Thanks Thanks:  2

Thread: POI file for Trig Points

Default POI file for Trig Points

Updated to include details of stonebuilt pillars.

This will probably be the last update for quite a while, barring some unexpected discovery. I've run out of things to add to it!

Requests welcome.
    Last edited by agentmancuso; 9th September 2009 at 10:26 PM.

Sagina nivalis Guest

Thanks Bernie. Yes it's about time someone found / refound a few pillars.

Trig Points POI file updated today to include some recent status changes & Rob's discoveries in the Hebrides.

Updated today to include all 40 Project Emily trigs, plus a couple more stations in the Hebrides & a few status changes.

Sagina nivalis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by agentmancuso View Post
    Trig Points POI file updated today to include some recent status changes & Rob's discoveries in the Hebrides.
    Thanks Bernie. I'll try it out later - when the rain stops

Finding new trigs via the OS trig archive (as with my Kilda exercise) seems a bit longwinded currently. Is it possible to download the whole database and be done with it? Best I can see is to download as spreadsheet, one LR at a time, which is still 204 sheets, but might be a job for a rainy day (!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sagina nivalis View Post
    Is it possible to download the whole database and be done with it? Best I can see is to download as spreadsheet, one LR at a time, which is still 204 sheets, but might be a job for a rainy day (!)
    The problem with that approach is that it only downloads one screen's worth at a time - i.e each page comes as a separate .xls, not each LR. Or at least it did last time I tried. I'll have another look.

Sagina nivalis Guest

(from the St Kilda trigs thread)

the end result would be (more or less? or exactly?) the OSDB Trig Archive now available in two formats at trigonomy.
    I'd forgotten about that! All 31,467 of em (I wonder if it has changed at all since 2007).

That would seem to fit the bill. Another POI file in the making?

Incidentally, I couldn't find Castor FBM Aux 1 on the Passive DB nor the Trig archive. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by Sagina nivalis; 1st November 2009 at 12:07 PM.

I'd forgotten about that! All 31,467 of em (I wonder if it has changed at all since 2007).

That would seem to fit the bill. Another POI file in the making?
    I did consider it for a while, but have resolved to hold firm against temptation. I had a good look at LR64 (my homesheet) and decided that as the vast majority were either destroyed or just to ugly to attempt (buried blocks, factory roofs, that sort of thing) it would not be worth the trouble.

On the other hand, I am quite happy to add certain defined areas like St Kilda or whatever where there is any likelihood that anyone will try to find the stations.

Incidentally, I couldn't find Castor FBM Aux 1 on the Passive DB nor the Trig archive. Am I missing something?
    Here it is. The problem is probably that it appears under Passive Station number H1TL1398, rather than the H2TL1399 quoted on T:UK.

The explanation for for this (and other similar) discrepancies was provided by someone a while back - Rod S, or Ian Wilson probably. It goes roughly thus: the H2 originally related to a station being the second passive within the Km square. But sometimes, though very close to an earlier passive, the second station was actually in a different square. At some point all the stations to which this applied were renumbered as H1 in the square they were actually situated in. But as is the way with these things the old labels stubbornly refused to wither & die as intended, and have been perpetuated by the T:UK database picking up the old labels.

Sagina nivalis Guest

I did consider it for a while, but have resolved to hold firm against temptation. I had a good look at LR64 (my homesheet) and decided that as the vast majority were either destroyed or just to ugly to attempt (buried blocks, factory roofs, that sort of thing) it would not be worth the trouble.

On the other hand, I am quite happy to add certain defined areas like St Kilda or whatever where there is any likelihood that anyone will try to find the stations.
    Might be better (and easier?) to simply do a new POI of the whole DB rather than clutter up the main one with all sorts of stuff which is of limited interest for the reasons you describe. I have to say I'm no great fan of rivets etc, except maybe local to home (LR142).

Here it is.
    But no sketch apparently! No matter, it's been dug and is now dimensioned on T:UK, so should be findable in future.

Anyway, how come it doesn't come up in a search for Passives within 5km of the relevant GR i.e. TL130980? It seems to be in limbo.

RodS Guest

Here it is. The problem is probably that it appears under Passive Station number H1TL1398, rather than the H2TL1399 quoted on T:UK.

The explanation for for this (and other similar) discrepancies was provided by someone a while back - Rod S
    Indeed it was me.

