Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Minimum distance?

Default Minimum distance?

Is there a minimum distance between caches, and if so what is it?

Yes there is, IIRC it's one tenth of a mile, i.e. 176 feet.

Yup there most certainly is and I am sure that it is .1 of a mile.
    <Quote from GC guidline>
    Cache Saturation

Cache containers and physical stages should generally be separated by a minimum of 0.1 miles (528 feet or 161 m). A physical stage is defined as any stage that contains a physical element placed by the geocache owner, such as a tag with the next set of coordinates or a container. Non-physical caches or stages including reference points, trailhead/parking coordinates and question to answer waypoints are exempt from this guideline.

<end of quote>

Thanks - 176 yards then! (I don't "get" metres) I thought I'd read it somewhere but couldn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by martybartfast View Post
    Yes there is, IIRC it's one tenth of a mile, i.e. 176 feet.

I meant 176 yards, my excuse is I'm going metric after too many years...

0.1 mile, 176 yards or 528ft....

There are exceptions though, you can have 2 caches closer than that when there is some obstacle such as a river etc in the way that would mean that in reality they are far more than 528 feet away...

Now if only GC.Com would realise that caches in Liverpool "5 miles" away are actually a 40 minute journey of about 25 miles in reality!!!!
    Now doing small hills!
    Still blonde under the hair dye ;-)

I know what you mean - trouble is GPS measures distance as the crow flies, not along the roads and footpaths, and only in 2 dimensions - an 0.4 mile walk to a cache can sometimes be twice that in hilly areas.

If there's a cache at the bottom of a 200ft cliff and you want to put yours at the top

OR

there's a cache one side of a wide river, no convenient bridge across and you'd like to put yours 50yds away on the other bank

THEN

ask your local reviewer if he/she would consider making an exception to the proximity guideline. (Include photographs)

Sometimes, in some cases, such guidelines can be flexible.

nobbynobbs Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    If there's a cache at the bottom of a 200ft cliff and you want to put yours at the top

OR

there's a cache one side of a wide river, no convenient bridge across and you'd like to put yours 50yds away on the other bank

THEN

ask your local reviewer if he/she would consider making an exception to the proximity guideline. (Include photographs) and some vouchers for the local hostelry :cheers: LOL

Sometimes, in some cases, such guidelines can be flexible.