Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: Holiday in Northern Ireland

Default Holiday in Northern Ireland

We are planning a holiday in NI, all being well at the end of April and the 1st week in May and would like to get ourselves organised!

MemoryMap has a 1:50k map set out now, has anyone used it? For £25.00 it should be a good basis on which to download caches. We have the 1:50k maps for the rest of the country and wouldn't be without them.

We usually plan our visit around caches that take us on country walks or to places of interest. We probably won't be looking for any urban caches!

Any suggestions on either of the above or anything else of interest would be most welcome.

Thanks L&H

Fianccetto Guest

Funny, we're doing the same, spending a week in Co.Wicklow on the way to stay with my friend in NI to celebrate her 40th. This will be the first time I've been to NI knowing about geocaching, so really looking forward to finding some new places.

Places I've been to in NI which I would heartily recommend...The Mourne Mountains, Castlewellen Country Park, The coast road up the Eastern side and across to the West. Newcastle is a very good seaside (treat yourselves to a night at 'The Hotel' and don't miss breakfast at Maud's, or the Pooh Bear icecream) The Giant's Causway is a must, Carrick-a-Rede bridge (if you're feeling adventurous). But of those, The Mournes are your best bet for immediate remoteness, and yet accessible for families and the less experienced/out of practice hill walker.

I'm told the Western counties are wilder, with more challenging terrain but I've not been, as it's more than a stone's throw from my friend so just haven't managed to tear myself away from her & her wonderful family for long enough.