It goes roughly thus: the H2 originally related to a station being the second passive within the Km square. But sometimes, though very close to an earlier passive, the second station was actually in a different square. At some point all the stations to which this applied were renumbered as H1 in the square they were actually situated in. But as is the way with these things the old labels stubbornly refused to wither & die as intended, and have been perpetuated by the T:UK database picking up the old labels.
    But the sketch for Castor FBM Aux 1 got left behind at http://gps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/stat...f/H2TL1399.gif

Sagina nivalis Guest

Thanks Rod. I've added the sketch link to the log. I never seem to get quite the same dimensions as OS sketches even when I use a tape!

RodS Guest

Thanks Rod. I've added the sketch link to the log. I never seem to get quite the same dimensions as OS sketches even when I use a tape!
    On this sketch, as on many others, dimensions are given from road signs, which have a habit of moving. Fence posts are not much more reliable!

Sagina nivalis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RodS View Post
    On this sketch, as on many others, dimensions are given from road signs, which have a habit of moving. Fence posts are not much more reliable!
    Ditch-end and road edge should stay put though?

Ditch-end and road edge should stay put though?
    This ditch end didn't. So much undergrowth that in effect the ground surface had shifted a good few inches.

Sagina nivalis Guest

This ditch end didn't. So much undergrowth that in effect the ground surface had shifted a good few inches.
    Congrats for finding - also for your Donalds completion

Congrats for finding - also for your Donalds completion
    It only took 15 years. I'm pretty sure some people have done it in that number of days:lol:

Sagina nivalis Guest

I'm pretty sure some people have done it in that number of days:lol:
    Ronald Turnbull took 9 days

Ronald Turnbull took 9 days
    That's who I had in mind. I was rereading bits of his book on bivvy bags just the other day - one of the funniest hill books I've ever come across.

Sagina nivalis Guest

Thanks for the recommendation .. and the gallimaufry (word of the day!). Anyway, way off topic ... my own topic :lol:

Trig Points POI file updated with latest amendments & discoveries.

Merry Christmas to everyone! :cheers:

Bernie

Trig Points POI file updated to include a few newly identified hydrographic pillars near Gairloch, plus usual status udates etc.

The Trig Points POI File has been updated with a few new stations and some further access issues.

Bernie

Trigs POI file updated today with a few more stations and the latest access developments.

The Trigs POI file has been replaced today. There has been a significant change in the way it's produced, as it is now extracted from a GSAK database, rather than existing as a 'stand alone' .csv file. This will make future updates much easier - and less tedious - to produce. Much of the data itself has been updated, removing a number of minor errors and adding more detail and a few more stations.

Please let me know of any errors discovered in the field.

Regards,

Bernie

It's come up in the other place that the .gpx download option from Poifriend is not much use. I recommend sticking to the appropriate branded POI file, or if anyone really wants the full GSAK trig experience, PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy of my complete database.

Bernie

Trigs POI file updated today, now includes 7678 trig stations.

Trigs POI file updated today, now contains 7694 entries. There are a few new non-pillar trig stations, but most changes relate to Active Stations, many of which have had their details updated.

Many thanks to Brian Westlake (Brisey) for his help discovering 14 new Active Stations.

Regards,

Bernie

Trigs POI file updated now, total now 7700 trigs.

Regards,

Bernie

There will be an update to this shortly, once I've received & processed GRP's end-of-year file.

The Trigs POI file has been updated today.

There are a few of the usual updates and improvements to data, but the most significant change is the inclusion of all known Irish trigpoints, bringing the total up to 8583 trigs.

Regards,

Bernie

Forgot to say, if any GSAK users want the full database, PM me with an email address & I'll send you a copy.

The Trigs POI file has been updated today.

Total number of trigs now 8599

Bernie

Sagina nivalis Guest

Any chance of including the FB no in the title field, Bernie? That would make it searchable by number in the satnav. I quite often know the Fb no but not the OS name of a trig I'm looking for. I imagine you'll be updating a couple of Emilys soon anyway;-) And note that Eastcombe is allegedly Toppled or moved....
    TVM - Rob

That's a possibility alright, I can't think of any reason why not off the top of my head, all it needs is a bit of excel shuffling. The Project Emily stuff is all sitting in my intray, waiting to be sorted on GSAK. Work is a bit mental right now, but I should get round to it in the next week or so.

(I'd missed Eastcombe too, so thanks for pointing it out).

Sagina nivalis Guest

(I'd missed Eastcombe too, so thanks for pointing it out).
    As have we all

I've noticed that the POIfriend site I use for these files is closing down at the end of the month, so if anyone has still to update to the latest version they'd be advised to do so sharpish.

Not quite sure what I'll do subsequently, but it might just be a case of running exports from GSAK as & when people request them.