Thanks Thanks:  5
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Warning - Groundspeak censoring cache logs

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    261

    Default Warning - Groundspeak censoring cache logs

    A warning to anyone who uses Groundspeak for any caching. It's been my custom for some time to mention other caching related sites as appropriate (such as a rating site, or nearby Opencaches or whatever) in my "found" logs on GC. Although I'm well aware from my years of being one of their volunteer reviewers they've banned links to other websites on cache pages I know there's never been a problem in individual logs.

    However I've just been contacted by a Groundspeak lackey and told to remove links to all external sites in my cache logs as these are now banned. So it now seems the censorship extends to what we want to say in logs as well.

    I've also been told to let Groundspeak know if I ever come across an external link in a cache log so they can remove it.

    So be warned - Big Brother is watching you!

    Sigh! :?

  2. #2
    keehotee Guest

    Default

    Probably not very PC of me to say it, but - fair enough.

    Groundspeak are there to make money - for the same reason, I wouldn't expect the OS to be too happy about links to OSM mapping on their forums, or Garmin to tolerate ads (albeit free ones) for Magellan.....

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    676

    Default

    Sorry But Geocaching.com is owned by Groundspeak, which is a business. So why would they allow links to another Listing Site? Just like any other business would not allow links to another related business, unless it was aimed at encouraging customers to ignore that other business.

    And to be brutally honest, having had a run in with Groundspeak within the last 12 months. About links to other Listing Sites, why are you surprised that they required the removal of the link from your Disable log on a cache you own. Not a find or DNF log on someone else's cache.

    The cache you own Listed on GC, was Disabled by you, so you attempt to use the Listing to send people to a Competitive Listing Site.

    I was made aware of the facts, as I was the local Reviewer copied in.

    Oh and you can link to a Rating Site such as icache, without issue. Just not other Geocache Listing Sites or Commercial Enterprises.

    Peter I'm well aware, and so are many others of your opinions of, and Dispute with Groundspeak. But please out of fairness to others, not fully aware of all the details. Give full information the next time you complain about Groundspeak.

    In this case that would be that you Linked to Opencaching UK in a log Disabling a cache you own on GC. Not a Found log to a cache you don't own so not really a case of Groundspeak censoring logs, more a requirement that a cache owner removes a active link on the cache page.

    Deci
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

    Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian View Post
    Sorry But Geocaching.com is owned by Groundspeak, which is a business. So why would they allow links to another Listing Site? Just like any other business would not allow links to another related business, unless it was aimed at encouraging customers to ignore that other business.

    And to be brutally honest, having had a run in with Groundspeak within the last 12 months. About links to other Listing Sites, why are you surprised that they required the removal of the link from your Disable log on a cache you own. Not a find or DNF log on someone else's cache.
    Well that's me told then, thanks Dave. The reason I was surprised is that in all my years as a Volunteer I thought I knew the rules which always used to be that links to external sites on Cache pages were disallowed but logs were given more or less free rein. That's what the "run in" as you so delicately put it was all about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian View Post
    Oh and you can link to a Rating Site such as icache, without issue. Just not other Geocache Listing Sites or Commercial Enterprises.
    Well actually you're wrong. If it had just been me linking to Opencaching I would have been miffed at the sudden change in interpretation but I could have accepted their reasoning. However I asked that specific question of the Groundspeak representative and to quote their replies to me in two separate e-mails:
    Dear Mr Howard,

    Thank you for assisting with our request. To clarify for you, we do not allow live links to external sites on cache pages in their entirety, which includes log posts.

    Sincerely,
    and
    Dear Mr Howard,

    Live links to sites, particularly of this nature, have not been allowed on geocaching.com for some time, but we understand that they may previously have been overlooked.

    You can report these on other cache pages to this email address. To that point, however, it would be unnecessary to search the site for this occurrence. If should happen on a live link on a cache page, please feel free to pass that information on.

    Thank you.
    It is quite clear from their reply that both links to competitive sites (although I see Opencaching as more of a "hobby site" than a real competitor!) AND ANY OTHER site are now forbidden in logs. They are also asking that any instances be reported to them if people come across them.
    Peter I'm well aware, and so are many others of your opinions of, and Dispute with Groundspeak. But please out of fairness to others, not fully aware of all the details. Give full information the next time you complain about Groundspeak.
    If "many others" are aware of my opinions then why bring them up each time I have a point to make? People will already know where I'm coming from.

    I joined Geocaching.com in its early days and watched it grow. I was happy to devote many hours of my time encouraging its growth in this country by being a volunteer reviewer and forum moderator for several years and I am still happy with my contribution. However as you well know I sensed a change in direction a couple of years ago and disagreed with what was happening. We both know that at the time all the UK reviewers shared that same view. I still hold to that view and I'm the sort of person who, if I think there's something wrong, I will say so. That's the way I am and I will not apologise for it.

    If I had voiced my criticism on the Groundspeak forums then I might accept a degree of censure for using the company's own resources to criticise it (even though I personally think it's a valid thing to do). But I didn't, I used an independent forum for all UK cachers.

    Finally, to answer Keehotee, please see my comment about Groundspeak banning ALL external links in logs now. I personally think this is going too far but I accept others may have different opinions.

  5. #5
    nobbynobbs Guest

    Default

    not joining in on either side but happy for both sides to be aired if you feel the need.
    it's not reasonable to expect to be able to speak on here without someone else voicing an opposing view and contrary view.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nobbynobbs View Post
    it's not reasonable to expect to be able to speak on here without someone else voicing an opposing view and contrary view.
    Absolutely, I'm all for free and open discussion and am happy to address opposing views in a civilised fashion.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hornet View Post
    Absolutely, I'm all for free and open discussion and am happy to address opposing views in a civilised fashion.
    There's one problem with that

    There's not a pint on one side of the table and a sparkling water :coffee: on the other side of the table now that is a very civilised fashion

    Dave

    And yes I still owe Peter many pints :cheers:
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

    Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian View Post



    And yes I still owe Peter many pints :cheers:


    .........????????? :cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Last edited by Bill D (wwh); 10th February 2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Fixed broken smiley

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian View Post
    There's one problem with that

    There's not a pint on one side of the table and a sparkling water :coffee: on the other side of the table now that is a very civilised fashion

    Dave

    And yes I still owe Peter many pints :cheers:
    Nothing civilised about sparkling water Now beer, that's another matter :cheers:

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dodgydaved View Post
    .........????????? :cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Yes and you as well Dave

    Dave
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

    Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •