Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Cycling & Geocaching

I am still very much a newcomer to the sport and I really do wish I had discovered it earlier. However, I enjoy cycling and it would be helpful when learning about caches if the owner or any subsequent finder could post information as to whether cycling to try and find it is feasible (and permissible). I'd welcome any comments. Cheers.

Omally Guest

Hi Lois,

Welcome! Hope you're ready to give up all your spare time now!! :lol:

You'll find that a lot of caches are within a fair walking distance, so it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to cycle out to your nearest caches and lock up your bike at the parking co-ords then go find the cache.
    I can think of a couple of caches that are designed with the cyclist in mind (albeit a very tortuous, evil, twisted mind! )
    Details here and here.

Thank you for the info, Mr O. What is spare time, please?! Working full time and doing my little bit helping my wife and son run our local pub leaves precious little of that. I have been following the forums with interest since joining a few days ago and some names do seem to appear more than others, don't they! What I was hoping to be able to do as much as possible is carry my bike on the car rack and park up and ride to the caches if I can. By the way, I have visited your web pages and, uncannily, your favourite literature very closely matches mine and I heartily endorse your remarks about Tolkein, the Lord of the Rings films (despite the Bombadil absence), Pratchett, Adams and Puckoon, which I read years ago. I have not read Robert Rankin (Ian Rankin, yes) or Richard Preston. Thanks again for your help.
    It only takes one drink to get me drunk, but I can never remember if it was the thirteenth or fourteenth.

Omally Guest

Spare time is what silly fools like me fritter away on finding lunch-boxes full of oddments, drinking too much ale and reading good books!
    Glad to hear you have good taste in literature, by the way. If you like Pratchett, you'll like Rankin. Really, you will.

Mr & Mrs Hedgehog Guest

The SP series in Berkshire is good (apart from SP6 which we didn't find and every one since has said was an easy find ) It was a nice cycle ride around the forest.

Team Paradise Guest

This cache is very suitable for cyclists, but it's a bit of a monster !

I see what you mean! Thank you for pointing it out, Team Paradise.
    It only takes one drink to get me drunk, but I can never remember if it was the thirteenth or fourteenth.

plaid-dragon Guest

Originally posted by Omally@Dec 2 2003, 11:56 PM

Glad to hear you have good taste in literature, by the way. If you like Pratchett, you'll like Rankin. Really, you will.
    Objection: untrue!

I like Pratchett, but I can't get along with Rankin. I started the Armageddon: The Musical series and actually put the first book down unfinished, which is very unlike me. That was sufficient to put me off trying again. Hmm, reading Lois' post, I must swing by your website and have a look, sounds like I may also have similar tastes in literature.

I thought this was amusing.... Sorry DT
    John
    Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

Paul G0TLG Guest

Originally posted by plaid-dragon+Dec 10 2003, 09:22 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (plaid-dragon @ Dec 10 2003, 09:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Omally@Dec 2 2003, 11:56 PM

If you like Pratchett, you&#39;ll like Rankin. Really, you will.
    Objection: untrue&#33;

I like Pratchett, but I can&#39;t get along with Rankin. [/b][/quote]
    I found I enjoyed Rankin more after reading the first couple, then I started to spot the running gags coming. You need to persevere, but it&#39;s worth it&#33;

Currently re-reading the Discworld series in order...so far I&#39;m about halfway through Soul Music.

Paul

Originally posted by Paul G0TLG@Dec 10 2003, 03:51 PM
    Currently re-reading the Discworld series in order...so far I&#39;m about halfway through Soul Music.

Paul
    Soul Music was one of his better ones I feel.
    While we&#39;re on the (way off topic) subject of Pratchett, does anyone have a good, hardback, first edition copy of &#39;The Colour of Magic&#39; or &#39;Light Fantastic&#39; that they&#39;d like to part with for a suitable number of blue drinking vouchers? They&#39;re the only two I haven&#39;t got
    John
    Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

Omally Guest

Originally posted by plaid-dragon@Dec 10 2003, 09:22 AM
    I like Pratchett, but I can&#39;t get along with Rankin. I started the Armageddon: The Musical series and actually put the first book down unfinished... <snip>
    Ahh, them&#39;s are a bit sluggish IMHO. Try The Antipope instead, it&#39;s delightful and you&#39;ll want to read the other books in the Brentford Trilogy (umm, 5 in total... )

Sorry, I know that was OT... it&#39;s all Lois&#39;s fault&#33;

Omally Guest

Originally posted by Pharisee@Dec 10 2003, 02:11 PM
    LOL&#33;&#33; :lol: Now that&#39;s what I call caching with style&#33;

Thanks a lot. I get the blame for everything.

Mr &amp; Mrs Hedgehog Guest

Originally posted by Pharisee@Dec 10 2003, 02:11 PM
    What worries me is that it mentions &#39;Suzy the Hedgehog TB&#39;. Is someone else making Hedgehog Travel Bugs... we should have copyrighted that

Omally Guest

Originally posted by Mr & Mrs Hedgehog+Dec 11 2003, 10:34 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mr & Mrs Hedgehog @ Dec 11 2003, 10:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Pharisee@Dec 10 2003, 02:11 PM
    What worries me is that it mentions &#39;Suzy the Hedgehog TB&#39;. Is someone else making Hedgehog Travel Bugs... we should have copyrighted that [/b][/quote]
    Copyrighted hedgehog TBs? Blimey... I&#39;d better start making me own travel-bugs and slap a copyright on drunken-bum TBs or super-soaker TBs&#33;

Mr &amp; Mrs Hedgehog Guest

Originally posted by Omally@Dec 11 2003, 12:40 PM
    Copyrighted hedgehog TBs? Blimey... I&#39;d better start making me own travel-bugs and slap a copyright on drunken-bum TBs or super-soaker TBs&#33;
    What sized cache would you need to place a super-soaker TB?

Omally Guest

Originally posted by Mr & Mrs Hedgehog+Dec 11 2003, 02:52 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mr & Mrs Hedgehog @ Dec 11 2003, 02:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Omally@Dec 11 2003, 12:40 PM
    What sized cache would you need to place a super-soaker TB? [/b][/quote]
    Oh, I&#39;m sure I could arrange something...