Thanks Thanks:  23

Thread: GAGB Calendar

RuberyBlue Guest

Default GAGB Calendar

Hi All,

I have just spent an hour or so updating the GAGB calendar with this summer's upcoming events (so far!).

• So if you have day trips or holidays planned take a look and see if there's an event you could take in.
    • If your planning an event please feel free to check out any clashes and to add the details to the calendar.

I was planning to check/ update this on a weekly basis but wondered if I may be wasting my time. Please check out my poll so I can gauge the value of this.

Any comments (I know I should have something better to do)

RB
    KRO!

uk89camaro Guest

"I have just spent an hour or so updating the GAGB calendar "

....somebody else spent a few weeks negotiating a user licence with groundspeak to achieve this and much more. The GAGB requested a share of that data from icache and was legimately denied. The icache agreement is for the icache.co.uk domain only, and therefore cannot be streamed through to the GAGB site. Do you have the relevant permissions to list the event calender?

It also appears that certain members of the GAGB have created some quite vitriolic hate posts on various internet sites, against the creator of icache, for which they should be ashamed.

This event calendar has been around for years - I actually added my own event to it back in 2008, so don't see why it has suddenly become an issue.

Ok, I can see that it isn't very useful without everyone adding their own events ... but don't see why GAGB needs Groundspeak permission to have this calendar available on this site (if it was, then I assume it would have been picked up on many years ago).

I agree, it would be great to have all the events automatically added ... but if that is not allowed (not sure if GAGB have approached Groundspeak) then any cacher that wants to add their own event here should be allowed to .... or if RuberyBlue wants to spend his own time doing so then good for him.

However, I would like to say that I do like the 'event map' on the icache website (and some of the other features) and find it very useful to see if there is an event in an area that I may be working/staying in during the following week. It is much easier than going through the GC.com event lists and having to click on each one to see the location.

I just need to sort out an event .... then I can add it to the calendar

Quote Originally Posted by uk89camaro View Post

....somebody else spent a few weeks negotiating a user licence with groundspeak to achieve this and much more. The GAGB requested a share of that data from icache and was legimately denied. The icache agreement is for the icache.co.uk domain only, and therefore cannot be streamed through to the GAGB site. Do you have the relevant permissions to list the event calender?

It also appears that certain members of the GAGB have created some quite vitriolic hate posts on various internet sites, against the creator of icache, for which they should be ashamed.
    Can you point me to the request? I am not aware of this or that the info was taken from icache.

All a little OTT

RuberyBlue Guest

I think this comment is totally irrelevant. I sat for an hour or so with the weekly upcoming notification email and manually entered them! I will continue to do so as its nothing other cachers don't get!

RB
    KRO!

Simply Paul Guest

That's that 'mystery' solved then. Thanks for your efforts RuberyBlue; it's a handy resource.

maybe this outburst is more to do with the owners lack of respect to people within the community where he has threatened and has in the past named people identifying them to their real identity if they wanted it or not. Evertbodys privacy should be respected he does not quite seem to get this.

uk89camaro, since all submissions remain the property of the copyright owner (i.e. the person that submitted them) then we are all entitled to advertise our submissions anywhere we like. As I understand it, the license to use the data obtained by iCache does not constitute a monopoly of it's use.

As for the comments made by others, the creator of iCache has cultivated those feelings by their actions in the past and with this complaint has stirred them up again.

From what I have seen over the past 24 hours or so, people are happy for their submissions to be listed anywhere as long as noone tries to claim a monopoly or mis-represents them in any way. I suggest all this fuss ends now and we all get on with this wonderful hobby of ours.

uk89camaro Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lost it View Post
    maybe this outburst is more to do with the owners lack of respect to people within the community where he has threatened and has in the past named people identifying them to their real identity if they wanted it or not. Evertbodys privacy should be respected he does not quite seem to get this.
    You make me laugh. You want privacy respected, and yet your members quite happily call him a t0$$er, Tw@t, and more on a public forum. I laugh at your "how very dare you" attitude.

