Hi there

First post - and having problems as it won't let me post links!!

I have been trying to place my first ever cache on land known as Therfield Heath (Hertfordshire). This land is owned by the Church Commissioners and managed (mostly) by volunteer trustees called Conservators.

However the land is Common land under a 1888 Act of Parliament. (It's been amend by a few Standing Orders but nothing significant).

Also on the Defra website (sorry this board won't let me post the link yet) - is PDF of common lands with permissions etc - and it says:

"
Access,
games and
reasonable
recreation:
whole"

I have checked on the by-laws posted up at the site too - and it seems to agree with this - listing a whole lot of things (e.g. fires) they consider to be "not reasonable" I guess! But Geocaching appears not to fall foul of any of them.

Given that

a) I had an informal chat with the part time warden/ranger
b) There is already a cache on the site
c) I didn't want to waste the time of the volunteer Trustees unnecessarily

I had assumed the Law was sufficient to give me permissions.

However my cache entry has been put on hold by the moderator pending (amongst a few other things) a email/letter permission.

So does anybody have an experience of sites with Common Land status such as this and can they shed any light on whether the provisions of Access in the Acts such as above are sufficient for placing a cache?

Thanks
Andy