Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: GPS in luggage

sukisuix Guest

Question GPS in luggage

Hi. I am going on holiday in a couple of weeks for the first time in a couple of years. And I'm wanting to take my GPS. What I want to know can I take it in my hand luggage on the plane, without any worries

keehotee Guest

Each airline will have it's own rules on what you can and cannot carry on board the plane. You might be better off talking to them.....

Oh - and good luck

Had mine with me on a flight to Turkey last May, Thomas Cook, just made sure I wasn't seen with it in the window h34r:

sukisuix Guest

Quote Originally Posted by keehotee View Post
    Each airline will have it's own rules on what you can and cannot carry on board the plane. You might be better off talking to them.....

Oh - and good luck
    Thank you. I looked up easyjets info on baggage and looks like will be able to take. As it says that you must not include eletronic items in checked in luggage.

keehotee Guest

You might also need to check that you are legally able to use a GPS in your holiday destination....some places don't allow the use of personal civillian GPS (China for one).

Quote Originally Posted by keehotee View Post
    You might also need to check that you are legally able to use a GPS in your holiday destination....some places don't allow the use of personal civillian GPS (China for one).
    Really? Never had any trouble getting GPS enabled devices in and out of PRC. Or on and off dozens of flights. Maybe I was lucky!

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rutson View Post
    Really? Never had any trouble getting GPS enabled devices in and out of PRC. Or on and off dozens of flights. Maybe I was lucky!
    My bad - I was misinformed.... apparently it is illegal in China, Russia, Turkmenistan - and on an iPhone in a car in Australia - but nobody but the Australians enforce it anymore

I've often taken a GPS on flights as hand luggage and the others are right that you definitely shouldn't put it inside checked luggage.

I've used it during several flights but different airlines have different rules about this so you need to check / ask a stewardess. I once registered 595mph ground speed returning across the Atlantic with a strong tail wind.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

I've used mine on several Virgin Atlantic flights and once the cabin staff know what you're doing they seem quite happy. Indeed on one flight I showed them how fast we were going, where we were and what could be seen out of the window. They seemed fascinated and kept coming back for regular updates! The "service" I received on that flight was amazing.

I would reiterate that you definitely need to ask first though.

Yep....

I'm a regular visitor to the USA, and different airlines deffo have different rules.

Continental Airlines' stewardesses checked with the pilot, and he was fine with it - I registered 586mph over the atlantic on that trip.

British Airways were fine full stop.

KLM were fine from Schipol to DC, but Manchester to Schipol, they said I couldn't use it - I was upgraded into business class and they said I was sat too near the pilot's instruments!!!!

I always ask... and I'vew never been refused, providing it's switched off during take off and landing.

PS - i'd never pack it in the checked luggage - apart from the fact that you can't guarenteee it'll not get stolen, have you read the stats on how much baggage gets lost each year??? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by hazels View Post
    I always ask... and I'vew never been refused, providing it's switched off during take off and landing.
    Quite right, however on one trip I "forgot" and the subsequent trip, complete with taxiing around Heathrow, accelerating along the runway and climbing to cruising altitude, downloaded into Memory Map made fascinating viewing. h34r:

Default GPS and airlines

I'd never put my GPS in the hold on any airline... It's far too interesting to "see what's happening" on the gpsr!!

Have a mooch here for airlines that don't mind their use in flight....

http://gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm

Just make sure that it is "off" when taking off and landing.. or use the "oops, I thought it was off..." line when you get caught!!!!

Rampton Broadmoore Esq.

took mine to Berlin last weekend, no problems in having it in my cabin baggage!

Simply Paul Guest

I tend to take my etrex abroad with me too, if only to waypoint my hotel in case my sense of direction abandons me while sightseeing. I always ask if it's ok to use it once we're up and cruising, and it's not yet been a problem (mostly EasyJet) - According to the memory, I 'peaked' at 608mph on the way to Budapest a couple of years ago, which at altitude was knocking on the door of supersonic. I'm off to Amsterdam next, so we'll see what I can clock-up there