Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Cache lifespan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BugznElm'r Guest

Hi all!

I thought it would be interesting to have a chat about what others think of what the lifespan of a cache should be. I'm thinking specifically about impact to the area surrounding and general decay/loss of interest in a cache.

Do you think that there is any validity in the idea that a cache should be moved (or removed) after a period of time (say 12 - 18 months) even if the move is just 100 m or so, or do you just leave them until they get missing?

The reason I ask is that I'm finding that one of out caches is developing a bit of a "motorway" to it ... nothing significant but just more than the others.

Any ideas/suggestions/tips/thoughts are welcome!

Thanks!

Horses for courses - in the circumstances described where there is too much access to a particular spot then yes a move or removal is desirable, but if there is no environmental disturbance and the cache is remaining in good condition then I see no reason why it should not remain in position indefinitely.
    Enjoy your caching!

Summerlightning Guest

Hello!
    I hope you don't mind me sticking my oar in but I concur with Jstead
    I am very new to this game so every cache is a new challenge.
    New people join our happy band almost daily so I see nothing wrong with leaving a cache if it is still in good condition.
    I notice that many caches seem to have a steady stream of visits for the first few months than they may lay undisturbed for some time before their next opening.
    Isn't part of the fun finding something that non-cachers aren't aware of but was right under their nose?

Just my tuppeneth FWIW
    SL

bbqbetty Guest

what are the rules on logging finds that you've already found? some people say "feel free to log this cache again" after they've moved/replaced it, but isn't logging twice frowned upon generally?

Originally posted by bbqbetty@Jan 12 2004, 08:20 PM
    what are the rules on logging finds that you've already found? some people say "feel free to log this cache again" after they've moved/replaced it, but isn't logging twice frowned upon generally?
    Generally, yes, posting a 'found' log on a cache should only be done once. If you go back to a cache you've already found, for example to drop off a travel bug, you should post a 'note' not a 'found'. But if a cache is moved to a new position, and the owner feels that finding it there is a significantly different experience to finding it in its old position, then they'll invite people who've found it before to go back then log it as a find again.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Kouros Guest

My personal opinion reflects that of Jstead's - Sometime it's worth moving a cache on after a set time, sometimes it isn't.

Someitmes you might get a little wear and tear in an area, which is worth avoiding - but this can be easily remedied in many cases by simply moving the cache a little (but not so much as to create a vastly different experience).

For some caches, there is only a limited amount of interest - some of the harder ones will often get a lot of interest from the hardcore cachers straight-off, but dip in poularity immediately after.

Personally, I think that if a cache is visited relatively regularly, it's worth keeping out there.