding defining "quality" in relation to caches.

Scenario: Next month you're off to a new area for a long weekend with a friend/partner (and maybe a dog, just to add colour to this hypothetical scene.) You're not into caching for the numbers, so you'd like to do perhaps 6 - 8 caches each day to include the best of "the sort of caches you personally enjoy".

How do you come up with your short list of "caches that look like they'll be good"? Roughly, what steps do you go through?

For us (that means me, because I'd be the one searching and doing the homework) I may already know of one or two caches "by reputation", from either conversations with other cachers, or from forum posts. Then I'd do a search from the postcode of where we'd be staying (to about 15 miles radius) and literally skim down it, looking at the D/T ratings and reading the descriptions of those that are rated 3/3 and above, just to see what's there. While doing this, I'd also pick up on any amusing cache names - If something makes me laugh, or intrigues me in some way then the description will get read. I'd also look at each Puzzle/Mystery cache and make a quick assessment of whether I have a snowball's chance in hell of solving it. A few will be noted down for head-scratching sessions over the coming weeks.

So... I'd hope to end up with maybe 3 or 4 caches that look a bit special which would be the "must do" caches, then I'd be looking from them at the caches nearby them that could be done while we're near that spot.

What are your filtering/selecting procedures?

P.S. In case this makes it look as though I do all the work I'll just point out that MrB does the techie stuff of sorting out PQs, puts them into the magic arrow machines, charges about 3 dozen batteries for all the gadgets, makes sure that the Tom Tom goes ping or ding at the correct places, and does all the driving.
    Last edited by Mrs Blorenge; 30th July 2009 at 04:54 PM.