Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Group Participation

Kelgrath Guest

Having been at this for a few days now, it strikes me that Geocaching looks like a wonderful activity for youth groups.

Personally, I am very active with the Air Cadets (age range 13-20) and think that this would be perfect for my cadets. As I see it, the two sides to the sport give us plenty to play with:
    1) Finding caches. This will build on some of the skills we teach them anyway - map work, expedition planning, (teamwork&#33 etc. as well as being something fun and a bit different. We can potentially plan entire weekends away finding caches!
    2) Maintaining a cache as a project. Whilst this won't take hours at a time, it will require constant "nibbling" - a few minutes, several times a week.

Has anyone run it as a group activity before? Do you have any tips? Are there any other ATC squadrons (or other youth organisations - army cadets, scouts, whatever) who participate? What problems have been found?

THE BRAMBLERS Guest

Hi Kelgrath and welcome to the sport.

There are several schools and scout groups about that have used geocaching to further their learning.

At the school where I work we have set up a cache that is within walking distance so that the children can easily pop along and read the logs etc. We are also tracking some travel bugs that were released by Hampshire County Council especially for schools.

The pupils now keep track by plotting positions on maps, learning about the cultures and the land that the travel bugs visit.

We have set up an after school club that is being run by the deputy head, and they will be visiting some of the more local caches in our area.

As these are only primary school children, we don't go into too much technical detail but it certainly gives them a good grounding and a general understanding that can be built upon.

The other expert on this is Sarah, but you might like to browse the education forum on Geocaching.com which has some good information and resources.

We visited a cache set by a high school group near Washington DC, judging by the logs and cache page it was very successful.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

Paul G0TLG Guest

And don't forget Blitzy, who has organised caching sessions for Scouts. Whee in the country are you, Kelgrath? Would you be in reach of the Southern cache get-together on 25th january? There will be loads of people there who will give you good advice.

All the best

Paul

Kelgrath Guest

Sadly, I'm at the wrong end of the country. Harrogate / Leeds / York is more my area.

bbqbetty Guest

Originally posted by Paul G0TLG@Jan 2 2004, 09:45 PM
    And don't forget Blitzy, who has organised caching sessions for Scouts. Whee in the country are you, Kelgrath? Would you be in reach of the Southern cache get-together on 25th january? There will be loads of people there who will give you good advice.

All the best

Paul
    Glad to hear lots of poeple are going to be there. No one's posted on the event page yet so I was wondering...

Looking forward to being there too!

paul.blitz Guest

No real need to post on the cache page... just turn up.

Lunch for us will be after about 2-00 or 2-30... the pub kitchen will feed its "normal" lunchers first, and is then staying open to feed us.

We'll be in the "public".... if the weather is nice (ie not raining) then we can venture into the garden, where there is a small play area.

Oh, and don't forget to buy your Secret Santa's.... wrap it up, and we'll have 3 boxes: Kids, Adults and Either. Work on the idea of bringing as many as you want to receive... or maybe even an extra one! Typically a couple of quid, but certainly no more than a fiver.

paul