Bit of a long story but here goes. On 5th september, my car was damaged in a silly accident which was not my fault. Telephoned my insurance company to report the accident and started a claim against the other party. As my car is 14 years old was quite prepared to have it "written off". The engineer came to assess the damage and last Thursday I received a letter with an acceptable offer, but have not received the cheque yet). My car is now "total loss Category C", but with the money from the insurance I can repair it and keep it on the road, (as cannot afford a newer car). I understand that it will be flagged VIC at the DVLA. But what is confusing me is 1 - if I am keeping the car do I have to have pay the £36.00 to have the Vehicle Identity Check, and 2. at what point do I have to inform my insurance company, and do I inform my broker or the underwriter. All the information on the internet does seem to be confusing.

I know that geocachers have a wide knowledge so can some one please help this confused driver, as I only want to do the right thing and be on the road driving legally.

Thanks