Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: 1st Cache in UK??

sxparx Guest

Default 1st Cache in UK??

Where was the first cache in the UK? and is it still there now?

If not where is the oldest existing UK cache?

Thanx

Have a look at the listing for Englands First cache (which wasn't) and you'll see the link to Fringe of Epping Forest (which was). Apparently.

For a list of the oldest and still active UK caches have a look here on the iCache site: Ye Olde Caches.

We took our caching name from the first cache we ever found, which was The First in Wales cache, situated on the Blorenge near Abergavenny.

sxparx Guest

perfect......just what i was looking for

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    Have a look at the listing for Englands First cache (which wasn't) and you'll see the link to Fringe of Epping Forest (which was). Apparently.
    Fringe of Epping was placed in 2001 with a waypoint of GC144. I understood the first in England was "England's First!" placed on 6/6/2000 with a waypoint of GC4E, https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cach...ils.aspx?ID=78

Note the history of this cache is listed in the logs at the bottom of the page.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

Mmm! Beer!! :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by The Wombles View Post
    Fringe of Epping was placed in 2001 with a waypoint of GC144. I understood the first in England was "England's First!" placed on 6/6/2000 with a waypoint of GC4E, https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cach...ils.aspx?ID=78

Note the history of this cache is listed in the logs at the bottom of the page.
    Thanks for that extra information on the older cache. I wasn't sure of the details, hence my "apparently" comment.

I also have this list which may be of interest. I don't know how accurate it is as I notice that Ireland's Bray Head GC43 cache shows as Archived when it's definately active: The World's Oldest 100 caches (maybe)
    Last edited by Mrs Blorenge; 7th January 2010 at 09:21 AM.