Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: How dedicated(?) are you?

Lightbulb How dedicated(?) are you?

OK how much of a dedicated cacher are you?
    Did you go out caching in all the dreadful weather?
    We enjoy caching as a hobby but not enough to go out and hunt in this kind of weather. But then again we did go and hide a series on Saturday.

I were set to go but the wife and kids insisted that it was daft and would be much better if I fixed the lock on the bathroom door!!!

Clearly no sense of the right priorities... :
    A cache a day ..

keehotee Guest

If I'm planning on going out, I'll go out - regardless of the weather. I've built up enough layers of one sort or another over the years to deal with (almost) anything British weather can throw at us.

Less likely to go out on the spur of the moment if the weather's too bad though....

nobbynobbs Guest

If it's just me? and I've planned the trip, then I go. But too often there's a small person's opinion to take into account Well I do love her I suppose.

Went out for a bit on Friday but got soaked so gave up before I got as far as finding anything. Caching is no fun in wind and/or rain.

We spent yesterday morning/early afternoon staring at the rain and wind, thinking, "There's no way we're going to be FlashMobbing in Cardiff in this."

By 4 o'clock the rain had just about stopped, the wind had dropped, so we thought we'd give it a go...

Luckily the weather continued to improve and the FM was a success!

But, no, we would not have been dedicated enough to attend in rain and wind.

if it rains while i'm out - so be it, but if its pouring down before I set off I tend to shy away.

But fortunately its only happened once. :socool:
    Happy Caching

Gazooks

- Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age.

Harry the furry squid Guest

I get *more* geocaching done in wet weather . . . it's too wet to go climbing!

molfrew-mosstoad Guest

If I have planned to go with friends we go regardless of the weather (we have only had 1 really bad soaking in 2 years) but if the kids are involved we tend to be fine weather cachers only

keehotee Guest

It's pouring with rain right now.
    And we're going out caching

The problem with caching in the rain is getting the caches wet inside. I've found a few which have been very wet inside even though they were dry on the outside and appeared to be waterproof - this can only happen if they've been found and opened in the rain.
    I have done a couple in towns in rain, and have used an umbrella to protect the cache and log while I signed it. Sadly not all cachers are as careful.

If we are going out caching and it looks like it is going to rain we take a 18" square clear plastic bag, we can then open the box, sign the log, do any swaps we want and the close the box ans all done with the box and it's conetents in the 'dry' confines of the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDick&Vick View Post
    If we are going out caching and it looks like it is going to rain we take a 18" square clear plastic bag, we can then open the box, sign the log, do any swaps we want and the close the box ans all done with the box and it's conetents in the 'dry' confines of the bag.
    pound shop umbrella's for us, we carry two, one to use, and one to leave behind if there is space.

If no rain, we could leave both, space provided.

Caching in the rain is much better - fewer muggles about, less of a race for FTF and no sunburn
    I mean what else is there to do on a day off in winter?