Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Please help....new starter...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Red face Please help....new starter...

Hello, everyone,

We now have the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx, but the user manual assumes a level of knowledge/competence we simply don't have. We seek an idiot-proof guide or link to somewhere that can spell out in step by step form what we need to do to initialise the unit and load on maps sufficient to get a basic start on geocaching. Help!

Hi
    I can point you to my resource website where you'll find information about coordinates and map datums to make sure you have the GPS on the correct settings - link under my signature go to the GPS and Coordinates page.
    As for maps, well.... there are several options. Have a look at this thread currently running in the UK Geocaching forum from 'talkytoaster' who has compiled maps for the GPS. You can also buy the Garmin topo maps of the UK (bit pricey) - talkytoasters are free!!

If you are brand new to using the GPS here is a quick and easy way to learn how to use it. Stand outside your house and when it has a good signal just mark your location (press and hold the joystick down). Then go for a walk about quarter of a mile away. Select the waypoint and navigate back to your house.... The user manual will help you with doing this bit. Read up on the compass too - it is magnetic and will need calibrating.

Chris (MrB)
    Resource website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Default Mapping for Garmin Vista HCx

Thank you, Chris, for this very helpful update. I've had a good look on the links you suggest. Nevertheless I'm prepared to be advised about a good free map to get started with. Does one download the mapping onto PC, then fire it over to the unit via USB cable?
    Also, is it possible to chat instantly to members who are on-line on this site? If so, how?
    Thanks once again,
    Geoff

Alternatively if the websites dont get results, look around for events organized near you, there wil always be someone around willing to show you what needs doing. Bring a laptop if possible, if not someone can probably source one for the night .
    Some people are more 'visual' and hands on inclined when it comes to things like this, me being one of them half the time.
    Last edited by Ryuchan; 23rd February 2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: cos i r bad at spellingz

Care to let us know where you are?
    Even just the county may get someone to offer help, or point you in the direction of an event or meeting.

And Welcome!
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

Default from captainblue

Thank you all for your prompt and helpful replies.

I am in Salisbury and would welcome the opportunity of joining an event or a small group of like-minded folk who can give the heads-up on getting started.
    Have Garmin and lap-top....will travel!