Thanks Thanks:  6

Thread: Please be gentle, I'm new to all this...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Buckleberry Guest

Default Please be gentle, I'm new to all this...

Hi there! As the title suggests, I'm new to this site & geocaching and am still actually awaiting the arrival of my SatMap A10+ but thought I'd check out a few sites first. This seems like the place to be.

Originally, I wanted a GPS unit to use when I go mountain biking but became intrigued by geocaching after seeing an article in a magazine a few months ago. I live in Wickford, Essex and wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of any locations that are used in the County. I do a lot of mountain biking at Epping, Danbury (nr. Chelmsford), Langdon Hills, Warley and Thorndon Country Parks so this is where I'm most interested in heading out.

I haven't been able to find much online about any specific geocaching in Essex and would be grateful if anyone could give me a few pointers on where to go and, what to expect..!

Many thanks.

nobbynobbs Guest

Welcome to the hobby.

The main listing site is www.geocaching.com free to register. then go and do a search for your nearest cache using your post code.

for your first couple I'd try a simple terrain 1* and difficulty again 1* with a large container.

At the same time have a search for any event caches happening near to you. basically meeting up with other cachers for a drink and chat and probably a cache or two.

have a look and see if it makes sense. then when you come up with any problems just ask away.

Welcome! There is a geocaching event in Chelmsford on the 13th January. Great opportunity to meet your local cachers and find out more about this strange hobby of ours!

Chris (MrB)

A very warm welcome to this addictive hobby
    Quote Originally Posted by nobbynobbs View Post
    Welcome to the hobby.

The main listing site is www.geocaching.com free to register. then go and do a search for your nearest cache using your post code.
    As Nobbynobs says GC is the biggest site but you might also check out Opencaching UK which is UK based. It is quite new and small but hopefully it will grow in time to provide a friendly alternative for UK cachers. Another alternative is Terracaching which like Geocaching.com is US based but contains a number of caches in the UK.

Coming to the GAGB was a good move as they support UK cachers whichever listing site you use. Whatever you do, remember it's about having FUN

Buckleberry Guest

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I have registered at geocaching.com (basic only) so will hopefully be searching soon.

@Skibums - thanks for the Wickford tip off. Probably best to start locally. Initially, the postcode search came back blank but typing in Wickford brought up loads of caches. I might make your Wick Country Park my first try!

So, thanks again for all the help and if you see someone looking lost on a silver Trek Fuel EX9 mountain bike and scrabbling about in the undergrowth, it'll be me!

Buckleberry Guest

Oh, just another thought - what sort of things/value do most people put in/take out of the caches? I'm guessing nothing expensive/offensive/dangerous/illegal...?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckleberry View Post
    Oh, just another thought - what sort of things/value do most people put in/take out of the caches? I'm guessing nothing expensive/offensive/dangerous/illegal...?!!
    From GAGB's guidelines:

Only items that would be deemed safe and acceptable for an unaccompanied child to find should be placed in a cache.

No items of food or drink of any kind should be placed in the cache.

You'll find our guidelines here.

Generally, it's just common sense. Nothing dangerous or illegal, and nothing strong-smelling that could draw animals to the cache.

Most items placed in caches aren't high value, but they should be decent quality. If you've got a Poundland or something similar near you that could be a good source. Generally children are more likely to trade than adults.

One exception is that some cachers place one higher value item in a new cache as a reward for the first finder.

And if you're trading items yourself, remember the golden rule: trade even or trade up. In other words if you take something, leave something of equal or greater value. The contents of all too many caches quickly deteriorate when a decent item is taken, and nothing, or tat, is left to replace itl But of course one person's tat can be another's treasure, so as I said earlier, it's mainly just down to common sense.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

skibums (uk) Guest

hey BB

welcome to caching....there are loads of caches in Wickford its self to break yourself in gently.

Come along to the meet in Chelmsford and meet a few local cachers (we don't bite).

Hadleigh Castle has loads of quality caches as does Thorndon Country Park. Essex Country Parks are currently planning on expanding the number of caches in their parks so keep your eyes peeled, this will include the flitch way and Weald country park.

Check out GC.com for all your local caches.

we are in Wickford to although we cache on foot not by bike. Good luck. Shout if you need any help
    Last edited by Bill D (wwh); 30th December 2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Post was trapped as spam - I've no idea why!

skibums (uk) Guest

Default .

So have you been out yet??

Waiting to read about your first exeprience.

Are registered on GC.com as Buckleberry as well.

Remember you don't have to trade - TNLN (took nothing, left nothing).

If you find trackable items in caches (Geocoins and Travel Bugs) these are not for you to keep, they are left by their owners to travel from cache to cache. You will find unique code on each item which enables the owner to track their travels. If you pick one up make sure to 'retrieve' it on GC.com and when you place it in another cache 'drop it off'
    Last edited by Bill D (wwh); 3rd January 2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Sorry, this got trapped as spam - no idea why!