Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Favourite Cache(s)

Default Favourite Cache(s)

Post up the name & GC number of your favourite cache(s) and a short description but just in case it is a trcky one beware of what you say!!!

To start the ball rolling here is one of our favourite.
    Three twelfths of a cache GC1E91G .
    Having read a few of the logs I decided to venture out for this on my own (the wife was under the weather) and made a complete hash of looking for it. Two days later I returned with the wife and lo and behold she spotted it straight away, a very clever hide indeed.

Ibsley WWII RDF Site - GCHA4E

It's a still-active virtual high up on Ibsley Common in the New Forest. It was my last cache of the day, and I was going into hospital for an operation the following day, which gave things a certain poignancy.

It was a long walk, which I tried to shorten by finding a nearer parking spot. That was my mistake - I set off on foot only to find myself in a bog... The ground ahead looked ok, so I thought I'd soon be on solid ground... Wrong... By the time I realised I was wrong it seemed best to push on...

It was February and there was a bitter wind driving drizzle almost horizontally across the Common. The cache is at the top of a hill, and by the time I reached it there was just enough daylight left to take the proof photo. Needless to say, I took a different route back to the car!

When I got there, I was shivering, soaked to the skin, and with trousers plastered with mud up to my knees... But it really was my favourite cache!

I love a nice walk...
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

One of my favourite caches is

World Cache (United Kingdom) - GCWDD0

Maybe beacuse it was brand new and there was the usual race to be FTF but with a difference - you had to liase with 4 other cachers in 4 countries to find out where to go next and then provide one of those cachers each time with another set of co-ords until you all had the final co-ords.

It was a fun couple of days - dashing out to find the next clue once you had the co-ords from one of the other cachers.

In the end we had 4 out of the 5 FTF's. The US cacher on another team had 'cheated' (creative thinking) and worked out the answers by looking at the listing source (now been fixed).

Great fun anyway - not sure if it would be as much fun now without the FTF to chase for.

:socool:
    Happy Caching

Gazooks

- Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age.