Thanks Thanks:  2

Thread: Cache available to Premium Members Only

Default Cache available to Premium Members Only

I know that when setting a cache, a premium member can elect to have the cache details only available to other premium members.

But I didn't realise till today that this can be done retro-spectively.

This means that a non premium member can no longer look at a cache they've previously found, and if the cache is changed between them getting the info and finding it, they can't log their find.

This dosn't seem very fair. Wouldn't it be better to leave those caches and set more, or archive them?

Has it been discussed before?

Yes, it can be done retrospectively, and I agree that it doesn't seem very fair. In my early days of caching, before I became a Premium Member, I had the same thing happen to me. It seemed absurd that I'd found the cache and logged it, but couldn't read my own log.

I can only suggest that you raise the matter in the Geocaching.com Web Site forum on Groundspeak's forums. I'm sure it's been discussed before, but it just might prompt someone to take action.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

You can still log it if you found it.
    There is a back door, that was closed, but was re-opened. There is a thread on the US GS forum about it all. Jeremy (Head Honcho) is in saying he (Groundspeak) have no plans to close the door.

(I suppose you want the key now..?

I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

I didn't know that could be done!

I was curious, so I googled for the answer - gc's search is rather limited.

Here's the answer

Edit to add: I've made it a tinyurl as it's an extremely long address.
    Last edited by Bill D (wwh); 12th February 2010 at 09:14 PM. Reason: As above
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

The other option is just email the cache owner and explain the situation, they can then 'un' premium member it for you to log it before making PM only again.

I have done this to my caches to allow a non PM to log the cache after they found it whilst caching with a premium member.

That's great, thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D (wwh) View Post
    Yes, it can be done retrospectively, and I agree that it doesn't seem very fair. In my early days of caching, before I became a Premium Member, I had the same thing happen to me. It seemed absurd that I'd found the cache and logged it, but couldn't read my own log.
    Last time we checked some of our own finds that became "P.M. only "after we had found ,and logged , we discovered we could still read our own found log via our gallery if we had included a photo with our log.
    We like Greens

Simply Paul Guest

You can also use https://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1&lt=2 to list all your finds, with links to logs, if you like. It might take a while to load if you've got a slow connection and/or lots of finds though.

My daughter is not a PM but as I am we visit the caches and then upload the field notes on her account, she can then log the finds but can not view the cache pages.