Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: TNLN or trade.....that is the question!

Default TNLN or trade.....that is the question!

I have set a few caches lately, and tried to fill them with nice, usable, albeit inexpensive items. Now, up here in the very North of Cumbria, there is only a handful of active cachers.....and most of them TNLN. This is not a criticism by any means, it's just what I have noticed. I used to trade when I first started, way back in 2001, but must confess that over the last 5 or 6 years, I have TNLN 99.9% of the time, as the finding of the cache, and seeing other places is the "real treasure".

What do other cachers do in your part of the country?

Gaz

TNLN 99.9% of time .

Finding tarnished £1 coin in gravel car park on way to a cache in Hampshire this week was nice .
    We like Greens

TNLN a lot of the time but if it is a nice cache that we think would appeal to familes we leave a couple of kiddy type swaps, still TN.
    Have just had some calender cards (wallet size) made and have started to leave 2 or 3 in caches for others to take.

TNLN usually for me, although I do carry a bit of "swag" so if a cache is a big one and not got much in I sometimes leave something to make it nicer, and occasionally I see something I would like so I "swap". Most of the caches I find, the logs have a lot of TNLN.

For me the plastic stuff in caches is just to keep the kids interested - I ignore it unless they're with me.

nobbynobbs Guest

mostly tnln unless i manage to get the kid (s) out with me

Not many swaps in a micro!
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

molfrew-mosstoad Guest

If we are out with the kids we usually swap if not its TNLN unless the cache is lacking in items to swap then we tend to leave whatever we have (we usually keep a few swaps just incase) for the next lot of kids to find.

Our youngest is always dissapointed when you find a cache which is big enough to hold swaps but has sweet fanny adams inside.

molfrew-mosstoad Guest

If we are out with the kids we usually swap if not its TNLN unless the cache is lacking in items to swap then we tend to leave whatever we have (we usually keep a few swaps just incase) for the next lot of kids to find.

Our youngest is always dissapointed when you find a cache which is big enough to hold swaps but has sweet fanny adams inside.

I'm finding I TNLN more and more these days. Tend to swap if the cache is a well stocked bigger one.
    Happy Caching

Gazooks

- Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age.

I used to swap, until I had 4 FTF's where I emptied my cache bag out, to fill them up. So cachers with young ones, would at least have something to find. After that I stopped.

Funnily enough all four were eventually adopted by local caches.

Deci
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

RuberyBlue Guest

Since the last of my Geo kids moved into her teenage years I'm definitely a TNLN unless the cache is light (always carry Geo badges etc) when I will attempt to make it more attractive. Still stocking my own caches up annually despite adverstising "Trade up, Trade equal, Don't trade!"

RB
    KRO!

I used to swap all the time but now I TNLN unless I see something I want.

Ahhh, so most people TNLN, unless with kids. It was what I sorta thought, as I am the same, early years with the kids....trade, later years just us....TNLN!

Thanks for the replies.

Oh......and I will still stock my caches up with goodies!

Gaz

I think many TNLN because some other inconsiderate person has either taken something and not left anything or has left some junk.
    Recent items I have seen in caches are condoms, lemsip, tissues (unwrapped), single playing cards, buttons
    Why would anyone want to take these?
    It is better to TNLN if you have nothing of equal value to leave.
    It would be nice if everyone could TUTE (trade up or trade even) as it is very disappointing taking the kids caching for them to find nothing.
    To them geocaching is like a treasure hunt and they get excited at finding fun things and disappointed when we tell them they can't take the funny little silver wrapper with Durex written on it or the Lemsip sherbet dipdab

Mostly a TNLN even with the kids in tow as there is not much worth swapping out there for them mostly mctat. But I normally carry a swap bag so they will swap if there is something worth having. We do top up some of the more barren caches as well but not all the time.

with kid - swap usually whatever he wants or at times leave just something he wants to leave
    alone/with Susan - hardly ever trade, but cito covertly and not so covertly quite a bit at times.