You make me laugh. You want privacy respected, and yet your members quite happily call him a t0$$er, Tw@t, and more on a public forum. I laugh at your "how very dare you" attitude.
    now what does that have to do with GAGB ....nothing that conversation was not conducted here, some of the people are not even members, whilst others will hardly frequent GAGB. As for treating this as a joke I think that sums up both of your attidutes - why should anyone trust either of you with their details when its clear that if peoples opinions do not match your own you will stab them in the back and see it as a joke

It is your attitudes that fueling the whole thing, some things will come back and bite you sometimes. It may not happen immediately as you may be given the benefit of the doubt. In some instances there has been a previous catalyst that has layed dormant and the recent event has activated it to ignite the fires, enforcing and sharing their thoughts.

its obvious to me that you don't know all the facts and all the reasons behind the whole conversation on facebook and where different people where coming from

nobbynobbs Guest

and i thought i'd just use the opportunity of a public discussion to advise event owners directly or via their friends of the fact that their intellectual property rights are being treated as a commodity and that maybe they may wish to consider posting permission.

i do hope that action did not overstep the bounds of the chairman of the association?

Please note:

Confirmation has been received from Groundspeak that the calender is fine.

Just to say: Thank you MrsB for taking the sensible option and emailing Groundspeak for confirmation
    Last edited by Mongoose39uk; 10th May 2010 at 06:04 PM.

keehotee Guest

Thanks Tony, and Lucilla.

iCache Guest

With all the original toy flying lots of confusion has generated over the original complaint, that said I the email has probably has been seen by more people than it would have if I'd opted to post it on open forum.

One North West cacher even openly offered to forward it on to others via a post on emCache

AND PEOPLE SAY I HAVE DATA PROTECTION ISSUES!

Anyway, back to the original complaint - I made no claims of site scraping nor did I say people could not link other cache listings in posts. What I was complaining about was the blatant coping of data from iCache, NOT geocaching.com or the weekly emails.

When the calendar was first updated, iCache's data was 6 days out of date and was not in sync with the event listings on geocaching.com - this inconsistency proved the original source.

If you had responded and said that you would check the details with Groundspeak or at the very least communicated a civil way we would not be in this situation now.

Instead members of the GAGB along with committee members decided that a thread on a publicly accessible facebook page containing 70+ comments of serious personal abuse in my direction was more appropriate - one person even stooped to the levels of looking up my home village and then posted a link for the local rat exterminator - DO YOU PEOPLE HAVE ANY SELF RESPECT!

I'll take no claims of innocence - with the exception of one, all participants of that thread were to blame. Ultimately that thread was under the responsibility of a GAGB committee member - a position I certainly considered to be no longer tenable.

I find it very typical of certain users here that many of the above posts seem to point at my reaction and would rather avoid posting about what caused it......and lets face it....*THAT* facebook thread was the lowest act ever performed by the UK community and was made even worse with the involvement of those who supposed to oversee it.

Staying with that thread, GAGB Committee Member DrDick&Vick called for a boycott of iCache and suggested the use of a variant on the following template, I think its about time I used it.

Would you please arrange to remove any memberships details relating to me from your site please.

In this case all details relating to the accounts of users "The Web Rat" and "iCache".

Thank you

I will reconsider my position after the next GAGB election, that's assuming you get enough applicants to hold one.

Goodbye

nobbynobbs Guest

Without meaning to continue an argument or throw any mud but i think some clarity is required due to possible ambiguity over the original email. i think it's quite clear what was said and what icache wanted us to do:

"I have been made aware that UK events listed on http://geocaching.com have been copied over to the GAGB calendar.

As a Groundspeak data licence holder for UK I would like to make a formal request that this event data is removed IF the event host has not given permission for their respective event to be hosted on a third party site. If the data is not removed within 7 days I will submit a complaint to Groundspeak citing copyright issues.

On looking at the person who has posted these events on the GAGB its become obvious this has been done with intention of competing directly with iCache.

It took time and great effort to setup iCache's agreement with Groundspeak and a huge amount of time is put into maintaining the site, it might seem petty to some but to me this is very serious.

