Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: Wildlife Trust

Default Wildlife Trust

Morning all

I am just in the process of trying to get permission to place a cache on Sussex Wildlife Trust land.

I see that caching has been banned in certain areas of the country on Wildlife Trust Land.

1) Is there any background details on why it is banned - just in case I get asked.

2) Do you think it is likely to affect my application?

Thanks in Advance

Chris

Hopefully the different areas will look at applications with an open mind.

Some Wildlife Trusts have given permission and are listed in our permissions database. Last week I exchanged mails with Staffordshire Wildlife Trust who have permitted caching for several years and they said " We haven't experienced any issues relating to geocaching " .

I hope that you are successful.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

Thanks Dave - I had missed those whilst scanning through the database.

Fingers crossed

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by The_Street_Searchers View Post
    Morning all

I am just in the process of trying to get permission to place a cache on Sussex Wildlife Trust land.

I see that caching has been banned in certain areas of the country on Wildlife Trust Land.

1) Is there any background details on why it is banned - just in case I get asked.

2) Do you think it is likely to affect my application?

Thanks in Advance

Chris
    I don't know whether SWT have given permission for geocaches, although I do occasionally work for them. Some reserves would be far more suitable than others and anything a long way from a path would not be a good idea. Certain habitats are very sensitive too. If it's in West Sussex and you want to pm me with the name of the reserve and vague location for the cache, I could have a look and see if there are any obvious concerns.
    Sarah (natterjacktoad)

nobbynobbs Guest

I've posted in several threads. sue telfer from hampshire wildlife trust is more than happy to be mentioned and to be contacted by any other trust so that she can recommend that they allow caching.
    the hants agreement is a fairly simple affair that works fine.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Sarah - its Withdean Woods which is just behind withdean stadium in Brighton.

The area is run in conjunction with a local volunteer groug and Brighton Council.

Chris

I'm in the process of creating overlays for Google maps to go into the GAGB land owner agreement database for Hampshire Wildlife Trust (I've done the IoW and about 1/4 of the Hants ones themselves). It's quite easy as they have nice easy to read and use reserve maps.
    So if you can get maps (of any sort - digital mapping would be ideal) for Sussex I can do the same for them.

Chris (MrB)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Street_Searchers View Post
    Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Sarah - its Withdean Woods which is just behind withdean stadium in Brighton.

The area is run in conjunction with a local volunteer groug and Brighton Council.

Chris
    Ah! The bit between Easr and West Sussex I'm not familiar with the area unfortunately so I'm not much use to you

Unfortunatly I have been unsuccessful in my request and have found out that Sussex Wildlife Trust has banned caching in their reserves. Full details are in the Landowner Permissions section

Chris

RuberyBlue Guest

Are they really saying placed Geocaches are attracting litter! Have we tried selling on the idea of GAGB CITO?

RB
    KRO!

A CITO is always a good suggestion especially if you get the "friends off" involved.

I was going to suggest a CITO event as there have been a number of successful sussex events in the past however I think for the moment I will let this one rest..A year is a long time and the woods arn't going anywhere.