Thanks Thanks:  4

Thread: The Inexorable Rise of the Pointless Micro

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Inexorable Rise of the Pointless Micro

The thread on cache density was a useful reminder of how much simpler things used to be when I started caching.
    Using a GSAK export to Google Earth, it's interesting to see the not only the massive increase in caches around my area in Essex, but also the exponential growth of the micro relative to others.

Micros are shown as black containers on these annual GE screenshots:
    2004:

2005:

2006:

2007:

2008:

2009:

2008 is when the rot set in!

Yup, it was frequency of micros that encouraged me to abandon my brief spell of geocaching and stick to trig points instead.

When everyone changes to a digital camera, will this herald a drop in micro caches (ignoring the obvious - other small containers )

- lets hope so
    Happy Caching

Gazooks

- Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age.

I don't get your point. The number of non-micro caches also seems to have risen hugely, and if you aren't into micros you can easily ignore them and enjoy the rotting boxes of soggy tat instead.

The map doesn't seem to distinguish between "pointless" micros and "good" ones either.

Chances are that as an area gets packed with caches, the remaining hiding places are likely to be more suitable for micros. As time goes on, even the good spots for micros will be used up and new cache hiders will have to get creative (or put up with negative feedback!).

Cool

At least micros don't end up full of rusting, broken mildewed kids toys and completely pointless calling cards...

found a few calling cards stuffed in micros... always amazes me