Regards,"

now the email has been made public, i'll take any complaints about releasing it because it wasn't released before but is now.
    can we now please put this matter to sleep.
    Last edited by nobbynobbs; 11th May 2010 at 07:37 AM.

uk89camaro Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nobbynobbs View Post
    Without meaning to continue an argument or throw any mud but i think some clarity is required due to possible ambiguity over the original email. i think it's quite clear what was said and what icache wanted us to do:

now the email has been made public, i'll take any complaints about releasing it because it wasn't released before but is now.
    can we now please put this matter to sleep.
    That email was made public on www.emache.com at least two days ago, and the whole thread was deleted by Tim in an effort to not continue the flaming and name calling, as he had taken a personal hit on that based on the e-mail he sent.

Personally, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the e-mail. Might have been a bit to the point, but not abusive in any way, which provoked a massive personal attack on him.

It appears that a number of GAGB members have a massive fit of jealousy over the agreement that icache has negotiated with GS.

Does nobody here do politics?

nobbynobbs Guest

LOL we were so envious of the agreement we happily had a link to icache.

remind me, who was it said that we weren't allowed to display ANY links or info of gc.com event caches because of THEIR agreement?

icache's response on this thread was one sided and an innaccurate summary of the email that had been sent, making it appear to have been a completely legit complaint about site scraping, without permission, from icache or gc.com. Whereas the actual email was short and blunt telling us we had no right to list links to events on our site without the direct insertion by the event owner threatening to report us to gc.com and possibly incur some legal come back for the transgression.

So i hope i have now covered why i have published it here as a direct rebuttal of that thread reply.

Quote Originally Posted by RuberyBlue View Post
    I think this comment is totally irrelevant. I sat for an hour or so with the weekly upcoming notification email and manually entered them! I will continue to do so as its nothing other cachers don't get!

RB
    KRO!
    I just noticed that someone has commented in the Groundspeak forum that alot of the Mega Scotland 'side events' are not on the GAGB calendar even though I know some of them have been published for a while.

Therefore, I have just looked at my Groundspeak newsletter from last week and found that none of the Scottish events are listed. The event furthest away from me is 198 miles so perhaps there is a distance limit on the newsletter.

If you are going to continue to update them (great if you have time/are willing), then you may be best to use the 'Advanced search' facility.

Continue the good work RuberyBlue

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Leaf View Post
    I just noticed that someone has commented in the Groundspeak forum that alot of the Mega Scotland 'side events' are not on the GAGB calendar even though I know some of them have been published for a while.

Therefore, I have just looked at my Groundspeak newsletter from last week and found that none of the Scottish events are listed. The event furthest away from me is 198 miles so perhaps there is a distance limit on the newsletter.

If you are going to continue to update them (great if you have time/are willing), then you may be best to use the 'Advanced search' facility.

Continue the good work RuberyBlue
    Thanks Maple Leaf. These Scottish events are presumably listed on icache since it sources data direct from GC.com, so this reinforces RuberyBlue's statement that he used his newsletter as the data source.

Thanks for your work, RuberyBlue.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

Updated, but I will add that there is the facility for any GAGB Member to add their own events.

uk89camaro Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nobbynobbs View Post
    LOL we were so envious of the agreement we happily had a link to icache.

remind me, who was it said that we weren't allowed to display ANY links or info of gc.com event caches because of THEIR agreement?

icache's response on this thread was one sided and an innaccurate summary of the email that had been sent, making it appear to have been a completely legit complaint about site scraping, without permission, from icache or gc.com. Whereas the actual email was short and blunt telling us we had no right to list links to events on our site without the direct insertion by the event owner threatening to report us to gc.com and possibly incur some legal come back for the transgression.

So i hope i have now covered why i have published it here as a direct rebuttal of that thread reply.
    No you have not, as you clearly cannot put one word after another that makes any sort of sense. You ramble from one point to another without linking them up. The email sent to GABG from iCache was 100% reproduced without edit. Whilst some might think it was curt, it as accurate and not abusive, nor even sarcastic. Just a statement of the facts.

The GAGB are clearly presenting a jealous view of the iCache agreement that TWR arranged, and are trying to dilute and/or hijack that arrangement.

Now, would you like to park this, or would you prefer to continue the confrontational nature of the thread. I can do either quite frankly.

I think that now is the time to close this thread. (or as suggested 'Parked')
    Last edited by DrDick&Vick; 13th May 2010 at 10:21 PM.