Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: The GAGB forum has a new home!

paul.blitz Guest

With many thanks to Tim and to Teasel, the data from the Tim-hosted forum was exported, and then imported / updated into the GAGB-hosted server.

Initial checks show that the forums and user data have imported well, and the only problem *I* have seen so far is that smilies on old messages may not be there.

If you find any problems with these forums, please let us know in this thread!

Thanks!

Paul Blitz

Thanks, everyone! It all looks good to me. I don't see any missing smilies though, even in ancient posts - perhaps I just haven't looked at the right (wrong?) ones.

Edited for grammar.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

paul.blitz Guest

Originally posted by Bill D (wwh)@Jan 29 2004, 08:48 PM
    I don't see any missing smilies though, even in ancient posts - perhaps I just haven't looked at the right (wrong?) ones.
    Either it was an error here on my PC, or it got fixed... but I too can now see the smilies ok!

Paul

Chris n Maria Guest

Oh, I've just noticed its moved. Well done everyone involved.

A big thanks also to the founding members for sticking true to their promise to hand over control to an elected comittee. Let hope your baby can stand on its own two feet.

Big thanks to T&J for hosting GAGB up until now. It is apreciated.

Chris

seifer Guest

On this forum, now that we're not draining Tim's bandwidth, are we allowed avatars?

Teasel Guest

Yes, there are a number of pre-installed avatars, or you can upload your own. Click on <My Controls>, then click <Edit Avatar Settings>, then follow your nose.

Incidentally, talking of bandwidth, there are various settings under <Board Settings> which let you switch avatars, smileys etc on and off, and choose how many messages you see per page. So you can choose your own compromise between a nicer "look and feel" and a faster download speed.

Teasel Guest

If you feel the need, you can also upload images. Eg here&#39;s where I live B) Please keep the size down though (both file size and photo dimensions), or we&#39;ll have to switch on the thumbnail option (or disable images completely).

BugznElm&#39;r Guest

Everything seems to work just fine ... looks like a good transition. Super job folks&#33;

Server seems nice and fast too considering it has avatars now.

Great work&#33;

BugznElm&#39;r Guest

Originally posted by Teasel@Jan 30 2004, 07:45 PM
    If you feel the need, you can also upload images. Eg here&#39;s where I live B) Please keep the size down though (both file size and photo dimensions), or we&#39;ll have to switch on the thumbnail option (or disable images completely).
    One advantage of using the thumbnail option is that is prevents irregular post width in the forum and takes away the need to scroll sideways (not that that&#39;s a problem on 1600 x 1200 ).

The thumbnail option is also kinder on dialup users too.