Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Globalsat Director GD101

Treacle Guest

Default Globalsat Director GD101

Hi,

New here and hoping to get my 9yo son into Geocaching. He seems quite keen at the moment, but knowing what kids this age are like, I don't want to go mad buying an expensive GPS only to find its a 1 hit wonder! Looked at 2nd hand but never sure what you are getting and how its been treated, so decided against that.

Been searching online and come across this:

http://www.globalsat.co.uk/product_pages/g...cking_GD101.htm

Looks like it will take manual progamming of co-ordinates, but not knowing the first thing about GPS, wondered if anyone can tell me whether its suitable for Geocaching.

I've found it on offer for £19.99 (usually £50) with free postage if I order before 5pm tomorrow, so prompt replies for or against would be great.

Thanks
    Last edited by Bill D (wwh); 13th February 2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Approved link by new user

I think it can only Mark the position you are (your car in the car park), so you can navigate back there.
    Not sure if you can enter co-ordinates (the cache) so you can navigate to it.

The other option is... Where are you?
    Maybe you could tag a long with another cacher/family sometime, to see if the lad is interested.
    Last edited by Bear and Ragged; 13th February 2010 at 05:11 PM.
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

Quote Originally Posted by Bear and Ragged View Post
    I think it can only Mark the position you are (your car in the car park), so you can navigate back there.
    Not sure if you can enter co-ordinates (the cache) so you can navigate to it.

The other option is... Where are you?
    Maybe you could tag a long with another cacher/family sometime, to see if the lad is interested.
    You can enter co-ordinates into it, though there's no information about whether you can enter more than one set.

As far as I can see from the details given, it could be a good starter at that price, but if you get hooked you'll probably want something that can store co-ords for quite a few caches, and the facility to connect to your computer so that you don't have to enter co-ords manually.

Going along with another cacher(s) in your area is a good suggestion for getting to know the ropes.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

"The Target Position feature allows the user to manually input the longitude/latitude of particular destination and travel to it."

Not sure how accurate that device would be. Designed to get you back to your (rather large) vehicle. Good idea about seeing if other geo-cacher woould help out initially. Better to find out sooner rather than later if your son is going to enjoy rambling around in the middle of nowhere finding small boxes
    He who hesitates is not only lost, but miles from the next exit.

How Many Roads Must A Man Walk Down Before He Admits Hes lost?

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. - TS ELLIOT

Treacle Guest

Thanks for replies.

You can enter destination co-ordinates into it - up to 5 sets (just found another review online). I agree it seems pretty basic and I wouldn't pay the normal £50 price for it, but still quite tempted to give it a go at the reduced price. Might not suit the serious, dedicated cacher though. Still looking through eBay so might yet come up with something better .

We enjoy walking as a family anyway, so finding a cache would just be an extra dimension to our usual Sunday afternoon ramble!

We are in Cornwall.

Thanks again.

Hi - not sure where in Cornwall you are but if you can make it to Princetown on Dartmoor for the 21st Feb there is a geocaching event which includes a number of workshops about geocaching and GPS receivers. There is another event near Gunnislake on the 28th Feb.
    You'd probably find the Dartmoor one very useful and events are great opportunities to meet other cachers (young and old) and get practical hands on.

Chris (MrB)

Handtec are flogging a refurbished Etrex H (with 12 month warranty) for £46.99 here
    http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php...ly-overhauled-

The Etrex will hold 500 caches, and many people have used it for years of successful caching (including me).

I have no connection to Handtec, but I have bought several items off them and have always found them to be competitively priced and haven't had any problems with them.

If you turn up at the Dartmoor event I am sure you will find at least one cacher who will let you go out with them and try it for yourself. If not, I intend to be there and will be happy to help you out.
    Which area of Cornwall are you in?