Thanks Thanks:  6

Thread: More censorship over at GC?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default More censorship over at GC?

I was glancing at the UK forum the other day and spotted an apparently innocent enquiry from a new cacher about that most heinous of all subjects - "Charity". They were asking if anyone was getting involved in this week's Children in need.

I just went and had another look and can't now find the thread. I was half expecting to find it locked with an explanation from TPTB but it's gone completely. Was it censored? If so, it seems a bit harsh, a bit like certain regimes' attempts to airbrush people out of history. Or maybe I'm just being a GOG (as usual )

Basically i think the americans dont get these charity days in the UK. The idea of a whole country getting together (or hiding in the dark from CHUGGERS) for one cause does not seem to register.

Comic relief, sport relief, children in need are national events over here id love to know if there is anything near this in the USA.

As an aside it is a shame that Mark the Cats early work promoting geocaching together with children in need can just be deleted rather than closed or locked.

Dissapointed but not surprised.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

For those that dont know and i certainly did not until i read some history.

Mark the Cat's profile with its obituary written rather well by SlytherinAlex ?? i think

https://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=61390

Also here are links to threads on GC all about CIN which feature thecat rather heavily.

https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/in...opic=59747&hl=

https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/in...topic=40261&hl=

https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/in...topic=59109&hl=

https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/in...topic=39879&hl=
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Mark had caches all round the country which were all adopted by locals. Unfortunately when they were adopted they were moved from his profile, so I've created a bookmark list of all his caches which includes his Children In Need (CIN) event caches.

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=ff20c7bc-5365-426f-8f63-1fb2328e9388

I have good memories of the CIN fox hunt in 2003 after I'd had a successful GAGB negotiation meeting with the Forestry Commission Rangers in the New Forest. I came out of the meeting to check his location and discovered he'd passed me in Lyndhurst and traveled all the way to Bournemouth. He very kindly waited for me whilst I made a brisk trip to meet him and make my donation.

Lovely bloke.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

I caught up with him on 2 occasions, once outside Staines and once when he waited for me in a lay-bye near Bagshot.

I think that was the year he broke down shortly afterwards in Guildford.

I also remember his stall at the Farley Mount Geocaching day.

A pity that TPTB cannot accept that events such as these do not promote an "agenda" but are a sincere attempt to help others.

I also remember - with both anger and humour - the Tsunami fiasco, and remember with pride the great success of the appeal for the men of the Norfolk RNLI at, I think Happisburgh Lighthouse, that a different Mark and his wife organised which crept under the radar!

What a pity GSP, as ever, cannot accept that different cultures have different attitudes to certain things .

sTeamTraen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by markandlynn View Post
    Basically i think the americans dont get these charity days in the UK. The idea of a whole country getting together (or hiding in the dark from CHUGGERS) for one cause does not seem to register.
    Comic relief, sport relief, children in need are national events over here id love to know if there is anything near this in the USA.
    Actually, the idea of a telethon with its related spin-off events is "as American as apple pie": see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telethon

And no, Americans can't publicise their Telethon-related activities on GC.com either.

Quote Originally Posted by sTeamTraen View Post
    And no, Americans can't publicise their Telethon-related activities on GC.com either.
    No, anything that doesn't result in money being raised for Groundspeak Inc. directly or indirectly is stamped on.

There was a time when Geocachers could chat about all sorts of things that happened to interest them over there. That's long gone. . We have to recognise that it's changed from being a place where people who shared a common interest could (fairly) freely indulge in friendly banter into a (fairly) tightly controlled discussion on the activities of Groundspeak Inc.

Maybe that's why so many "old timers" never go there any more.

nobbynobbs Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Hornet View Post
    No, anything that doesn't result in money being raised for Groundspeak Inc. directly or indirectly is stamped on.

There was a time when Geocachers could chat about all sorts of things that happened to interest them over there. That's long gone. . We have to recognise that it's changed from being a place where people who shared a common interest could (fairly) freely indulge in friendly banter into a (fairly) tightly controlled discussion on the activities of Groundspeak Inc.

Maybe that's why so many "old timers" never go there any more.
    shame that people don't make use of what's available for them based in this country then h34r: what do we need to do to get more people using these forums?

UK geocachers now have a range of local forums they use to "(fairly) freely indulge in friendly banter". I dip into at least four of them regularly as well as this one.

The advantage of the regional forums is that they are open for localised gepcaching chit-chat and off-topic stuff.

The disadvantage of the regional forums is that they fragment the community and you have to check in several different places (if you have the time / can be bothered.)

Quote Originally Posted by nobbynobbs View Post
    what do we need to do to get more people using these forums?
    I'm not sure how to achieve this, but for what its worth, I find this forum to be very negative, with far too many topics being started or hijacked by people with an axe (often the same tired old axe) to grind against GS' polices and guidlines.

As someone who only discovered caching in 2007, I find the constant harking back to the nirvana of caching in 'the good old days' and the resultant implicit 'them and us' perception of this forum decidedly off-putting.

This topic was a good example. The OP decided to to complain (again) about the GS Forum and the GS attitude to charities (again) - que the soft focus, the Hovis music and the 'old timers' having a nice little trip down memory lane. Great for them, but it does nothing at all for me or, I'd imagine, the vast numbers of GB cachers who have started in the last 3 years.

For these reasons, I'll only check on this forum once or twice a week which, sadly, is often more than sufficient to catch up with goings on here .

It could of course have been very different if the OP had decided to make a more positive initial post; something like, I don't know, "I'm doing a sponsored cache marathon" or "who's willing to help me or sponsor me in a TB relay race" for [enter the charity of your choicce] - You know the kind of thing. Something that celebrated and made use of the fact that this is a different forum to the GS one rather than moaned about the GS one...

Apologies for being somewhat rambling but I've got a lousy cold/flu thing going on and its hard to line the thoughts up neatly this morning.

Apologies for any insults, hurt caused, stepped on toes etc. but the question was asked.

Mike

nobbynobbs Guest

So point them over here and say that they can discuss charity to their hearts content....

Quote Originally Posted by nobbynobbs View Post
    So point them over here and say that they can discuss charity to their hearts content....
    Exactly!

And just to add.........wouldn't it be a good idea for cachers to discuss and maybe organize charity related events here. I think it's safe to say that GSP are taking an ever increasing hard line on anything charity related. Organize it here........list the caches over there (just don't mention the C word).
    I'm just going outside, and may be some time!

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk