Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: PMR hand held radio

RuberyBlue Guest

Default PMR hand held radio

Has anyone used PMR hand held radio whilst out caching? Are they much use? Is there much of a geocache community using them? Would you recommend any make/ model? I noticed a few cachers planning to attend next weeks Severn Bore Earthcache (GCN6EP) will be using them to co-ordinate meet-ups etc.

RB

We always carry a pir so as we can keep in contatc with each othere if we seperate to hunt and don't want to shout.
    Have tried having mine on scan and have, as yet, never contacted another cacher on it.

keehotee Guest

We use them as a couple - but the only caching group that seem to use them regularly are the south Wales bunch.
    Caching channel in this country is 3:33 - if you're buying a pair, make sure you get them with privacy channels. The ordinary 8 channel sets will let you broadcast on Channel 3(including all sub channels), but you won't be able to hear anything on 3:33
    Last edited by keehotee; 24th February 2010 at 02:24 PM.

we hardly ever split up, and if we do, we just use a mobile phone.
    imo, not a lot of point carrying kit/weight you dont really need.

Quote Originally Posted by keehotee View Post
    We use them as a couple - but the only caching group that seem to use them regularly are the south Wales bunch.
    Caching channel in this country is 3:33 - if you're buying a pair, make sure you get them with privacy channels. The ordinary 8 channel sets will let you broadcast on Channel 3(including all sub channels), but you won't be able to hear anything on 3:33
    Thats not quite correct you will be able to hear anyone using a privacy channel equipped handheld using 3:33 if you have a normal handheld but they will not be able to hear you reply from a non privacy channel equipped radio as you will be replying on channel 3 without the sub audiable tones .

keehotee Guest

Thanks for the clarification.

I originally posted it your way - but convinced myself it was the other way around....

Quote Originally Posted by keehotee View Post
    Make sure the privacy channels (CTCSS codes) are matched. I have 2 Motorola pmr's, and an Icom ic-F4029sdr.. The Icom has way more codes, 50 instead of the usual 38, that do not match the cheaper radios.. f'rinstance, my Mots use channel 3, sub code 33, but the Icom uses channel 3 sub code 43...

Quote Originally Posted by Rampton Broadmoore View Post
    Make sure the privacy channels (CTCSS codes) are matched. I have 2 Motorola pmr's, and an Icom ic-F4029sdr.. The Icom has way more codes, 50 instead of the usual 38, that do not match the cheaper radios.. f'rinstance, my Mots use channel 3, sub code 33, but the Icom uses channel 3 sub code 43...
    The Icom is a more professional version of the cheaper PMR radios hence the difference . Have a look at

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archi...df/mpt1306.pdf

and

http://southwalesgeocachers.co.uk/forum/radio/index.htm
    Last edited by Matrix; 8th March 2010 at 04:14 PM.