Thanks Thanks:  4

Thread: Changes to Earthcache Submittal Procedure

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Changes to Earthcache Submittal Procedure

I have just come across a thread in the GC.com Earthcache forum that describes changes that are about to come into force governing the creation of Earthcaches.

(The thread is at https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/in...owtopic=236625)

Basically, Earthcaches will need to be submitted to GC.com after the 30th of November, and meet with all the normal cache rules, including proximity to any other caches, and being near where you live. There is already a debate in progress over whether this is good or bad, but it seems to be a done deal!

Chris
    Chris of Matthew 7:7 Too

I can sort of understand proximity as it appears to be the only type of cache that did not fall under that rule.
    Last edited by gazooks; 28th November 2009 at 10:29 PM.
    Happy Caching

Gazooks

- Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age.

nobbynobbs Guest

I can understand the proximity as well, I've got an earth cache and had someone place another cache almost ontop of it!

And the distance from home one is not so bad either, I know of some where the owner almost certainly has never visited the area and just copied and pasted the details from other peoples Earthcaches that got archived the last time the rules changed.

The Earthcache guidelines for submittal were updated on 1st January 2011

7. Requests for photographs must be optional. Exceptions to this guideline will only be considered if the requested photograph is related to an Earth Science logging activity such as recording a phenomenon.

This particular guidelines was updated on 1 January 2011. All EarthCaches must conform to this guideline as photo requests are considered "additional logging requirements" (ALRs) and follow the guidelines set forth by Geocaching.com.
    Existing EarthCaches that do not meet this guideline must be updated to comply.
    Cache owners may not delete the cacher's log based solely on optional tasks.

There is also a thread in the Groundspeak forums about it.
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)

nobbynobbs Guest

I said it there and I'll say it here.

Ill conceived and ultimately likely to damage the reputation of earthcaches. Let the armchair logging begin....